1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Dmoz link is more important than 1000 PR5s

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seo-boy, Jun 27, 2007.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And the value of those links on "100 other directories" is.... nil.

minstrel, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  2. flippers.be

flippers.be Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so.. he has PR4, I have PR3.. his site has less content

a search for his domainname in google does turn up about 350 hits (of which about 200 in categories copied from dmoz)
    for my site I get only about 40 results (yeah I'm busy working on backlinks now)

google doesn't show all backlinks but there is a huge difference.. so even if all those links don't matter a lot, the do have a bit of influence..

flippers.be, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  3. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Page Rank and the ODP have little to no relationship. I have a site that is listed 3 times in the directory. It is a Church site with a link in Regional, in Society/Churches, and in Society/Sermons. My site has been listed for at least 2 years and it has a Google Page Rank of 2. It had a Page Rank of 2 before it was listed in the directory, and it remains 2 after being listed in the directory.

Searching for my domain name shows 168 hits in Google. A couple are related to the directory, the rest are ones I manually submitted to other sites for a backlink.

gboisseau, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    An opinion that you hold despite evidence to the contrary. "A bit more" - how do you quantify "counts a bit more"? How do you separate the effect of one link, from the effects of other links, from on-page factors and even good site navigation/intralinking?

An anecdote comparing your site to your competitor's site, describing what you perceive to be a small difference, when colored with the prejudice of an a priori belief that the dmoz link might be worth more will not convince anybody, and it shoudn't convince you, either.

The closest thing you have to a "proof" is to look at the mimimal amount of PR that a listed website can have, if it has no other link than the dmoz link.

In fact, the value of a dmoz link might actually be ZERO.

Take a look at this category:
    google.com/Shopping/Crafts/Multiple_Craft_Artisans/
    There are a lot of PR0 websites. Not the type of sites that are from bad neighborhoods and might be penalized, right? Now, ignore the fact that many links are broken and leading to parked domains, this is due to the fact that Google hasn't updated the directory in two years.

On dmoz.org, this page has PR5. That's pretty good, isn't it? You'd expect that a link from a PR5 page to transfer quite a bit of good PR, right?

Given how little you need to go from PR0 to PR1, wouldn't you expect that there would not be a site on this page with PR less than 1?

But you have 13, that's right, 13 that have ZERO PR. And they all have a link on a PR5 dmoz page!!!

melindaseverything.tripod.com/business/id2.html, geocities.com/outontheporch/, ginnyscottage.com, willowrun.tripod.com, RememberMeArt.com, square-one-design.com, angeldustcraft.co.uk, creationsbycrouch.com, sunrisecrafts.com, designsbybrenda.safewebshop.com, theherbalnook.com, lawilderdesigns.com, and madebyangel.com

Now, these are PR0 as displayed in Google Directory toolbars. Using an PR checker shows that many of these sites might actually have PR3. sunrisecrafts.com, designsbybrenda.safewebshop.com are actual PR0.

Two websites on with links on that dmoz PR5 page actually have PR0!

Probe a little deeper, and Google "sunrisecrafts.com" and "designsbybrenda.safewebshop.com".

Using the "link:" command you will see that Google only records ONE link for this site, that is, the dmoz link. Now search without the "link" command, only the domain name. You should have over 400 results, most of them being DMOZ clones. Still, sunrisecrafts PR is ZERO.

Try again with "designsbybrenda.safewebshop.com" and Google doesn't even list the dmoz link with the "link" command! Search the domain name and you'll see that this site has actually has a few links that aren't dmoz clones. Still, PR is ZERO.

Looking at actual EVIDENCE, you might be forgiven for concluding that a dmoz link is worth LESS than a regular link. ;-) It sure isn't worth more.

helleborine, Jul 3, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  5. flippers.be

flippers.be Peon

Best Answers:
    ok thanks for the information.. one learns every day here :)

flippers.be, Jul 3, 2007 IP
  6. SEOBoy

SEOBoy Banned

Best Answers:
    DMOZ Listing got nothing to do with ranking #1 Dude :p

SEOBoy, Jul 14, 2007 IP