1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is my host screwing me over? [SQLite Database-Related]

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by NewshotDCB, Jul 2, 2007.

I am new to webdesign and everything that surrounds it. I bought a hosting package that came without a MySQL Database. However, I found out I needed one in order to host a forum. I looked into a forum that ran on SQLite instead.

I found out that PHP5 comes with a SQLite Database. My host supports PHP5 in all of their hosting packages. I asked them if they supported SQLite and they said no. How can this be?

This is a description of their support for PHP5 that was on my sign-up page.

"PHP
    PHP5 is a server-side HTML embedded scripting language. PHP is ideal for the creation of dynamic data-driven web sites. PHP5 is fully enabled on all of our packages."

Do I have a case in which I can complain? What should I do?

If I am wrong I can take the worsts of your criticism, but please make it constructive.

I copied this post to this section because it is related to databases as well as PHP. I need as much feedback possible.

NewshotDCB, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  2. UnrealEd

UnrealEd Peon

Best Answers:
    The php_sqlite extension needs to be loaded into the php core. Your host company can, if they like, remove this extension. So if it's not enabled, you can't use it (run a phpinfo page on your server to see what modules are installed)

As far as i can see: No. You didn't order a MySQL database (probably they'll include SQLite as well, when you order one), and they didn't say in the description that a database is accessible for you. They only say it's a perfect language to combine whith a database and that php5 is fully enabled (which doesn't necessarily mean that all extensions should be available)

The only solution i see is to switch to a different hosting plan, one that includes a database.

UnrealEd, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  3. xxKillswitch

xxKillswitch Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are paying for hosting, I would definetly look for another host that will offer MySQL with their hosting package. You can find this in shared hosting at GoDaddy / Hostgator for like $5 a month or so.

xxKillswitch, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  4. NewshotDCB

NewshotDCB Peon

Best Answers:
    My info says this.

SQLite support -- enabled (This is the heading column which is purple)

PECL Module version -- 2.0-dev $Id: sqlite.c,v 1.166.2.13.2.5 2006/10/20 21:28:31 tony2001 Exp $

SQLite Library -- 2.8.17

SQLite Encoding -- iso8859

If it is enabled, how do I check to see if it works?

If it isn't enabled, why would they disable a feature that would make their service better?

NewshotDCB, Jul 2, 2007 IP
  5. myfrogger

myfrogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really, really is not worth the time dealing with this. Just find a reputable host and concentrate on making money. :) I've spent way, way too much time on trying to find the best hosting value. I spend hours trying to save pennies. It isn't a mistake I'll make again. PM me if you want a host recommendation.

myfrogger, Jul 4, 2007 IP
  6. William

William Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would avoid godaddy hosting. you can find much better hosting for the same price.

William, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  7. webdezzi

webdezzi Peon

Best Answers:
    i think its better you get a host that supports what u can use.

webdezzi, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  8. Agent_Dweeb

Agent_Dweeb Peon

Best Answers:
    Agent_Dweeb, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  9. unknownkind

unknownkind Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used hostmonster.com theyre pretty cheap, and reliable...

unknownkind, Jul 6, 2007 IP