1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Regular Expression Q.

Discussion in 'PHP' started by alphacooler, Jun 30, 2007.

I'm a n00b when it comes to regular expressions. I can do the basics, but need some help with this one.

Say I have a paragraph with the following sentence:

You need to replace the carburetor, transmission, spark plugs, both driver and passenger mirrors, and tailights. This should come out to around $800.
    Code (markup):
    I want to be able to pull out all the comma separated words/phrases and then re-order them and put them back into the paragraph..

So I would end up with something like:

You need to replace the both driver and passenger mirrors, transmission, spark plugs, and tailights, carburetor. This should come out to around $800.
    Code (markup):
    Any ideas?

alphacooler, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  2. amorph

amorph Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't need a regex for that. use str_replace where you can since it's faster. Edit the $symbols array to control what exactly you want out of your string.

$string = 'You need to replace the carburetor, transmission, spark plugs, both driver and passenger mirrors, and tailights. This should come out to around $800.';

function removeSymbols( $string ) 
    	{	
    		$symbols = array('/','\\','\'','"',',','.','<','>','?',';',':','[',']','{','}','|','=','+','-','_',')','(','*','&','^','%','$','#','@','!','~','`');
    		for ($i = 0; $i < sizeof($symbols); $i++)
    		{
    			$string = str_replace($symbols[$i],'',$string);
    		}			
    		return trim($string);
    	}

$string = removeSymbols( $string );

echo $string;
    PHP:

amorph, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  3. alphacooler

alphacooler Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the thing,

I'm not trying to replace certain words, but rather I want to look for comma separated lists (of *any* words/phrases...not specific ones) in order to automatically shuffle their order and put them back into the sentence.

This most definitely calls for a regular expression.

alphacooler, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  4. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this should work. it will find any word or number proceeded by a ,

/([a-z0-9]+(?=(?:\s{1,})?,(?:\s{1,})?))/i

PHP:
    now there's probably a few other ways and perhaps better ones as well but hopefully this will get you started.

ansi, Jun 30, 2007 IP