1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Language is the Best for Programming?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by camel101, Jun 30, 2007.

Hi. I have always wanted to start making basic programs with Visual Studio, I love the interface and I think that program would be just like dreamweaver when editing html or php. I am very fluent with html and php and intermediate with macromedia flash. The reason why is because it is WYSIWYG.

For the past week I have tried to start on this journey but I could not choose a language. There seems to be so much languages but I just want to use the easiest and most flexible one which I think is the .NET language. I just want you inputs before starting reading on programming, etc.

Any help, links, or guidance is highly appreciated,

Thanks

camel101, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  2. odin93

odin93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that delphi is the best. That is what i know and it is very easy with its visual elemnents. It is easy to use and program, very easy to make programs in, and there is alot of tutorials about it so just check it out, alot better then VB, another good one is C but i like delphi more.

odin93, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  3. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Your choice of language depends on what you want to accomplish and what you are comfortable and productive with. You are already expressing comfort with .NET and PHP. This makes you ambidexterous for the web.

If you want to code for Windows machines. .NET is a fine choice. Visual Studio's .NET framework lets you work in C, C++, C# and VB. That is already a rich selection.

clancey, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically there is little difference between the main languages other than syntax.

C# is personally what I would recommend esp if you are ok at PHP as it is commercially seen as more desirable - Java would be a good second choice but if you are needing to look at examples there will be a lot less of them.

We predominately use VB but then we come from an ASP background and so are much more comfortable with the lack of {} brackets etc

AstarothSolutions, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  5. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    .NET isn't a language, it's a framework.

You can use C#, VB, etc with .Net.

Languages are tools. You first need to decide what exactly you want to make (games, web-sites, applications) and then pick an appropriate language.

There's very little you can do with WYSIWYG if you actually want to learn programming.

KalvinB, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  6. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty much sums it up the WYSIWYG can do windows forms and things of that nature. Some other basic things but it cannot create actual logic for you. Tools like dreamweaver, visual studio and various others make it so you are not coding or scripting a user interface. You can more time on the actual guts of the program opposed to visaul aspects.

InFloW, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  7. ProgrammersTalk

ProgrammersTalk Peon

Best Answers:
    ASP.NET is very good programming languages as well as PHP :) either one are worth to learn haha.. I'm doing both :)

ProgrammersTalk, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  8. cpucandy

cpucandy Peon

Best Answers:
    For me it depends on where the application is going to be sitting:

Desktop app with visual interface - C# (.net)
    WebBased - Java
    app with no or limited interfact - java

cpucandy, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  9. Weizheng

Weizheng Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the "best" programming language would be natural language.

You just express your intention like this - "I want a Flickr clone website in 3 days" and you get your Flickr website with no fuss.

Of course also need a good programmer working for you :)

Weizheng, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  10. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Surprised of your route, I would certainly have expected this to be the other way round given it is much easier to get a app written in java to run on mac/ linux etc where as with web based you have control of the environment it will run in (ie the web server) and so propriety languages/ frameworks are not an issue

AstarothSolutions, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  11. Zeeshan.Quireshi

Zeeshan.Quireshi Peon

Best Answers:
    C# is best for Windows(and now linux too) GUI development .

you can easily start out with c# with tutorials from Microsoft Visual Studio Beginner Developer Learning Center.

msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/beginner/

Zeeshan.Quireshi, Jul 8, 2007 IP
  12. Da_Purr

Da_Purr Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what you're intentions are. Easiest out there is Visual Basic, there are lots of tut's for it. After that I would say go C++:D

Da_Purr, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  13. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Visual Basic is a dead language. If you want the ease of VB then go with C#.

KalvinB, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  14. krossat

krossat Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt say VB is a dead language.
    It is by far the easiest to use and now comes with inter-operability between C# and VB.

It now surely makes sense to work with VB and incorporate C# classes with it for further flexibility.

krossat, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  15. ProgrammersTalk

ProgrammersTalk Peon

Best Answers:
    you may be interested with Java :)

ProgrammersTalk, Jul 14, 2007 IP
  16. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not just use C# exclusively?

I don't think there's really a market for VB programmers except to support applications that were already written in VB.

Microsoft came up with C# to try to squish Java. Instead they killed VB.

I would highly recommend looking on Monster.com for jobs requiring various languages before deciding which one to try to master.

Ideally you should be able to learn any number of languages but some people get stuck in a rut. You want to make sure the rut you could get stuck in is profitable.

Personally I've made money writing programs in C++,Java,Perl,PHP,VBScript and possibly others I can't remember. I started with BASIC and almost got stuck in it. Good thing I didn't.

KalvinB, Jul 17, 2007 IP
  17. KowDot

KowDot Peon

Best Answers:
    This post amused me lol. Let's not start the VB, C# debate here please.

I've been a freelance developer for over 10 years now and the last couple with Visual Studio 2005, oh I'm a VB developer mainly although I do the odd bit of C# too. Whoever said VB is dead shouldn't be posting silly things like that here.

If the .NET route is your chosen path:
    I would say that if you had a VB/Basic background then you couldn't go wrong learning VB.NET. If however you have no past experience then I would recommend C# without a doubt. A good VB.NET developer can easily convert to C# but the other way around is not easy. Ultimately you use what you are comfortable with, that's the point!

PS The VB.NET market is absolutely thriving ;)

KowDot, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  18. jcyprich

jcyprich Peon

Best Answers:
    C# is a great first language to learn. Afterwards, you can learn C++ and PHP which are somewhat similar.

jcyprich, Jul 18, 2007 IP
  19. samusexu

samusexu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Beware, C++ is not for the weak-hearted :D

samusexu, Jul 19, 2007 IP
  20. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    There's little doubt there's a market for VB. I met a guy who worked for a major aerospace company that insisted that Excel was suitable for everything. There's no shortage of companies that used VB back in the day because it was the best for rapid application development and integration with Access/Excel etc. Those companies are still stuck with VB.

C# removed the need for VB. It does everything VB does better and faster. That's why I don't recommend VB if you're just getting started. You'll severely limit the types of programs you'll be able to make a living creating.

I would recommend learning C# for application programming and C++ for games. If you want to be any sort of decent programmer I'd recommend eventually working your way down to C so you learn how things actually work so you can make things more efficient. If you can code in C you can code in anything for any platform. The possibilities are endless for the type of job you'd want to do.

Assembly is overkill I think. C is not too far away from it anyway.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you figure out one language, you'll easily be able to pick up any other language.

Too many people say you should learn a language because it has a "C syntax" which is silly. Programming is all about concepts. If you get hung up on syntax then you're not going to be very good at programming.

If you want to create web-sites then I'd recommend starting with PHP and you should also learn Perl. Perl is much more powerful than PHP but more difficult to use.

What I highly recommend doing no matter what language you start out with is translating your programs between languages. It's the easiest way to learn a new language.

KalvinB, Jul 19, 2007 IP