1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

More proof of how lame DMOZ is

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fryman, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=388

fryman, Sep 9, 2005 IP
    heapseo likes this.
  2. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno, I went to that link the guy listed, and I didn't see anything that would qualify as "bad descriptions" or whatnot. Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but it didn't seem all that obvious to me.

toocoolforschool, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  3. INV

INV Peon

Best Answers:
    What I dont understand, from that DMOZ section how the hell in the world is this website there "http://www.erealty.com/"

eRealty.com - Full service online broker featuring detailed home searches, email alerts, professional real estate agents, discounts for sellers and cash back for buyers.

Its PURE spam affiliate redirect

INV, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    He he.... what about this one

Golden Feather Realty Services - Specializes in the management and disposition of single-family real estate from over twenty offices.

Takes you to a dead site

Seems that the editors can jump into my category and delete my site, but they can leave dead sites listed there forever...

fryman, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  5. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah - goldenfeather - what a typical example of editor corruption!!!!

Just check the history of the site at archive.org. You will see that the site used to contain very valuable data and was far from dead. The site was listed in the ODP in 2003 when it was a very viable site. It has since ceased trading and didn't (until today) get de-listed from the ODP.

eRealty - another typical case. Back in 2003, when it was listed, it contained good content. Looks like some very ethical web professional bought the domain to put his/her affiliate content on it.

oooooooh yes, that's editor corruption, alright!

(For the record, both sites just got delisted, because obviously no-one in the ODP editing team cares about that sort of stuff)

I just plain don't understand how finding a few dead links in a directory the size of DMOZ can prove how "lame" it is. Show me one decent sized-directory that doesn't have dead links in it!

All this stuff took me at most 5 minutes to verify using tools available to the public. Please, folks - check the flooring in the bandwagon before you leap on, ok?

Alucard, Sep 9, 2005 IP
  6. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    What you're looking at is a few categories in real estate where a savvy editor nefariously gave the sites in his/her category very poor titles and descriptions, knowing that they were being used by Google in the SERPs... He/She failed however, to get ALL of the sites and a few still have very compelling and useful anchor text/title/descrip... Look at a few of those categories and play the "spot the good listing" game. You'll see it; my understanding is that this is a more common tactic than any of us would like to believe.

randfish, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  7. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, randfish - I took a look around and couldn't see anything obvious - so tell us WHICH categories are you referring to?

Alucard, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to whoever gave me the anonymous red rep with the comment "STOP SPAMMING us with your bias DMOZ views" - I answer someone's questions and comments - that ain't spam by anyone's definition.

Alucard, Sep 11, 2005 IP
    noppid, ziandra and jlawrence like this.
  9. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Randfish - can you give us that information, please?

Alucard, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  10. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of our sites is still listed in dmoz with a wrong title, I had requested couple of times for a change but not luck yet :(
    If someone can help here, will be appreciated, DMOZ is a free directory and requires voluntary devotion, i appreciate this service, regardless of any negative comments made over it.

SaN-DeeP, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  11. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know which site you are talking about, so as a learning experience for everyone, would you like to give the title that it is now, and the title you think it should be?

Alucard, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  12. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing that TechAreana Forum http://www.techarena.in/ should be changed to TechArena Forums

I've put in a request for that.

macdesign, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  13. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    TechArena Forums has been fixed - allow a couple of days for the changes to show.

macdesign, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  14. samsam

samsam Peon

Best Answers:
    It's better to have it, as it is, rather then loosing it. Don;t request a change. My 2c.

samsam, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  15. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Big Thanks to Dmoz Editors, they have been very helpful and instantly helped me change the title of our url after posting in this thread.. :)
    I really appreciate there hard voluntary work.

Warm Regards,

SaN-DeeP, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  16. ozband

ozband Active Member

Best Answers:
    Gee, maybe you can change my title too....

I requested a title be "Australian Music Directory", but all i got was ozband.

Nobody searches for plane old ozband.......

http://dmoz.org/Regional/Oceania/Australia/Arts_and_Entertainment/Music/

With regards to the Dmoz is crap thing, there are plenty of peeps devoting valuable time to edit the cats.

With the amount of editors, there is bound to be a few that are corrupt, as there is always one in every crowd. But that is no fault of dmoz.

ozband, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  17. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ, what a wasteland.

Once upon a time, it had the potential to be pure gold, then human's entered the equation and created a blackhole.

marketjunction, Sep 24, 2005 IP
    Birdie likes this.
  18. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    Also they don't make new editors. I don't know what they are doing in there. Are they playing poker game. They don't work. They also don't allow others to work over there. It is too much corrupted.

I think DMOZ can have a makeover with all fresh editors.

How is the idea?

keral82, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a strange attitude for a job applicant to display:) .

jimnoble, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  20. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    check the editor guidelines. Ozband is certainly the title of the site ("Ozband is a community for Australian Music", taken from the index page). The editor may not be helping you with your SEO efforts with a keyword rich (wrong) title, but he's given you the correct title, and a good description. It's silly to ask for more.
    thinking how upset i was that my site wasnt getting added, i understand how tempting it is to villify DMOZ without actually knowing anything of what goes on in the background. It's upsetting, for sure. How many people here badmouthing DMOZ do you think are doing so from an objective standpoint?

re. the bad apples: there certainly are some. And yet, plenty of threads here and on RZ are by people complaining about their editor application not being sprinted through, or being rejected. So what's it to be? More trusting, or less?

bradley, Oct 10, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.