1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

differences between catholics/orthodox/protestants

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by alaska88, Jun 25, 2007.

1. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Didn't Paul even say he would rather not baptize someone than have them say they follow Paul?

People who pray to "saints" complete miss who the saint was telling people to talk to and worship.

Luther also didn't want the church named after him.

KalvinB, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  2. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dunno why, but I saw so many times in movies(perhaps the older ones) that priests can't have sex, etc. And I believe these movies were shot in catholic countries. There's one I saw in England, old comedy when it's like priest was with a girl on a public, and he was ashamed etc.

N_F_S, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  3. Bebicul

Bebicul Writer

Best Answers:
    Hey, I'm orthodox, you can ask me questions :)
    We are almost the same as catholics.
    The thing with Virgin Mary is not true.

Bebicul, Jun 29, 2007 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  4. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Catholic priests are not allowed to be married.

It comes from the idea that you should give your life to God or your family as Paul talks about.

The problem is simply that the Catholic church makes it a command/requirement rather than a suggestion. It's not God's law. It's man's law.

KalvinB, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  5. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually quite a few catholic priests outside of america are married. It is only the american catholic priests that arent. In my eyes very unrealistic and also the catholic church is complaining that they dont have enough priests??????????? Why do u think we have those pedophile priests?
    As a catholic myself, i would suggest that priests be given the option of getting married if they wish to. jesus came to show us moderation and love. If you know the whole bible literally and dont practice it with kindness and compassion its like u dont even know it at all.

pingpong123, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  6. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Bebicul what thing about the virgin mary? I agree orthodox is almost the same as catholic and were once the same religion. Like i said before its justa bout ok for a catholic and orthodox to marry.

Calvin, there has never been a catholic law that said u are supposed to worship saints.
    I am catholic and never have worshipped a saint in my life.
    the hail mary is a prayer asking mary to pray for us, cause if u read in the bible it clearly states that god places great weight on the prayers of teh saints and mary in heaven then he would for ours. So asking them to opray for us is a good idea:)

Debunked again, it isnt an idol worship if u put a statue of mary or a saint in ur house. It is only idol worship if u idolize that statue. These things are placed in our houses as a fond memory of what the saints looked like. Do you have a picture of your dad in your wallet? If so u should rip it apart cause that is idol worship. Also the picture of your wife and kids. cause this is how we view statues of saints in our houses and mary.

7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Put simply, the Catholic church believes it is the "one true church". That said, in essence, compared to the religions you mention, it IS. The others broke off.

I would say the primary difference is, one was first, the others did not like something or another for whatever reason, and broke off and formed another church/religion, at least based in part on the one true church.

Some subtle differences are things like, Communion, Confession, and other minute details.. In the end, a mass at any one of these churches, feels pretty much the same.

Mia, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  8. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Mia during the times that they broke off from the catholic church , the people in the church were doing some questionable things but that doesnt mean the essence of what the catholic faith believes in was wrong, but i agree with martin luther, u cant buy indulgences. lol

9. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Prayers "of" the saints not prayers "to" the saints.

All believers are saints.

There is one mediator between God and Man; Jesus. So you talk to him directly because you can.

By praying to saints you're basically adding layers between you and God which is unnecessary.

KalvinB, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  10. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    offtop: what the hell happened with the design of this forum ?

On this page, Mia's post #27 is out of order and long ?

N_F_S, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  11. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is the itunes song name thing that should be made to limit character length. I hate it when it happens and you have to side scroll....
    MIA change your tune!

debunked, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    it's a VBulletin bug... The text output for iTunes should be truncated or limited to a max number of characters..

Mia, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Oddly enough, I have not had iTunes open for two days now... Go figure..

Mia, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  14. grandad

grandad Peon

Best Answers:
    They mostly claim to follow the bible but in truth most do not, they follow the parts that they agree with and ignore the parts that they don't agree with, hence the differences.
    This was foretold in the bible:-
    2 Timothy 4:3-5

grandad, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  15. debunked

Best Answers:
    Yes, many man-made religions ad their myths and laws to what is written in the word or add-to or take away from it. All those things are designed to lead people from God and the true Savior.

debunked, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  16. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    Kalvin u sure are ignorant my friend. Whennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn did i say you should pray to the saints. Is there a mental block when the 3 light bulbs go off? Sorry kalvin if you truely believe we are all saints you are on some serious stuff and i wouldnt mind knowing what it is. It even states that the prayers of the most righteous carry the most weight with god. Sorry to say but we are not perfect in rightiousness as the saints in heaven who are living in perfection with god and jesus. When i ask a saint to pray for me this is why i ask. God our father loves us so much but also wants our participation to show that we are one family, the earthly family and the heavenly family.
    Now that i have made my point, go and do some reading before making blanket statements out of ignorance.

James 5:16; Proverbs 15:8, 29 - the prayers of the righteous (the saints) have powerful effects. This is why we ask for their prayers. How much more powerful are the saints’ prayers in heaven, in whom righteousness has been perfected.

1 Tim 2:5-6 - therefore, it is because Jesus Christ is the one mediator before God that we can be subordinate mediators. Jesus is the reason. The Catholic position thus gives Jesus the most glory. He does it all but loves us so much He desires our participation.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/saints.html#tradition-I

Rev. 5:8 - the prayers of the saints (on heaven and earth) are presented to God by the angels and saints in heaven. This shows that the saints intercede on our behalf before God, and it also demonstrates that our prayers on earth are united with their prayers in heaven. (The “24 elders” are said to refer to the people of God – perhaps the 12 tribes and 12 apostles - and the “four living creatures” are said to refer to the angels.)

Rev. 3:9 - Jesus said people would bow down before the faithful members of the church of Philadelphia. This bowing before the faithful is not worship, just as kissing a picture of a family member is not worship.

Jos. 5:14 - Joshua fell to the ground prostrate in veneration before an angel.

Sir. 44:1-2 - we should praise and give honor to those who the Lord apportioned great glory. It is our family in Christ

Matt. 26:53 – Jesus says He can call upon the assistance of twelve legions of angels. If Jesus said He could ask for the assistance of angel saints – and He obviously would not have been worshiping them in so doing – then so can we, who need their help infinitely more than Jesus, and without engaging in idolatry. And, in Matt. 22:30, Jesus says we will be “like angels in heaven.” This means human saints (like the angel saints) can be called upon to assist people on earth. God allows and encourages this interaction between his family members

17. pingpong123

Best Answers:
    So as you can see it takes more to know ur christian faith then just reading the bible at blank value and not truely understanding the bible fully so that it conforms to your beliefs and not what god or jesus told us
    God bless u kalvin and debunked:)
    Ill ask the saints in heaven to pray for u both. Oppssssssssssssssssss i made a sin because i committed idolotry , thats it im a goner lolololol

18. debunked

Best Answers:
    Huh? You sound like the jw's here, but on the opposite end. They say they have the corrected version and they know what is right by denying the Deity of Christ and you are still trying to convince me that the Bible with the help of the Holy Spirit could not be enough to understand it.

If you want to talk to a saint in heaven that is up to you. If you don't know what the word saint means then you might want to look up the definition because Kalvin is correct in stating that one saved by grace and set apart for God is a saint, even if you are still imperfect which only One can claim perfection while living on the earth.

That aside, I really don't want to make any of this an argument, because if you have accepted Jesus (the risen Son of God) as Lord and Savior then you and I are brothers and I should treat you that way. We may disagree in areas, but hopefully have the same important goals of leading people to Christ who died for all sins, who gives us grace as a gift, not by works, but through faith.

debunked, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  19. skibladner

skibladner Peon

Best Answers:
    The main difference is that the Protestants are "Fundamentalists" i.e they believe in the primary scriptural texts only. The catholics believe in the texts as well as the traditions that have been handed down for generations. Catholics are somewhat similar to the Orthodox Jews and Sunni Muslims in this matter, whereas the Protestants are similar to the Karaites and some laterday Muslims groups.

skibladner, Jun 30, 2007 IP
  20. grandad

grandad Peon

Best Answers:
    JW's happily use any bible, the truth is that the bible doesn't support the Deity of Christ (where you understand that to mean Jesus being Almighty God).
    Jesus believed and told others that he was the Son of God, (Yeshua or Jesus), and that Almighty God, (Yahweh or Jehovah), was his Father, whom he worshipped and prayed to as his God.
    The bible doesn't teach Jesus was God, Jesus didn't believe it, so JW's don't believe it either.

grandad, Jun 30, 2007 IP