1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropped or expired domain ?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by login, Jun 28, 2007.

Can a domain show for example registered:
    Created: 2005-03-03
    Expires: 2008-03-03

And still be dropped or expired 2007-03-03 ?

I got a domain like that where the former owner tells me it was expired without them getting a notice and now they want it back.

Greatful for good answers.

login, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  2. internext

internext Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes a name which expired on 2007-03-03, can show an expiry date of 2008-03-03. Be sure to compare the registrar's whois info to whois info directly at the registry

If the owner wants the name back, it could be as simple as paying the renewal if the domain is still in grace period. However once the domain goes into extended redemption grace period, there is a redemption fee to be paid to get the name back. This fee with enom, for example, is $160. It may sound like alot but if the name is valuable to the owner, it is a cheap lesson to keep their names renewed. Because $160 is nothing compared to what the new owner will ask for the domain once they capture it when it does eventually drop.

internext, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  3. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I own the domain now, its no grace period or else I would not be able to buy it.

login, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  4. internext

Best Answers:
    Ahhh sorry I misunderstood. It is not your problem that they didnt have a valid email set up with the registrar to receive notices such as domain expiration and renewal notices and invoices, which are surely send many times to the registrant of record in the course of a domain deletion.

The bottom line is that you legally obtained the domain. If they want it back, they will now have to compensate you for the domain for whatever value the domain has to you. You have no ethical issues asking for what the domain is worth to you. You are under no legal or moral obligation to hand the domain over. The problem is entirely theirs for letting the domain expire and subsequently drop.

The only problem you will have is if the name is trademarked and it can be proven (or reasonable alleged) that you only registered the domain in bad faith, in order to take advantage of the trademark which you have no rights to.

login likes this.
  5. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that info, very informative. And then the domain can still have been dropped or expired this march 2007 ? Even though the whois at the registrar says:
    Created: 2005-03-03
    Expires: 2008-03-03

You see, I bought this domain from somebody, I didnt register it myself so I dont know how the owner before me acquired it.
    There is no trademark on it, its for a non-profit organization, but I will try to find a solution that works for me and the organization. Its high PR, thats why I bought it.

login, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  6. cstamets

cstamets Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the domain was dropped, the created date should have changed to when it was registered the last time. At least, that's the case with every dropped domain I've ever bought.

Can you contact the person you bought the domain from to verify the circumstances around how he acquired it?

cstamets, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  7. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is what puzzles me, I am trying to get in touch with the seller too. He is well known here so I suppose he will answer soon.

login, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  8. internext

Best Answers:
    If the domain dropped you can kiss the PR goodbye soon. Thats one of the reasons google became a registrar.

And yes the registrar temporarily/artificially extends the registration in the whois during the grace period.

9. jasonsc

jasonsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your domain still shows date of original registration in whois (in 2005) this probably means that domain was bought on expired domain name auction at registrar directly. For example godaddy puts its expired names on tdnam .com before they are deleted and if anyone buys them they are simply transfered to their account, without being deleted from registry.

jasonsc, Jun 30, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  10. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the good explanation, that seems to be the case here.

login, Jun 30, 2007 IP