1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Insiders Guide To Creating Adsense Sites- Can you add your 2 "cents"?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jeeplaw, Oct 8, 2005.

Ok, so like many of you, I've realized that in order to generate revenue from adsense you can go about it in two ways-

1) Have a content (unique preferably) filled site that is visited because it offers something new (or better) and draws visitors everyday. These sites are usually built with the intention of adding lots of pages over the course of its development. People like to visit these sites because it has a reputation of being a good site and offers the information they are seeking. Adsense plays well on these sites due to the fact that the site sees a ton of traffic and eventually the ads get clicked. No brainer here. Most of these sites have had adsense tacked onto them and/or strategically placed among the content.

2) Build a site strictly for adsense. Maybe 1 page, maybe 5. Is it an authority site? Usually not. Is there enough content to avoid the "google stare" and ban of death? Sure. 5 pages (or articles) of unique content sounds good to me. Adsense is usually placed on this site to either integrate into the menuing (thus ensuring a click through) or posted on the side/top or bottom of the pages to give it prominence.

My question to you all is about #2. You've done your research, you've found the targeted area/subject on the net where there isn't alot of competition or pages built for SEO, and you think you can do well in this area. Take me from concept to creation...

You build your site, you knock out a few pages. Adsense is on, the content is generally vague enough, but offers SOME substantial content, to allow your visitors to click through the site. Do you now pay someone to list your sites in directories (Pay $20 for 100 directories)? Do you purchase PR links to get your site moving as fast as possible after the next update? Do you spend some time each week to trade links with people? As you can see, I'm assuming you've built the site utilizing ethical SEO tactics. It's the other elements I'm curious about.

Obviously I'm not asking about what sites you've been successful with :) But I would like to pick your brain about these sites where the advice has been "build, build, build".

Any input is welcome :cool:

jeeplaw, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  2. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I built a network of (mainly affiliate) sites. These I point a handful of PR 7 links into + directory links + recip + whatever else I can think of, they are all PR4, 5 or 6 now.
    I then started knocking out sites. These sites get linked to from the network of sites (which are all PR4+) in order to get them indexed. Add them to directories, add links in form recips (ie normal link building), point COOP at them, point LV links at them, ie do whatever you can to get IBL's into the sites.
    I have started to run my sites in groups so that there are no recips within my own sites, but I do have links on each site to other sites I own. I'm sure that if you followed the trail far enough you'd get back to the original site, but I've tried to design things so that there are at least 4 hops before you get back. I'm working on increasing that to 6 or more.
    The knocking out sites part is pretty new to me. It's not something I've tried before as such - I've always stuck with the affiliate + adsense route. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
    Oh, and I also have a couple of genuine unique content sites which are based around my hobbies (these tend to make very little) and are kept separate from the network sites.
    I'm also considering building a second network of sites - just in case the first gets hammered and looses all PR.
    You'll get many people telling you PR is pointless. However, having one or more high PR sites is very very handy for getting a new site indexed. I have a PR6 & PR5 which both get indexed daily. Guess what, if I link to new site A from the PR6 and to new site B from the PR5, site A always gets indexed before site B (often only a day or so difference).

jlawrence, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  3. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    My only concern about the second idea is if it would be one of those sites that eventually they loose all interest in. It might work though and I would be interested in seeing how this turns out.

TheNetCode, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  4. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    Either of those models would work, honestly.

How relevant your ads are to your content plays a part in what you earn per click. Ads that are *very* specific to your content have a higher payout than general ads on specific pages - or general ads on general pages. How do you get the most relevant ads to show on your page? Make sure your page is specific, and well optimized for the specific topic or subject.

"On the Page Optimization" is what you want to focus on here.

Adsense and Adwords go hand in hand. If the keywords you optimize your web page for are very competitive on Adwords... you will earn more per click. If your topic or keywords are NOT very competitive on Adwords, then you will earn a lower amount.

While it is not disclosed what the exact percentage is, your Adsense earnings are directly related to what the Advertiser is paying at Adwords for every click through. You are paid a certain percentage of that click fee when you generate clicks to the Advertisers site.

TIP: Use your Adwords account (or open one) to find out how much Advertisers are paying per click for any given keyword phrase.

That second method is a hot topic lately. In fact, people are building sites specifically for the purpose of earning Adsense revenue.

Here's the concept:

Find high paying keywords* and build a website around them, using Adsense as your source of revenue. Some people are even creating one-pagers (using reprinted material or free articles) that carry 3 Adsense modules on the one page... and then advertising these pages on Adwords (or other pay-per-click engines).

The goal is to bid on less competitive keywords in the same niche where you can get good placement for the minimum bid. You then advertise your optimized page, which will hopefully display the more competitive (expensive) ads. With this method, you stand to earn way more than you spend...

*High Paying Keywords - this is actually an inaccurate way to call it, though it's the popular phrase used in these discussions. What you are looking for is Competitive keywords. Meaning that the advertisers are paying higher bid prices for these words/phrases because it is a very competitive market. The more they are paying, the more you stand to earn

Personally, I am not into building "junk pages"... but anyone with a brain can certainly figure out some very useful ways to put this theory into action - - while still providing a great resource to their target market.

Along these same lines, I've been looking into Niche Blogs + Adsense (I just posted about that on my blog at: http://clicknewz.blogspot.com/2005/10/niche-blogs-make-money.html ). In addition, am testing Yahoo's contextual advertising option (similar to Adsense) on one of my affiliate sites. It turns out that most of the clicks result in a much higher payout - than they did when I was using "A" on those same pages...

Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005 IP
    Chopster likes this.
  5. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    My tiny contribution to this topic would be "Add an RSS feed". Even if your content is static, just add it anyway with the static content. This feed can be used to get indexed more quickly in MSN and Yahoo (no idea on Google).

I think it is perfectly ethical, you are simply syndicating that available content. RSS is not a promise of ongoing updates.

alext, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  6. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

You are absolutely correct about this. A site that I wrote articles for recently did this and went from pagerank 0 to a 5 by using an RSS feed. Good input.

TheNetCode, Oct 8, 2005 IP
    Chopster likes this.
  7. Malik04

Malik04 Guest

Best Answers:
    How do you get and RSS feed (I'm such a friggin' noob)

Malik04, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  8. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    Malik, easiest way is to build the site as a wordpress or movabletype blog. The RSS comes automatically, as it will with any blog on blogger.

lingeriediva, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  9. Gede

Gede Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah an RSS feed... (Real Simple Syndication)

been busy with those the last few days....

Thats how all those blogs, (and other sites as well) spread their content to suitable RSS readers and websites that can read XML.

I have created one for a property site, so people can we warned about the latest additions, and I have added one to a phpBB forum.

You can add RSS feeds to My Yahoo! and your Personalized Google Home page...

And unfortunately (?) those RSS feeds can be used to create a duplicate site in no time...

And spam and adds are more and more put into RSS feeds...

But its a really nice thing this RSS and I learn more everyday...

Gede, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  10. Malik04

Malik04 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have a blog that is on blogger.com, is there a menu from where to add RSS feed? Please help...because I have like no clicks per day (life sucks...my most i've made is .17 cents, since I started) :( :confused: so confused on how to make $$ with adsense.

http://reggaetondailynews.blogspot.com

that is my web page. Please tell me how to add rss feed. Thanx.
    <3 Malik

Malik04, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  11. Gede

Gede Peon

Best Answers:
    <off topic>
    Gee Diva, "expanded mammalia", I like that expression.... But it has more to do with weight loss, then the specifics of what you are showing :)
    </off topic>

Gede, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  12. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:

You already have an RSS feed. It is created by Blogger automatically. It is in atom format, and it lives here:

http://reggaetondailynews.blogspot.com/atom.xml

alext, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  13. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    You already have a feed with your blogger account. You can get some cool little "stickers" to add to your blog so that people can subscribe by going to www.feedburner.com (its free). If you arent sure what your feed URL is, look in your dashboard (click around - its in there).

Also, hit this list: http://www.masternewmedia.org/rss/top55/ and submit your feed url or blog url to every directory there is for blogs & rss feeds. Be sure to use keyword rich titles or subjects for the name of your blog - to help you with your search engine optimization.

Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  14. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    Key to it is traffic. The more you drive to your site the better potential chance you have to make money.

TheNetCode, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  15. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, so for those not blogging but instead relying on creating sites, when you're focusing on cranking out 2,3,4,5,etc sites a week, are you using an automated process or are you hand building each site? Because as of now, I'm hand populating each site with relevant data.

I believe if I can make sites with 5-10 articles (fresh content) focused on keywords not necessarily popular among the webmaster adsense crowd, then I can draw visitors and have them subtely led to click through both the content and ads on the site.

So far it's working with several :)

jeeplaw, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  16. Malik04

Malik04 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you all...making me feel right at home like that...:D

Malik04, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  17. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats alot of sites per week.
    Do you continue to build each one up in an ongoing process, or do you just add a few pages to begin with and leave it like that?

longroad, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  18. dinarpw

dinarpw Guest

Best Answers:
    dinarpw, Oct 9, 2005 IP
    iskandar likes this.
  19. jeeplaw

jeeplaw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So far my template has been to build one site..actually build it with useful information that encompasses 5-10 pages (articles and rss feeds). From there I move on to the next one, and do the same there. I've only recently started to cycle back on some of my older ones and am adding a page here and there.

jeeplaw, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  20. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're building a new site, these days you must plan to include some kind of a blog on the site. It doesn't have to be much of a blog, you can just use it for the "what's new" part of the site. But it make it incredibly easy to get your pages indexed.

Eric Giguere, Oct 10, 2005 IP
    iskandar likes this.