1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

They Ripped Off My Content But Gave Me Lots Of Links

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by cameronbailey, Jun 27, 2007.

I just came across a site that copied one of my articles word for word:

http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC074696/Skateboarding1.html

My stats show I've had 19 visits from that site (maybe the builder testing each link). It's also giving me a lot of link backs with targeted anchors. This all seems good. But then there's the duplicate content issue. Should I try to have this page removed, or should I let them leave it up?

cameronbailey, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  2. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had this happen from several blogs and a few sites. so far every time has happened the site has not lasted very long before it goes down again.

I think Google knows this is happening and putting the duplicate content filter on the offending site (or at least trying to). Likely if a site is all duplicate content,that is the site that gets the filter.

adacprogramming, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  3. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If they copy and pasted your article, why (or how) do the backlinks stay in there? Is it the html editor they are using? Or did they leave the links in there in hopes that you won't get angry?

If it's just one dupe, I think you'll be okay (?). Search the engines often to see where else your content may be laying (not just relying on ref links arriving at your site)

Karen May Jones, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  4. rzvagelsky

rzvagelsky Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try emailing them and asking them remove the article. If you published it first...it's very likely that any copies will be thrown into supplementals. If they don't respond to your email, send a DCMA Notice to their host and the content should be removed in a few days.

rzvagelsky, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  5. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The SEO Checklist link in my footer has been ripped off MANY times. The funny part is that it is sort of an entry page that links to pages all through my site for more information on a given subject. In all case the person ripping it of left all the links on the page, so I would get 10-15 links back to my site.

I had the same question as the original poster. Am I better off fighting this or just leaving it as it is and getting the links. As best I can tell, in my case it worked out better to not go after the person. It doesn't seem like it damaged me any, and I got a bunch of links (and a little traffic)

adacprogramming, Jun 27, 2007 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  6. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content issues is something you should not worry about.
    Google knows which site first published the content, right?

zexy, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  7. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I would say

But it all depends upon which site gets indexed first!

Freewebspace, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  8. seo-boy

seo-boy Peon

Best Answers:
    That kind of thing happens very very often to my sites. I am wondering if those links have any value. If they do, then, I am quite happy with them ripping off my content. :D Do you think they put nofollow in those, I hope not.

seo-boy, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  9. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would just send an email telling them to rephase it.

Dont try to something stupid as it would hurt your traffic.

Yet , he did not ask you if he could use your content, so its like a lose - lose situation.. ( kinda )

Dreads, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  10. okgaz

okgaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know, it sounds kinda like a lose-win situation, it's half bad and half good. I'd just leave it as it is, and let the web/googles ranking engine take its course. Somebody copied all of the game thumbnails, descriptions and links from one of my arcade sites once. Sure there was now duplicate game descriptions, but I had like 200 extra backlinks :confused: Anyway, I didn't do anything + I don't think it did me any harm.

okgaz, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  11. Spillthebeans

Spillthebeans Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want to not have duplicate content, maybe you could rewrite your article a little bit. Hopefully, he doesn't copy and paste the revised one too.

Spillthebeans, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  12. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Not true at all, it has nothing what so ever to do with who gets indexed first.

sweetfunny, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  13. courtneytuttle

courtneytuttle Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts (He works for Google) says that you're ok as long as the ripped off content has links to your original content - Google determines which site owns the content based on where the links point to. In this case they point to you, so you're good! I'd leave it up.

Sweetfunny is right, it doesn't really matter who gets indexed first. Google has other methods to determine who owns it including links and authority. Most of those spammish sites don't have any authority so they won't be counted as the owner of the article.

courtneytuttle, Jun 27, 2007 IP
  14. vex

vex Peon

Best Answers:
    Do those links count? I see nowadays a trend like that: people steal content but put a link back. Do those links add to the PR value or SERPs?

vex, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think it's better to leave it up because you will get tons of backlinks from that page:)

trichnosis, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  16. pratikgmr

pratikgmr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well if they are a regular stealers then you would get good backlinks as google would index them as they have lots of content but they will be placed after you in the SERPS so it is a win win situation..You get Baclink and Traffic and You dont loose your original Traffic.........

pratikgmr, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  17. SharonM

SharonM Peon

Best Answers:
    wow what a nerd...steeling someone content

SharonM, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  18. hqBuyer

hqBuyer Active Member

Best Answers:
    i wouldn't mind as long as a backlink resulted from this

hqBuyer, Jun 29, 2007 IP
  19. Halobitt

Halobitt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you decide to leave it up, you might want to contact the plagiarist and tell him the backside 50-50 link leads to a 404. Is this a mistake from the original page or did he change something?

Halobitt, Jul 1, 2007 IP
  20. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, as long as they're linking back to you, leave it as is. You shouldn't get penalised, and if they've only copied a few articles, when visitors are arriving at your site and finding even more stuff, hopefully they'll stay :)

etali, Jul 1, 2007 IP