1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recent lock out of all new editors, by an "inside observer"

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Defector, Jun 24, 2007.

After much soul-searching, reassignment of life priorities, and analysis of the facts, I have come to realize that the ODP is obsolete beyond repair and that the current group of metas does not have the werewithal to implement effective changes.

What prompted me to register at DigitalPoint is the recent lock out of all new editors, a measure believed would prevent leakage of information from the internal fora. All new editor accounts have been disabled in order to plug a leaky faucet. This tops the many signs of collective paranoia and insanity I have observed over the years. All the while, little actual harm was being done.

The editor compostannie was removed following months of internecine strife where neither compassion or humanity were on the menu, and where personal dislikes were thinly disguised as the good of the Directory. I can confirm that her involvement with DP and other fora viewed as hostile to the ODP was the main argument, with little credit given to her actual behavior, and her peerless efforts as goodwill ambassador. I can also confirm that editors are routinely removed when their opinions are counter to those of a handful of especially closed-minded metas, or for speaking about editor dismissals, even in jest. All the talk of corruption, and multiple listings belie the fact that the Directory has long lost its influence on the web. Why the paranoia that pits metas against editalls, and editalls against editors, when the stakes are so insignificant? It is deeply ironic.

In the internal fora, the situation is worse than reported at DP. There is scant activity, the overwhelming majority of the editing is done by metas, and even the metas are slowing down. I do believe the Directory is dead, and the few remaining meta hardliners will make sure it never lives again.

I suggest that when webmasters inquire about ODP submission status, the stock answer should be: "Submit and forget, the ODP might be history before an editor gets to your site."

I remain at the ODP as an observer, but I do not know for how long. I have already wasted much of my time on what, in hindsight, was a project with great potential, that was squandered by a tight clique of retrograde individuals.

Defector, Jun 24, 2007 IP
    dogbows, minstrel and helleborine like this.
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Does this means that now we finally have Deep Throat on this forum? Shall we start betting which former editors have their phones bugged and closed ice cream truck parked in front of their house for years? :D

Ah good old shot messenger of bad news and maybe it will go away tactic. :rolleyes:

I do hope there will be a book and a movie one day titled DMOZ wars with Kelsey Grammer as evil meta - he was great in The Pentagon Wars and we could also have Meryl Streep since after The Devil Wears Prada this would basically be the same role. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  3. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about???

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  4. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    (1) I guess DMOZ has decided to disable the logins of all the new editors, thinking that whoever leaked the posts from the internal forums had to have been a recent new recruit.

(2) Now they'll have to witchhunt the meta that leaked that information, and the information about the editor dismissals.

(3) I wonder who was removed for speaking about editor removals "even in jest."

helleborine, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Seemingly they don't have the power/access to make such a change...
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=362355&page=2
    ...though maybe they do.

And if they do, maybe they should worry more about why things are being quoted rather then who is quoting them. Or it may seem they have more to hide then just their policies.

Besides, nothing has been quoted from internal forums since I left, right? Maybe I was the missing link?

Oh maybe not, at least not if Meta stuff was quoted...but then, I have been talking to admin recently who have been nice enough to listen to my concerns.

Is there a way to check?

Qryztufre, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  6. helleborine

Best Answers:
    They DO have the power to make such a change. No? They have the power to dismiss whatever peon of their choosing, why not a whole fresh crop of them?

We do not know if Defector is a lowly editor or a grandiose meta. I think only a meta would be in a position to know about a blanket dismissal of all new editors. Every editor would know about his or her own dismissal. Only a meta would know that many editors have been removed for no other cause than to stop the reporting of the ODP's internal forums.

Same for the hints about the real reasons behind Annie's dismissal. Only a meta would know.

I think "Defector" has to be a meta.

helleborine, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there anything to corroborate this?

brizzie, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    This is complete and utter bollocks.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  9. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:

dogbows, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  10. helleborine

Best Answers:
    I do know of one editor that was accepted less than a month ago, that never logged in, and found himself locked out. Not someone associated with webmaster forums. Cannot login to his account, meaning, cannot edit, access forums, nothing.

I have no idea whether there has been a wholesale disabling of new editor logins. But certainly there are new editors that have been locked out, for no reason whatsoever. He never logged in, so it's nothing he's done.

helleborine, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  11. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure is was less than a month? New editors have to make at least one edit the first 30 days or they time out. After that they have 120 days before they time out.

Added: He should apply for reinstatement.

dogbows, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  12. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Not even close to a month. He's rather shocked and insulted, I wouldn't dare suggest that he apply for reinstatement. The category was non-commercial, and he had a totally selfless interest in it.

Why should he apply for reinstatement? Until the next witchhunt? To be twice a collateral damage casualty?

helleborine, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  13. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I should have said if he still wants to edit, he should apply for reinstatement. However, supposedly, there has been a technical problem with logging in for quite a few editors recently. It is possible that it could be strictly technical. Passwords are not being recognized and password reminders are not working. If that were the case, reinstatement would not be the route to go, anyway.

Goodness knows, I am not trying to encourage anyone to be an editor. I am just not convinced that new editors would be accepted and then immediately removed. It would be more logical and easier for them to shut down the application process. It is also possible that the technical problem is a ruse to keep outsiders and new editors from knowing the real reason they can't log in.

dogbows, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  14. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Was this a real editor or rather a manifestation of your multiple personality problem?

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 26, 2007 IP
    gboisseau likes this.
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why was Annie let go when they keep trolls like you? Seriously! I mean, you are assuming that sinse an ex-editor said it that it must be a duplicate account? Well, look around here neb...look at all the CURRENT editors that have been banned for multiple accounts.

Its an attitude like that that makes the ODP look bad. Show me where anyone in this thread has been rude to you? Now do I really have to point out all the places you've been an ass?

If you are so unhappy here log out! It's not like you are defending DMOZ, as thus far you've not said much of anything in support of it. Though you have time & time again, trolled the members of this forum.

And then you wonder why people have ill will against your precious rin...I mean directory.
    Q

Qryztufre, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said Qryz. SOME TROLLS never learn and that even hopelessly reported my POSTS as Harrasment and leading to the BAN of said members. ;) Try me. :D

SOME Claims to be a Senior Editor (META) for a long time with that attitude which is a wannabe.

Ahhhh :D

popotalk, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  17. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Aw, sweet stuff, I hate to disappoint your lovely self, but it wasn't me.

This being said, the poor guy could hardly be decribed as an "editor" since he never logged in to his account. When he finally got around to logging in, he was locked out.

Just an aside, I don't like the term "editor" - I much prefer "link farm stuffer." It's more descriptive of the actual activity performed and says more about what it's worth.

Editors edit books, newspaper articles, write editorials. Link farm stuffers approve website listings.

helleborine, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Defector, thanks for posting. I'd love to chat with you privately. My contact information is in my profile and I promise I won't ask you to breach any guidelines.

compostannie, Jun 26, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  19. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here. :D

gboisseau, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Neb once again exhibiting that certain je-ne-sais-quoi quality so valued in loyal DMOZ editors. :)

That of course is the point they continue to miss. They have no idea any more what they need to hide. They know only that what ever it is must be hidden.

Neb is an expert on complete and utter bollocks. That's why he is still a DMOZ editor.

Please don't ask Neb to do that, Q. His poor brain will explode.

minstrel, Jun 29, 2007 IP