1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

StumbleUpon does work!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by tarponkeith, Jun 25, 2007.

1. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    If the visitors stay for only 2 sec. that's just a waste of bandwidth :(
    Try to provide more valuable content.

zexy, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  2. Actor Mike

Actor Mike Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at SU as a longer term project. My RSS subscriptions have increased as a result of being Stumbled. Sure, the initial burst doesn't convert but longer term it does.

Actor Mike, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  3. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not advise paid stumbles on non-content pages. Create a nice article, funny picture or something for your site, and pay for the first 20 or so stumbles of that. There will be a few return visitors - and the chances are way higher that people will actually thumb the page up and you get more visitors in the long run. Direct sells just aren't going to work on stumble. Don't pay for that on there either. Not a good idea.

Stumblers are people looking to be informed and entertained. Give that to them and you will build your brand and awareness. Some will bookmark your page and you should take that as the return of investment.

kh7, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  4. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Guest

Best Answers:
    Stumbleupon is great for some quick traffic but usually doesn't last that long. Got a few clicks while it lasted on one of my sites :)

ChrisChris, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  5. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    What about stublexchange? Is it worth trying? I am still thinking whether I should use it or not.

shuttle, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  6. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like stumble, the traffic doesn't last, but it is a nice boost when you get stumbled, and I've had a few people sign up on my sites after coming from stumble.

etali, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  7. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen StumbleXchange around, and decided not to do it, for several reasons. One article from a blogger testing it suggested that only a few stumbles actually came from it, and the author speculated that there may be a filter that flags inflated stumbles and disregards them.
    The other possiblity is that SU, like digg, is cracking down on the exchanges by quietly penalizing these sites.
    I was doing pretty good until the exchanges here, now I get 25-50 a day and half of those are direct from my profile. I say organic stumbles are best, especially since pumping it will create really uneven stats that could be detected.
    But stumble my pages anyway if you want!:D

amanamission, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  8. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quietly penalizing sites? yikes... I've already been banned by digg for exchanges, darn, I'm like an internet bandit...

tarponkeith, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  9. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree, Stumble Upon encourages exchanging I even asked prior to starting a blog about Stumble Exchanges. That is the problem with Digg is that they are so uptight. I hardly ever used Digg except to help out some DP members and they banned my account.

allout, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  10. Audiomad

Audiomad Peon

Best Answers:
    I got 700 on my forum all from stumble its bringing in more traffic than google

Audiomad, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  11. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    same here, google is flakey...

12. xohaib

xohaib Peon

Best Answers:
    Stumbleupon works like magic for some and falls flat on the face for the others. It's mostly how targeted your landing page is, cuz no matter how much traffic you get, if it doesnt convert, its equal to none. So instead of just concentrating on getting the traffic, give same level of importance to conversion as well and you'll laugh all the way to the bank! ;)

xohaib, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  13. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i agree with xohaib :)

Search Engine traffic is still the best traffic to convert for adsense revenue. StumbleUpon is great if you are offering an exciting product, IMO :)

KC TAN, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  14. Meads

Meads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got 2 stumbles yesterday, checked my blog today and it has crashed along with the free blog host too hope it aint my fault

Meads, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  15. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    haha, stumbleupon killed your website... it is possible to have too much of a good thing i guess

16. royan

royan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was a bit curious to see how the stumbleupon system worked, so I signed up roughly a monthly ago.

I have a fairly new website, which I decided not to purchase any traffic package whatsoever, nor to place my website on any of the traffic network sites like trafficswarm for instance as these website are the ones that are against Google's TOS (I received a strongly worded reprimand from Google to remove my website from the TrafficSwarm network)

Just last week, I stumbled about 10 - 12 websites from the toolbar, and, then it hit me, over 1000 stumbles to my webpages in less than seven days!!

I believe the stumbleupon approach will work best between friends who cast votes for their one another, like members within a forum visit each other's website and give it a vote.

So I would suggest we get to know each other's website and stumble for each other's success

royan, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  17. pcz

pcz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good for you.
    I get about 10-20 visits the first days I submit a website and after that .....nothing. After that I get 10 visits/months :(

pcz, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  18. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    Totally, go to the "freebies" sub-forum, you'll see nothing but stumble-exchanges, it's great :)

19. Meads

Meads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How do i stumble someone else do i just go to their website and click the thumbs up icon on the SU toolbar?

Meads, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  20. tarponkeith

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the thumbs up / "I like it!"

then it will turn yellow or gold or something