1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is CMS bad for SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gavin, Jun 24, 2007.

Hi i am about to switch to CMS but i have been warned it is bad for SEO. How bad? WE do not change that much content but i want others to be able to contribute content. Tks

gavin, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  2. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends.

Most CMS' have dynamic URLS like:
    index.php?section=thing&page=45&something=something etc

This is bad for SEO. They also tend to have lots of other code issues like double body tags and predefined static meta data.

However, you can get SEO packages for these that help. Although sometimes these can be costly. Look around and plan in advance to make your best move.

I decided to program my own cms with SEO in mind from the beginning. It has great success, appearing in Google SERPs highly within 24 hours of submitting each new content item.

That however can be time consuming and difficult depending on your timescale and programming experience.

Noddegamra, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  3. Toe

Toe Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to find CMS that was built with SEO in mind, i.e. the one that allows to rewrite URLs easily, add your meta-tags, etc.

Toe, Jun 25, 2007 IP
    CRX likes this.
  4. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the individual CMS. If it allows URL rewriting, allows you to set individual page titles and meta tags etc then it'll be fine.

MattUK, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  5. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    As mentioned, it all depends on the CMS and how you set it up. Wordpress is probably one of the best SEO platforms you could use (with some slight modifications).

drig, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, and most of the popular ones have plugins to do this (Joomla, WP). WP is a bit more SEO friendly out the box, but I don't like the blog nature of it.. Joomla needs to wake up.

BigBadWolf, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  7. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla needs to speed up. It's a great system, but most of my sites that were using it have had to be migrated away as it gets so slow when the traffic reaches any significant volume.

MattUK, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I agree, Joomla was very cool a few years ago, but its not like its evolving or getting much better since then, its kind of stagnating.

BigBadWolf, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  9. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    When 1.5 will be out of the BETA i think it will be one of the best

maroon_cool, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  10. BlindCat

BlindCat Banned

Best Answers:
    It depends.......Even though CMS provides Search Engine friendly links and all..but for many sites (with less content) I guess simple HTML is better. You know why? Because google spiders doesn't see a page like we humans do...they don't read graphics...they only read the text.

With CMS (which doesnt use XML) there are lots of unnecessary tags etc which just doesn't make any sense (used for formatting). So it has been seen that Your content doesnt come first...but...those tags comes before your content. (Which can affect your ranking!)

I have seen a lot of people who had more success with SIMPLE html pages. But ofcourse it wont suit everyone. For Niche sites, i guess its better to use HTML /XHTML rather than a CMS. You will see that all your sites are indexed in google fast, and you will have better ranking in SERP.

BlindCat, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  11. DannyBly

DannyBly Peon

Best Answers:
    We just switched over to a CMS created by our programmer - we were careful to keep the original URL's the same, as well as title tags etc. and so far it's been a success - makes a large site much easier to manage :cool:

DannyBly, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    that changes according to the cms that you choose. You must check that you cms

* can provide you different meta tags on everypage
    * you will need sef url

trichnosis, Jun 25, 2007 IP
    Nick_Mayhem likes this.
  13. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Again it depends on the system that you use. HTML, just like CMS systems can be bloated with tables and excessive code. Many CMS now use CSS based templates that are much better then HTML pages that use tables.

MattUK, Jun 25, 2007 IP
    BlindCat and Nick_Mayhem like this.
  14. gavin

gavin Peon

Best Answers:
    tks to all of u cos, it seems, this SEO stuff seems to be be averaging advice plus trial and error.

gavin, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  15. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    uhm...i just went with drupal...MAIN reason is that its VERY seo friendly.

I can confirm...pleae visit http://www.1up-seo.com

Ok, i AM a seo firm...but for this drupal system i get highest SEO score..so it must be good.

GeorgR., Jun 25, 2007 IP
  16. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are plugins for wordpress so you customize and set it up, and use it any way you want.....static pages....ect....

oseymour, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  17. pj1s

pj1s Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd call it the easiest. I'd call Drupal the best - but it is way more complex/difficult.

pj1s, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  18. Zaiaku

Zaiaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your CMS page will proably be you highest rank page especially if it has SEO. I've seen tons of wordpress site will pretty high ranks. Its pretty simple but can definitely help with SEO as far as a CMS is concerned.

Zaiaku, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  19. kelsheikh

kelsheikh Peon

Best Answers:
    Just make sure your URLs are search engine friendly. There are components to add to CMSs like Joomla and Mambo that can change your URLs to what you want.

kelsheikh, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  20. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes some CMS have more then enough things that comes in the way. If you want to focus on something or want to remove that junk from the middle then it sometimes takes programming to do it. And in end you spend time on modifying it.

I have used some CMS and ready made scripts in past and would have to say that some of them really were bad. :(

Nick_Mayhem, Jun 30, 2007 IP