1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

christian chastity ring disallowed by school - is this fair?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by sukithesnake, Jun 22, 2007.

1. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Haha. No thanks. Like I said - agree to disagree! I know I won't change my mind.

DeniseJ, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  2. simplyg123

simplyg123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well its been a fun debate, i believe we both have good points

simplyg123, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  3. demosfen

demosfen Peon

Best Answers:
    Not having sex until 18 must be a real achievment these days. If these edjucation programs are such success, how come people didn't get pregnant at 16 and divorce by 30 before they came around? I waited until 24, married someone I like, and have had free sex with someone I like without risking STD ever since. I am saving lots of money on whorehouses and venerologists comparing to some of you educated people. I don't even always use condom and I still don't have STD.
    If you have to have sex at 18 risking your health and your future, that's fine with me, but I contend there are better ways to live your life...
    I remember reading a story about a woman who got STD the first time she had sex, and she could never have sex again in her life. Doesn't sound very smart to me. She certainly didn't have children, I hope at least she had an orgasm that one time.
    All sex edjucation does is destroying the idea of traditional family as far as I am concerned.

demosfen, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  4. TWalker

TWalker Peon

Best Answers:
    As I've stated before, when nature says your body is ready then its time to have sex. If the body is saying have sex but psycholigically/emotionally/financially people are not ready then somethings wrong with the society/culture.

Abstinence is BS IMO. People should be married and having monogomous sex with their spouse way younger than they are.

18 is too late!

TWalker, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  5. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and the uniform rules allow for religious exeptions, not for moral preferences that one could easily have with or without the ring. So long as the school is consistent in applying the rules, that's their right.

Now if they're inconsistent, that's another story.

I'm another one who would rather have her children have appropriate sex ed that gives the facts and doesn't just teach abstinence. As Denise has been saying, statistics show it doesn't work. The big difference, as I recall, is that kids who have only been taught abstinence are less likely to take precautions to protect themselves from STDs and/or pregnancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_education#United_States and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstinence-only_sex_education are quite interesting.

Yes, I am a mother. One daughter, one son. Still haven't changed my mind on the type of education I would rather they have. It makes far more sense to me that they have the knowledge to make good decisions and to know how to protect their health when the time comes, whether it's younger than I'm ready to think about or as an adult.

stephfoster, Jun 23, 2007 IP
    DeniseJ likes this.
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    yeah but your points don't make sense, people are wired to have sex its not the same as doing drugs, so your dare comparision is invalid

Ingesting drugs is never harmless or natural yet having sex responsibly is harmless and natural

They don't need sex ed to teach that, the body of every normal person knows that sex is fun naturally

ferret77, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  7. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Your post is nothing but a bunch of insults. You are rude, degrading and know nothing about my life. I did not risk my health and my future by having sex at 18. I made an educated decision because I knew it was the right time. I do not regret that decision.

You don't always use condoms and you don't have an STD. Yay for you. That doesn't sound very "educated" to me. Why bother using them at all if you're not going to be consistent?

You are free to have your opinion about sex education destroying "traditional family." And I'm free to disagree with you. But at least attempt to make sense when you make claims like that.

DeniseJ, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  8. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    What STD would that be? Most STDs are curable except for herpes and aids.

And what really is a traditional family? a harem? polygamy? a husband with mistress is pretty traditional, in fact common place in the old days

Also it wasn't that long ago when people had sex in the same room as their kids, dues to grinding poverty in Americas early days. When new immigrants came here they piled in whatever dwelling they could afford. You can bet that didn't stop them from having sex though

ferret77, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  9. sukithesnake

sukithesnake Peon

Best Answers:
    as adults it is great that we can have this rational debate but what we are losing sight of is the very real pressure children as young as 12 and 13 years old are under to have sex. they can no longer be children because a society that has become driven by sex as a means to 'sell' will not allow them this.
    in school i have seen young girls have their lives ripped apart by unwanted pregnancies. there is no choice anymore, and that is why we need to promote moves to re-establish that choice, so that children can choose abstinence over under-age sex and not feel outcast by their own peer group, and i am not saying that the wearing of a chastity ring will do that, but surely it should not be shunned by society but welcomed as an idea that could be explored.
    i know there are young people out there who chose to have under-age sex in a wholly responsible fashion and stand by their right to have done so, but there are many children less fortunate whose lives have been blighted by it.
    and yes nature prepares us for sex at an early age, but sadly it does not always give us the wisdom to deal effectively with such changes.
    sex ed. is not always the answer.
    giving children the choice is.

sukithesnake, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  10. demosfen

demosfen Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually there is a choice - just don't send your child to school...

demosfen, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  11. sukithesnake

sukithesnake Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmn don't think not sending kids to school is exactly feasible.
    but seriously we do not to address this, for even if you don't have kids yet you probably will in the future.
    and whichever way you look at it having the highest schoolgirl pregnancy rate in the whole of europe is not good. sure, give them sex ed., but we are dealing with kids here remember, and telling them that smoking kills won't stop them from smoking, just as teaching them safe sex won't stop them from having it without a condom. we need to find a way of teaching them that saying 'no' is cool, that no sex until you are ready is the way to go.
    but to do that we need the media on board.
    any suggestions

12. demosfen

demosfen Peon

Best Answers:
    Sex education in school gives them a subliminal message that having sex is ok... When I was growing up back in the USSR, we had no sex education and no one had sex or got pregnant in school

13. demosfen

demosfen Peon

Best Answers:
    My point was that it's who you have sex with that matters, not whether you use condom

14. sukithesnake

sukithesnake Peon

Best Answers:
    no sex ed. means less sex in schools.
    am mulling that one over.
    any opinons?

15. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    No. No sex education in schools means kids going out, having sex, and NOT knowing how to deal with the repercussions - or how to protect themselves.

I believe that teaching them to say that no is okay is a good idea. But you cannot accomplish that with abstinence-only programs.

DeniseJ, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  16. sukithesnake

sukithesnake Peon

Best Answers:
    you are probably right denise, but surely sex ed., should not only be aimed at safe sex, and a general understanding of what is involved, i mean why can't we - as adults - actually say to kids that having sex under-age is wrong (not bad), and actually against the law, rather than always pussy footing around the truth and trying to be their best friend all the time, when actually we are the responsible adults here and should be setting the boundaries.

17. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    I never made the claim that sex ed should be safe-sex practices only. If you review my posts, I am advocating a mix between safe sex and the facts about abstinence as well.

My previous post also touched on the fact that we should tell children that it won't make them "uncool" to say no to sex if they are not ready for it.

While I don't believe telling kids sex is "wrong" is the right approach, it is our responsibility to make sure they know it's perfectly fine to say no.

But if they do not want to say no, they NEED to know the facts. They have to know how to protect themselves.

DeniseJ, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you leave the lights on or off when you are having all these free sex? How about your clothes, do you take it off or not? :rolleyes:

gworld, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  19. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    That wasn't really necessary, Gworld. There's a respectful way to make your point without sounding like a jerk.

DeniseJ, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is it disrepectful? :confused:

With his attitude, I won't be surprised if the room has to be totally dark and with clothes on. I lived in Antwerp for awhile and you will be surprised how many people still have sex in that way. ;)

gworld, Jun 24, 2007 IP