1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Have you given up on links - same as me?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by skillipedia, Jun 22, 2007.

Gathering links is the most boring job I could possibly do. Even when I get few recip - sooner or later they will disappear.

Do you feel the same?

Cheers

skillipedia, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  2. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Good content = natural backlinks ;)

zexy, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  3. ajaykumarmeher

ajaykumarmeher Banned

Best Answers:
    I do agree with Zexy...but it is always not true...Thr should be some equal effort frm our side to build back links through many different techniques.

ajaykumarmeher, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Take an hour a week and check for back links. With spare time, go and find new ones. it's not all that hard, or time consuming if done correctly, especially if the topic is of interest to you. When you are off looking for information yourself jot down a pages contact info and drop them an email. A basic form email with SEVERAL blanks filled in can often sound personal enough, and can sometimes result in one way links.

I once wrote an article and listed my "sources" at the bottom. I then emailed all of those sources asking of it was OK to link to them (the trick is to sound like your mom, not a webmaster). They were real sources, and I felt obligated to link to them (It's just good form). The email was from the web master side of me, and it resulted in one blog post (raving that I was nice enough to ask, rather then just steal the info) and two relevant back links. All for doing what I'd be doing anyway + one email sent to 5 people.

Qryztufre, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  5. Phlegm Jar

Phlegm Jar Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's boring to you then perhaps you're approaching it in the wrong way. Personally I find link building interesting and challenging. For me, it's all about the 'treasure hunt' of trying to find new link leads, to the 'game of chess' in trying to get the other party to link to me, to seeing the rewards ($$$) that come from obtaining the link.

How many of us would die of boredom when faced with a task of, say, data entry where there was repeated clicking of a mouse button and limited keyboard keystrokes, yet be able to spend endless hours doing little more than that playing a video game? It's all about perception.

Change your mindset about linkbuilding and you might even find you have greater success. If you think it's boring and a waste of time then your link gathering results probably reflect your feelings. 3 years ago I felt the same way you did but I took it upon myself to approach things differently and learn how to link build more effectively. Today I'm very glad I put in that effort. I'm still lazy and don't do half the link building I should, but I get much greater returns for the work I do and that, in turn, means that link building will never be boring.

Good luck,

Phlegm...

Phlegm Jar, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  6. Zanswer

Zanswer Peon

Best Answers:
    It is relative easy to get certain types of links, like forum posts or blog comments, but very challenging to get high quality backlinks from relevant sites, especially for a new site. But once you reach a certain level, like PR4 or even PR5, life will be a little easier. You will probably have to delete many link request emails from PR0 sites then. But at that time you will want to get links from PR8 sites so it never ends :)

Zanswer, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  7. ez-online-money.com

ez-online-money.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The vast majority of my links come from article marketing. Since I do all the submission by hand it can get tedious I suppose, but PR3 sites and blogs do occasionally take my articles and put them on their front page :)

ez-online-money.com, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  8. Makubwa

Makubwa Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are right, link building and directory submitting are really boring....

Makubwa, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  9. skillipedia

skillipedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meant quality links form web sites with authority : Web dir and forums are useless as far as I am concerned. Google prefers deep links such as links to articles - not just shallow ones .
    Cheers

skillipedia, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  10. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oddly yes. I have gone a different route. I am now focusing on content and I link out to other sites more freely without even asking for a return link.
    I also get links in return for free.
    I am tired of dishonest webmasters who cloak my links, remove them even though I paid or remove links I exchanged. Its not worth it. I am mainly focusing on getting natural links now.
    I am having more fun writing and oddly my visitor numbers are going up. I guess people notice that I take more interest in the site itself.

andre75, Jun 23, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  11. stirfryguy

stirfryguy Peon

Best Answers:
    The hardest part about building backlinks is finding relevant links that will accept you. That is my problem. I can submit to directories all day long and write content, but relevant links is hard.

stirfryguy, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  12. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Most webmasters suck when it comes to links. Quality is the way to go.
    I also do the "Link love " thing and it works out.
    I do a directory or 2 every now and then, but I stopped looking for link exchanges.
    Most people want you to link to a PR site, and give you a link on a new site, which I think is just not right.
    I think some people have crappy sites just for this purpose.
    Although there is no bad link.

Since the updates are close, I ain't screwing around with linking to any more new sites, with 2 pages of content.

If you just concentrate on quality, people will start linking to you.
    I have picked up quite a few links from people and sites that I have never seen before, it's kinda cool.

hmansfield, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  13. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are a waste of your time and effort if you have a web hosting site and you have a links directory that accepts link exchanges from any niche sites like medical sites, entertainment sites, etc.

Just exchange links for your own niche. Personally I don't bother exchanging links anymore. I have told people that it's alright, but does take alot of time and some of the people say they will exchange with you and put your link on their site as longs as I do it first and then it never happens.

I don't bother with link exchanges. I just do advertising for traffic. If I see a site that has a good list of sites in my niche and they do not have mine and it gets some good traffic then I will include mine. But if it asks that I have to reciprocate to get my site listed in that list then I will. The reasons for this is because my competitors are listed there plus the traffic and the backlink is only added in for a bonus.

If you want to grow then you just have to aim for traffic I think and then the back links will follow if you have some good content and a site worth linking to.

john269, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  14. liamvictor

liamvictor Peon

Best Answers:
    My partner (wife) takes care of the link building usually. Emails from her are usually better written and more natural than from me.

I don't think I have ever added a link to a site that came in via an email, almost all are self serving, the key is to make a point to show something of relevance on your site with something on their site.

I had an email from this morning to my personal site addressed "Dear Sir/Madam", it came from a bot visiting the site and the return address was a free account. It'll be a cold day in hell before they'll get a link. Make it worth something to me, prove your site has a relevance.

liamvictor, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  15. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Although I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, its also a catch22. If you don't have links, you won't be found, so you don't get links.
    Once you have achieved a certain exposure, links will come all by themselves, but getting there becomes harder and harder with all the new rules.

Although I occasionally browse the link exchange forum, I usually find it a waste of time.
    Just today I found out that I was paying big bucks every month for a link that didn't even exist anymore.
    I have pretty much canceled all link subscriptions.
    Since Google is going to crack down on them anyways I see no point in this.

I have high hopes that the web is going to be what it used to. People linking freely to good resources without asking what they get in return.
    If I find a site nowadays that I think should be mentioned I just do so. I don't care if they link back or even if they take notice.
    And THAT is how linking should be.

andre75, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  16. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it's very boring but the most important think for your seo and getting visitors. you must never give up building backlinks

trichnosis, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  17. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another thing that I have said before to others in this or another forum, it is much easier to get 1 way links. Just write an article and publish it in an article some article directories and then others will pick it up and your article may even be on a page that will have a PR4 - PR5 one day. I know some of my articles are on other people's sites where the article is no PR4 - PR5.

When exchanging links, you have to put your link on their site which normally goes into their link exchange directory. Most sites that have this directory will have it one day and then it will be gone the next, as simple as that. With one way links, your link is likely to stay until the actual site closes down.

As said above I only do a link exchange if I will get traffic out of it and not because of the PR.

john269, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  18. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make it fun for example for directory submissions search(hunt) them (google-yahoo) instead of using a list.This way it is better I always wanted to be a fisherman and this way it gives the same pleasure.

zangief, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  19. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Better still, pay for someone to do the manual submissions for you. Searching for them maybe fun, but you will find that it will take your probably 5 - 10 times as long as what it would have taken from using an already compiled list of web directories.

john269, Jun 23, 2007 IP