1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PageRank is the Devil

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by aaron_nimocks, Oct 5, 2005.

Page rank is good for 2 items:

1. Helps you with link exchanges. The most common way to do base a link exchange on is by page rank. The higher the page rank of your site the better link exchanges you will get. Not saying that is the right way to do it because its not, but that is how it is done these days. (by most people)

2. Good for if you are making a site with the intention of selling text links.

THATS IT!

I believe Google Page Rank was designed and implemented by Google for 1 purpose. To reduce SEO! :)

Now many people believe in Page Rank because it is the easist way to judge a site and because they dont know how else to look at it. We all know here ways of increasing your page rank. But do most of the way actually benifit your site? No.

Who cares if you place your link on a PR9 site if you dont use the proper anchor text! All this will end up doing is passing PR but not help your site one bit. Every forum I go to there is tons of post on how to increase page rank, how is it calculated, when is it updated, ect.

They made tons of people focus on what is not important and forget about what is actually important. This is why Page Rank is the devil and Google has sucessfully reduced SEO.

I vote that the devil be banished and the toolbar destroyed! :)

Well thats just my thoughts while im sitting here bored at work. I would like to see who agrees and does not agree.

Aaron

aaron_nimocks, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  2. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Shhhh... don't tell anyone Aaron. We're making money off the people that believe all the pagerank stuff remember? ;)

Weirfire, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Seems the people who rant and rave against PR are those who don't have any. For me it is much easier to obtain page rank than high listing in SERPs for competitive terms. Page rank is one piece of the ranking puzzle.

I go back to days you did not expect to see your site indexed anywhere for a month or two so slowness of visible PR updates does not bother me. Indexing is much speedier today than in past.

As for me I want it all. Good PR and good SERPs. It is all part of playing the game.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  4. Traffic Crazy

Traffic Crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    haha... thats funny

Traffic Crazy, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  5. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Whats funny?

I would be really scared to come to a new forum this size and just post "thats funny" on a thread I hadn't read lol

Weirfire, Oct 5, 2005 IP
    blackbug likes this.
  6. Traffic Crazy

Traffic Crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    weirfire, i was refering to the post you made... "Shhhh... don't tell anyone Aaron. We're making money off the people that believe all the pagerank stuff remember?"

DavidAusman likes this.
  7. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    lol I thought you were laughing at Shannons comment. I'll tell you what I got told off for the other day and thats quoting the person that you are talking about. ;)

Weirfire, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  8. Traffic Crazy

Traffic Crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont care... if someone wants to take offense to that... BRING IT ON :eek:

9. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:

Best to quote the person so they know, but you are right that was pretty funny.

TheNetCode, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, pagerank is merely one measurement. Should pagerank ever go away, there would be a huge influx of tools created that help to value a page or site. Does anyone know of any tools like this? (ex. coop weight is one measurement)

dvduval, Oct 7, 2005 IP
    DavidAusman likes this.
  11. DavidAusman

DavidAusman Peon

Best Answers:
    Just my thought :D
    Different ppl had different point of view. pageRank might be important to some ppl and useless for others. Both of them has their own view, and none of them is wrong.

For example: PPl may treat it extremely important when doing link exchange, selling text link and selling developed website. But in other hand, pageRank could mean nothing. I had some friends who had PR7 while receive not more than 200 unique a day while the other got only PR3 and that small website got more than 2000 Unique a day. Thus, where is the importantness of PR in this case. It can't bring you traffics! As all of us know, the value of a website is traffics! Whatever type of content a webmaster may have, as long as their dont get traffics, their value is zero.

DavidAusman, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  12. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    But then that would not be a fair test to measure the relevance of pagerank because you do not know the different types of marketing that are going on for the 2 different sites plus the subjects of the sites might be different with respect to the users who might find those subjects interesting. The list goes on and on for making comparisons between 2 sites where the page rank is different.

Of course, more often than not a high PR site with no traffic is usually 1 that has not been optimised for its keywords or has no real content. You might be ranking well for the word iosdhgsd but no-one is going to go searching for that word.

Weirfire, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  13. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Page rank also shows credibility. Anyone can build a website selling services. If I check their pr and it is 0, I'am not likely to use their services. But if it is a pr 4 or 5 or higher, it tells me their site has been around a while and they've work to build a ranking, and therefore their credibility.

tesla, Oct 8, 2005 IP
    DavidAusman likes this.
  14. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Thats a good point tesla :)

Weirfire, Oct 8, 2005 IP
    DavidAusman likes this.
  15. Delvin

Delvin Peon

Best Answers:
    Now aaron ! Understand all the magic og pr so shhh.. and i am also agree with tesla.

Delvin, Oct 8, 2005 IP
    DavidAusman likes this.
  16. DavidAusman

DavidAusman Peon

Best Answers:
    PR dont really shows credibility. It can also be fake one. I beleive when you visit a website that offer services, you wont go to check it whether it is a real PR or a fake PR. What you do is take a look at the meter bar in that google toolbar.

You can easily optain PR by redirecting your url to any high PR website for several months. When google do update, there it goes, PR7 on the toolbar. Does it means the webmaster had been doing hard to provides good services? Take a look at http://www.foobar.com/
    Their use to have PR6. And do you know what content they have? It is a parking domain! Nothing except PPC!

One more reason why some ppl dont really put PR in mind is that it can easily be obtained by doing link exchange. Whatever content you may have, either good or bad, as long as you do well in link campaign, you will get high PR.

DavidAusman, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  17. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen many quality sites go without pagerank. They receive huge amounts of traffic, but still have no pagerank. While on the other hand I have seen many that receive very little traffic, but have a high pagerank. Seems almost a shame doesn't it.

TheNetCode, Oct 8, 2005 IP