1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

mySQL Windows

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by JamieC, Sep 29, 2005.

I'd appreciate any advice people may have on the best route to mySQL backups. I'm a complete novice with mySQL, having previously used SQL Server, so treat me nicely :)

Our current setup is two colocated machines, one DB and one webserver. Ideally i'd back up the DB to the webserver or to a local machine in our office, but i've got no idea how to go about it. Are there any particular utilities people use?

Any advice appreciated (it's been running a couple of weeks and still no backup strategy, i'm getting twitchy!),

Jamie

JamieC, Sep 29, 2005 IP
  2. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm why in the world would anyone go from SQL Server to mySQL? With the new stuff in SQL Server 2005 it blows mySQL away for sure.

I know though some apps like (cough) Vbulletin only accept mySQL so I can understand. Anyways I use Navicat from http://www.navicat.com/. I love it. Works like a charm everytime without frustration. I always get frustrated with the mySQL default tools as there not point and click.

SEO Jeff, Sep 30, 2005 IP
  3. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    One obvious reason is price.

With regards to backups you can use the free utility mySQL Administrator, or alternatively set up a CRON job to backup the database and then email it to say a gmail account for remote storage. I've not got a script to hand to do this but if you do a search I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable.

dct, Sep 30, 2005 IP
  4. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right Pricing is expensive but MS's version is a ton more richer as well. Although if you already have a license why would you want to switch is what I was asking before. Oracle is another expensive database program although I have only used MS SQL and MySQL but I hear it's pretty good.

SEO Jeff, Sep 30, 2005 IP
  5. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments.

There are a number of reasons for my switch to mySQL. I agree that SQL Server is more feature rich, however as dct says the price is prohibitive. That wouldn't bother me, however, if it had something that I needed. In my previous job we did some quite intensive database work which I doubt mySQL could have handled (a lot of pretty complex stored procedures). In my current job, the database is only being used for website metrics and content delivery - mySQL is ideal for this purpose as it was always designed to be a web database. As it's free, and a relatively lightweight install I made the decision to use the windows version of mySQL instead.

As for backing up, I tried out navicat and agree that it's a nice piece of kit. I've been using the command line up to now so it was a refreshing change!

I also discovered a simillar application called SQLyog which is seems to do pretty much the same thing. Finally, mySQL have actually got round to creating a UI for their product in the form of mySQL Administrator which also has backup facilities.

JamieC, Sep 30, 2005 IP
  6. carlf

carlf Peon

Best Answers:
    ... one way of doing this is to use mysqldump, in the format:-

mysqldump databasename -u user -p password > output.sql

... this will create a text file with all the SQL commands needed to recreate the database. In the event of a failure, you can either run output.sql as a job in MySQLYog, or use mysqladmin < output.sql

.. create a batch file with the mysqldump and schedule it to run daily. You can then FTP this to the other server.

You could also use the replication feature in MySQLYog.

hope this helps

bests

Carl

carlf, Oct 5, 2005 IP
  7. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for everyone's help.

- Jamie

JamieC, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  8. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well this thread reminded me I need to backup all my forums so thanks :)

GeorgeB., Oct 15, 2005 IP