1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From a seo perspective which is better

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by xxsAm, Jun 20, 2007.

For meta keywords which example would be better? I'm using a band name as an example.

Example #1
    <meta name="Keywords" content="Norma Jean Myspace Layout,Norma Jean Myspace Code, Norma Jean Myspace Graphic">

Example #2
    <meta name="Keywords" content="Norma Jean,Myspace Layout,Myspace Code,Myspace Graphic">

xxsAm, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  2. liamvictor

liamvictor Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta Keywords works in conjunction with other elements on the page so it's hard to say how terms would perform, but the first is more specific and therefore more likely to produce results.

Don't worry too much about meta keywords, but do, like the meta description tag, make sure that it is unique for each page.

liamvictor, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  3. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    You should do some keyword research and see if any combinations get good traffic and have little competition.

rcj662, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  4. scuba5794

scuba5794 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have found better luck at being able to attract more relevant traffic with more descriptive keywords, the more descriptive the keyword the more relevant the visitor is what i always say. hope this helps

scuba5794, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  5. rdv817

rdv817 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend example #2 personally. Remember that it is generally suggested that whatever keyword phrases you use in your meta keywords, you should also include those keyword phrases somewhere in the text of your page.

rdv817, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  6. xxsAm

xxsAm Active Member

Best Answers:
    xxsAm, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  7. seoperson

seoperson Peon

Best Answers:
    why don't you mix it up as 4 word keword phrase, 2 word keyword phrase ?
    It will be fine and do not worry to much about meta keywords. Instead concentrate more on title and content.

seoperson, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  8. xxsAm

xxsAm Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what you mean, could you please clarify with examples

~Sam

xxsAm, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  9. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience, google uses the name of your page and description much more than the keywords.

A good page should look like this:
    www.domain.com/Norma-Jean-My-Space-Layout-codes-and-graphics
    (give or take some keywords here)
    You can produce this with any Content managment system like Joomla or Drupal.

Your description should be something like:
    Here you will find My Space Layout, codes and graphics with Norma Jean. Download your codes for free here.

Like liamvictor mentions, make sure each name of page, description and keywords are unique for each page. If you run out of ideas for many pages, just rotate your keywords and add some variations.

hope this helps

Norma Jean Myspace Layout,Norma Jean Myspace Code, Norma Jean Myspace Graphic

Winagain, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  10. xxsAm

xxsAm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very helpful. So below should be the page title then?
    Norma Jean Myspace Layout,Norma Jean Myspace Code, Norma Jean Myspace Graphic
    Code (markup):
    Changing each pages keywords/description/title/url wont be a problem at all. I'm just trying to figure out whats best.

xxsAm, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  11. seoperson

seoperson Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean like this:

<meta name="Keywords" content="Norma Jean Myspace Layout,Norma Jean Myspace Code, Norma Jean Myspace Graphic, Norma Jean,Myspace Layout,Myspace Code,Myspace Graphic">

Ofcourse, google ignores keyword tag but other search engines see the meta keywords.
    in this way you are targetting 2 word as well as 4 word keyword phrases.

Thanks !

seoperson, Jun 21, 2007 IP
    xxsAm likes this.
  12. liamvictor

liamvictor Peon

Best Answers:
    No, because the page title is used by most search engines to display the link, then a snippet of the page (or the meta description), then the page URL.

As well as keywords for the search engines to index, consider how you want it to appear in the SERPs and try to optimise for click through.

It's remarkable how a (slightly) lower position can get more traffic if the title has a call to action.
    "Free Norma Jean Myspace Layouts with simple code instructions".
    "Install your Free Norma Jean Myspace Layout"
    Those titles are just off the top of my head, as generally you want the most important keywords to the left, and there are only 65 characters to play with in Google.

You can think of the search engine results as an advert for each page, does your result make you want to click through and see the page?

SEO/SEM has few clear cut rules, and what works one day can easily change, furthermore what works for one site doesn't for another. There are so many variables. That's what makes it interesting and fun, don't sweat it too much and do try to optimise in a way to make the best experience for your visitors.

liamvictor, Jun 21, 2007 IP
    xxsAm likes this.
  13. xxsAm

xxsAm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Everyones help in this thread is greatly appreciated.

xxsAm, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  14. submitmaster

submitmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    liamvictor is correct, from your title tag to your keywords are all based on the content of your site, dontforget ;)

submitmaster, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if i were you, i prefer the second option and i think using similar word to your page title is also important

trichnosis, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  16. nasskobar

nasskobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to clarify with you Liam, can we use the words like "Free" "New" "Best" etc. (which urges people to buy/ grabs their attention)? Also, can we use the conjunctions like "with" in the title? Don't you think that it "wastes" words?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,

Madhu

nasskobar, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  17. liamvictor

liamvictor Peon

Best Answers:
    Short answer -
    I don't think it's a waste if it makes the "advert" more clickable.

Long answer -
    There is always going to be a compromise between the best SEO techniques and the best to actually draw the visitors. The only way to see what works for your site is to try a few examples and see what happens.

With different sites, and therefore different keywords, KW densities, KW placement etc, you will get different results. In fact, even if those things were pretty similar, the in-bound links will affect your KWs in the search engines eyes. (A link with KW anchor text from a strong domain is worth it's weight in gold!).

Consider your actions when presented with a result, do you always click #1, or do you sometimes click another; if so why? What grabbed your attention? Are you going to click
    "Nomra Jean Mysapce Layout, keyword, keyword variation, alternative keyword"...
    or
    "Norma Jean Myspace layout - Free theme download and code installation instructions"

Most SEOs will agree that the title is the most important for your keywords, but that is the also key "headline" for you SERP "advert". Don't forget you also have the H1 tag, (and all the other headings on the page), the body text and the filename itself as places to get your keywords in.

The meta description will be used by some search engines as your page description, again use that for keywords (which will be highlighted in the results) and as the advert body text for the page itself.

The meta keywords give a tiny help and help focus the search engines as to the page relevance.

Don't forget alt tags on images, title tags on images and links. All of these are great places to get yet more keywords in. Beware - don't go too crazy, having a page keyword stuffed is going to flag it as spammy.

What's I'm saying is you have many opportunities for the keywords, so don't get hung up on keyword stuffing the title.

A good experiment is too look at the paid listings, pick a keyword for a new page on your site, look at the way the ads work in the search engines listings. Rewrite those as titles and meta descriptions for your page. Repeat a few times and see how that affects traffic and conversion rate.

liamvictor, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  18. nasskobar

nasskobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Liam ...that was informative

nasskobar, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  19. vk_lisbon

vk_lisbon Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend example #1.

vk_lisbon, Jun 28, 2007 IP
  20. djrishi

djrishi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    meta keywords are just indicative. I dont think now a days SEs pay attention.

djrishi, Jun 28, 2007 IP