1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do Small Businesses not care about their websites?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by smartsites, Jun 20, 2007.

Hi,

In my area I can go to a directory of small businesses and go through 100 websites and 90% of them have issues. The most common issues are search engine, graphics, navigation and out of date content.

These are very important issues but you call them up and they don't want to hear from you. Why does a business continue to pay a monthly fee and have a crappy website?

How do you get these guys to listen? I was thinking of doing free site reviews but if they won't talk to you and you can't email because of spam then what are your options?

I'm very frustrated at this situation. Please give me your advice as to how I can get these businesses to realize the importance of these issues.

I can go to any of these businesses retail establishment and it looks perfect, their ads are perfect but their website is horrible. What gives???

smartsites, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is possible that they do not know much about the web or rely on it for their business. Some just have a website put up by their children or themselves for the sake of having a website or just for the email function.

Small businesses generally maybe run by individuals who may have limited budget for such things.

There are businesses which do well without the website anyways especially if they target the local community who are walk-ins. Here in Singapore, that is what happened. There were two huge businesses which had websites with online stores but after about a year of operating the websites, they decided to take them down due to the lack of interests. People here are slow in doing online orders and would rather drive down to the stores to make their purchases. Even Dell here does more business from Newspaper ads than online.

There is nothing much you can do there because in the end the decision to revamp their website relies on the owner themselves. Being small businesses in your town, they probably would not need to rely on the web or country-wide recognition. As long as they are doing roaring business, I am sure they are happy as they are.

Since it is your local area, perhaps you can visit their store and talk to them about your services and to do a review. But be sensitive to their feelings because some may be proud of their work.

But I think the better choice may be to create a separate site such as a town portal site, typically a directory site where the business can have a listing and an info page on your site so you have control over content.

eddy2099, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  3. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    I do SEO / SEM for small businesses and used to do design for small businesses in the late 90's and early 00's.

Small businesses usually 1) do not like change 2) have tight budgets so they cant test to mediums 3) dont have the resources to test 4) just dont know about it (very common).

drig, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  4. Jim Guinn

Jim Guinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Ignorance of the power of the web in business is usually not understood by these business people. They have built their businesses without the web and don't see/understand the value, but they "throw up' a website because they have heard it is "good for business".

Jim

Jim Guinn, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  5. timiepn

timiepn Peon

Best Answers:
    Well in essence if a business does not sell from the internet the website is like a business card online. So it may not be that important in the scheme of things.

The site then acts as a contact tool from customer to the company. Often it is not important for a business to have a super good website.

I admit it helps if it looks excellent though I don't think people looking or a “plumber” get upset at a site that looks basic.

timiepn, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  6. luckyNumber

luckyNumber Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, what everyone else has been saying.

Small businesses often don't have much money, they haven't seen any increase in customers/profit with basic websites and can't see how spending more money can make any difference.

luckyNumber, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  7. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you could write an article for your local paper talking about the importance of having a web presence for small businesses. Throw in some expert quotes and success stories for good measure.

It would function as a "pull" marketing strategy to build demand and get clients coming to you.

MTbiker, Jun 21, 2007 IP
    Jim Guinn likes this.
  8. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    A good way to get there attention is do a bit of research about there company what they are selling/providing find keywords in that area that people are searching. Have a designer put together just a psd template of the site, have it printed out write a convincing letter to them..not mentioning price just mentioning how it will increase revenue and so on and see how they respond. To tell you the truth I believe they will be more than happy to get a quality website if you show them something better than what they have!

LegendaryPosting, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  9. lilylidou

lilylidou Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they have not enough money or person to care about their websites.

lilylidou, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  10. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know. It is best not to mentioned about increasing revenue because if you cannot guarantee it, it would not be any use and would just be deemed as some sales talk.

I believe that a number of shopowners would have heard all the promises of increased revenue and all that but most do not actually happened and the owners just pay for deadwood which they do not need. If there is no increased revenue from the website, this would mean bad will for you and it could cost you money, time and reputation. Do not make promises which you cannot keep.

If the business is small, they may have limited resources and just supporting the town would be already more than enough for them. Besides if they are not selling sellable outside of the town or that their prices are not competitive or the postage services is not that effective, it may not be any point selling out of the town.

eddy2099, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  11. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You know, the sadder question is:

Why don't .edu websites care about their website?

I see too many school websites in my area that are so basic, they look like they were created in the 1990's. No joke.

zac439, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  12. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the schools do not attract students from out of state or offers online courses could actually do without websites. If it is just local schools then they know that people would rather just find out about the schools physically then to search the world wide web for them.

13. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://atc.org/

They offer out of state schooling. Check out the horrible webpage. This school is about 25 minutes away from me. Yuck. I may offer to redo it for them for free.

zac439, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess if all the information are available, fast loading and not too difficult to navigate, it is good enough for some. I am not particular with design as I am more concern about the information.

Simple is good as it would lead to less problems.

15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    The bottom line is, people just have no idea, what the web is capable of doing for them, how to do it, or what the rest of the world is doing around them.
    They think it's just stuff on T.V. and some toy that computer owners play with.

They really are in the dark.
    I have beat my head against the wall trying to educated people of what kind of opportunity is out there, and that they are slowly sentencing their business to the dark ages, and by the time they figure it out, it will be too late to catch up.
    they don't understand it, so they think that you are selling "snake oil".

Believe me, some of them will call you down the road, make sure they all have your number readily available.
    I have people call me every now and then from 1, 2 and 3 years ago.

hmansfield, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  16. nshadab

nshadab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    small business owner:
    1) dont have proper knowledge about internet power, how they can gain good business
    2) dont have good amount to invest, as they think this is not a proper use of money.
    3) happy with outdated content

but still you can move to these people as they are local to you, and try to make them understand what is INTERNET is all about and how they can get some good business with the help of INTERNET.

nshadab, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  17. richierich1m

richierich1m Peon

Best Answers:
    Small Business owner do not care about their web site because they are small business owner(low profits) and they are small business owner because they dont care about their web site. hope you got the point here hehe

richierich1m, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  18. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's probably because they have found it to be a much harder task than what they first thought it would be and are finding it rather hard to get things done in time.

john269, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  19. LilyUK

LilyUK Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Smartsites
    I share your frustration. I turn to the web for everything I need to know - from research for my writing, web design tips and marketing (obviously!), health issues and yes - trying to find a plumber or builder online. To be honest if a local trader/shop has a rubbish website it discourages me from using them. I completely understand that it can be expensive to get a good website up and running but that said I do think there are enough free ways and enough information to produce something that's reasonable.
    I moan a lot when I find half the shops in my city don't have websites, that restuarant websites don't include their opening times (or sometimes even a menu!) and that businesses that look great in bricks and morter fall down when it comes to the web.
    I mostly associate with musicians and artistic types and I always ask them if they have a website and I'm surprised by the amount that say no!

Personally I think the internet it an amazing way of building a business and an incredible tool to just 'get the word out there'.

Some of the worst are local government sites which should really step up to the challenge and let people see what can be done - mostly they're a bunch of staid looking broken links that have the worst search functions I have ever seen!

Ok - moan over...

I'm just a net girl who wants everyone else to see the potential and possibility of cyber space and remember that websites are about people not computers!

LilyUK, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  20. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Is it possible that we are all truly early , as it relates to the average citizen of the world?
    I personally think I waited too late , but apparently, the world is asleep, and only like 1% of the people know anything about anything, that isn't on the news, while so many are cleaning up on the web.

hmansfield, Jun 22, 2007 IP