1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS that is similar to drupal

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by adrian88, Jun 18, 2007.

Hello,

What is the best CMS that is similar to drupal? Or is drupal the best?

Thanks!

adrian88, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  2. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think joomls is the nearest cms to drupal. i dont believe the drupal is the best

trichnosis, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  3. digitalpower

digitalpower Banned

Best Answers:
    which cms is the best, then?

digitalpower, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  4. LegendaryPosting

LegendaryPosting Peon

Best Answers:
    it matters on what your site is going to be doing and what you like visualization wise.

LegendaryPosting, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  5. JOGS_DEV

JOGS_DEV Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is the best! Much easier to learn, and customize for your particular project/design.

JOGS_DEV, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  6. pfek

pfek Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using Typo3 since 2 years and I think it's the best CMS you can find, there's a really big community of developpers, there are thousands of extensions like forums, blogs, advanced news system and the learning curve isn't too hard. I recommend!

pfek, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  7. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it depends on how you define "the best" ..
    I think that Drupal is the best CMS you can find. There is a really big community of developers, there are thousands of modules and it has an easy learning-curve.

Tearabite, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  8. mediatech

mediatech Peon

Best Answers:
    No CMS is the best... including TYPO3. I just find TYPO3 the most powerful and a good investment if you need scalability and something for both small and larger projects.

I can also cite more corporate end users so if that's your market I recommend both TYPO3 and Drupal. For smaller sites that require less flexibility and complexity e107 and Joomla are great... and more appropriate at the moment where the learning curve is concerned. If all you need is blogging and basics then try Wordpress.

The trade off with TYPO3 and other CMSs in this league is they tend to be more resource hungry unless you do some performance tuning.
    http://news.typo3.org/news/article/testing-and-tuning-typo3-performance/

TYPO3 5.0 aims to resolve most of the issues preventing people from adopting TYPO3. It aims to be both more powerful and easier... we'll see.
    http://www.5-0.dev.typo3.org

If you're wondering what's more powerful than TYPO3 than have a look at Alfresco, which makes TYPO3 look like e107... for the moment ;)
    http://www.alfresco.com/

Another good one if you're running Windows servers and want a .NET solution is umbraco.
    http://www.umbraco.org

mediatech, Jun 19, 2007 IP
    adrian88 likes this.
  9. vinodis

vinodis Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress won the Wed-2007 Awards.

vinodis, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  10. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    You can't compare Wordpress with a true CMS, can you. Apart from building quick blogs, it doesn't do much.

Clive, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I looked at several of the CMS products out there. I used criteria such as ease of use, flexibility, reliability, backward compatibility (a big one for me), spam control, performance, and SEO. For me, Wordpress was the best by far. I also like ExpressionEngine, for no other reason than the very professional nature of the company. They are very grounded and understand that they have a user base that has to be supported over the long term. MovableType strikes me as a similar type of organization.

Rich

richrf, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  12. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Civicspace is built on Drupal. Not sure why you would want to use it though.
    Drupal's Search Engine Friendly URLS that can be applied to its forums as well (forums are an integral feature) far outperform any rivaling product (at least in the freeware market).
    my forum urls look like this: mysite.com/forum/category/subcategory/forum-post-title.html
    No dupes or anything.
    The only other way I know to do this is with VBulletin and VBSEO but that's not free.

andre75, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    adrian88 likes this.
  13. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is one of the reasons i like Drupal - it is SO SEO friendly you can almost pick the keywords you want to rank for (if you know what you're doing) - for an example of how well it works (or not) see the "SEO challenge" post in my blog where i wrote about taking on an 'expert' and try to outrank him for keywords that he is trying to get a good ranking on... and yeah, so far i'm winning.. :rolleyes:

Tearabite, Jun 20, 2007 IP
    adrian88 likes this.
  14. getanapple

getanapple Peon

Best Answers:
    drupal SEO friendly URL's are just the best thing. Also taxonomy once you understand it is very powerful.

We will always get the debate going between CMS users and every script should have some advantages. Figure out were you want to be and find the script that will do those things.

getanapple, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  15. zonzon

zonzon Peon

Best Answers:
    it's like cars, it's like computers, it's like servers, it's like everything else: it depends on your needs....

just compare: http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

zonzon, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can you explain to me one or two things that Drupal can do and Wordpress cannot do? Thanks.

Rich

richrf, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  17. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    -Forum integration with Clean URL's (clean urls are pretty much standard, but not on forums)
    -Taxonomy

andre75, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  18. mediatech

mediatech Peon

Best Answers:
    I found forums to be a hard one to crack. Both Drupal and TYPO3 generate clean forum URL's. Can I see a Drupal forum URL please? I'm in the process of adopting Drupal for a client.

mediatech, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  19. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    PM me for an example, but its not really necessary.
    Basically looks like this:
    site.com/forums/category/subcategory/title-of-post.html
    and is configurable
    you can also leave things like cat/subcat or forum out or add a deeper virtual path. whatever you like.

andre75, Jun 22, 2007 IP
  20. mediatech

mediatech Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that answers my question. Drupal has better looking forum URLs than TYPO3 for keywords which is critical.

TYPO3 released a new forum so maybe I'll get lucky. What Forum does Drupal support? Is it native or 3rd party like vBulletin?

mediatech, Jun 22, 2007 IP