1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Zenome.com - A New General Directory

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by zenome, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello:

I recently became involved with a new Internet start-up called Zenome (www.zenome.com). I'm their new Product Manager.

The idea behind Zenome is to build a more robust, highly functional, human-indexed Web directory. A couple of ways that Zenome is different than existing directories:

* The intent is to pay both Category editors and page indexers a percentage of the advertising revenue generated by the directory. The commissions would be relatively small, but it is our way of trying to say "thank you" to the community.

* Zenome gathers much more meta-data about each page indexed than traditional directories - and over time we intend to use this meta-data to vastly enrich the user experience of Zenome over time.

* Zenome is meant to grow "organically" - with the directory structure set, in the most part, by indexers and editors. Everyday contributors will have a much greater impact on all aspects of their respective Zenome communities.

* Zenome's self-organizing tools should ensure that users receive the most relevant search results. The self-organizing algorithms should also ensure that Zenome's results improve as the directory grows.

* The knowledge encapsulated in the pages listed in Zenome categories will be leveraged to create *new* knowledge - it won't just be static.

I am hoping that Zenome will eventually do for Web directories what Google did for search engines - re-energize the field and make it an integral part of navigating the Web.

Why am I telling you all this?

1. Because Zenome needs more editors (and indexers). I wanted to give you the opportunity to be a part of something new and exciting.

2. In case you are looking for places to index your own site, please consider doing so at Zenome.

3. Because I'd love to hear your feedback on the Zenome site. Like I said above, I've just started working on this site and I'm hoping to help turn it into something great!

Thanks everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions, and please drop me an email at darren@zenome.com or a note here if you do decide to sign up as a Category editor.

Darren (dredfern)
    Product Manager
    Zenome

P.S. I'm currently the editor for:

top/ Entertainment/ Games/ Card Games
    top/ Homes + Garden/ Pets + Animals
    top/ Sports + Recreation/ Bowling
    top/ Sciences/ Mathematics
    top/ Regional/ North America/ Canada

in case you want to see how I've approached the task.

zenome, Oct 3, 2005 IP
    zoom likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Is Zenome planning to make it's database available in xml/rdf/... format?

That's going to the be the key to really taking off!

I just signed up and have added 4 sites. That's taken me as long as it normally takes me to do 10+

In another significant directory you are able to copy and paste the category path so that submissions to a single category are quick and simple. It would drive me made having to step through every time I found a good site that I thought should be indexed.

You also ask for alot of information. I don't mind doing keywords for sites I own/manage but that would annoy me significantly having to do them for other sites. An editor should be adding sites, and not just reviewing submissions, in my opinion.

Good luck with the it. You guys have put alot of effort in so far!

sarahk, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  3. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    submitted on classifieds. thanks!

bentong, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  4. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good directory, although it takes too long to suggest a site.
    Maybe asking for less information or not having to step through various pages would be better (for submitters). ;)

muchacho, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    zoom likes this.
  5. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    This directory is really nice, keep up the good work.
    I dont think the submit sequence was annoying or anything like that.

Marcus_Westberg, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    zoom likes this.
  6. aramyus

aramyus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I entered a site successfully, however, your submission process is quite complex.

In particular, I selected (wrongly I guess) 'If the primary content of the page falls into any of the categories below, please select it - then academic/business, and I was asked very complex questions. Better add a step and warn the submitter with something like ' You have selected 'academic' You will be asked for details of your academic publications. Continue ?

Hope the site is accepted
    Thanks

aramyus, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    zoom likes this.
  7. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Entered 1 site. The tab order wasnt correct or something. Everytime I hit tab it went to back to the State. Kind of annoying.

aaron_nimocks, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    zoom likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I added DigitalPoint but wouldn't it be courteous to add the sites you use to promote Zenome before you post?

sarahk, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  9. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really like the look of your directory. Good job!

Now.... is it me or does the title use a redirect???

larysmith711, Oct 4, 2005 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Good catch! I didn't look under the covers for once. Have you seen how much javascript and style info is on the page?! Wouldn't matter if it was a redirect or not, the bots would never wade that deep anyway!
    <a href="http://www.zenome.com/searcher/urlClickCounter.php?URL_id=59768" >Simple SEO Blog</a></font>
    		  <br>
    		  <span class=summary><font size="1">
    		      Dig into this blog about search engine optimisation and website development.	      </font></span>
    	      	      <br><span class=subject> <a class=url  onMouseover=" window.status='http://sarahk.pcpropertymanager.com/blog/'; return true;"  href="http://www.zenome.com/searcher/urlClickCounter.php?URL_id=59768" >http://sarahk.pcpropertymanager.com/blog/</a></span>
    Code (markup):
    they need to read my blog:

sarahk, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  11. tanoanian

tanoanian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I've submitted my ragdoll cat site to the pet category you edit.

Thanks!

Ragdoll Cats

tanoanian, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  12. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    My first post, although up till now received a lot of usefull tips from DP while trying to get my site listed in various directories, besides that it still needs to be improved.
    Added to Zenome.

Regards and good luck!
    Mat;)

vulcano, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Vulcano, welcome to DP.

sarahk, Oct 4, 2005 IP
  14. zenome

zenome Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow - everyone. Thanks for the great feedback.

I'll try to address your issues one at a time in this reply.....

Comment - Zenome asks for too much information
    Reply - I realize that we are asking for much more data on each indexed page than other directories, but there are reasons for that. All this meta-data we are collecting is eventually going to be used to provide enhanced functionality to Zenome users - the ability to slice the data different ways, the ability to set personal preferences on how *you* want Zenome to look, the ability for Zenome to intelligently go out and suggest new material for inclusion/consideration based on profiles of what is already in a category, etc., etc.

Comment - The Zenome indexing process is too long/cumbersome.
    Reply - While we do want to collect more meta-data, we also want to make the indexing process as easy as humanly possible. We're working on ways of improving the process. Stay tuned!

Comment - Users should be warned if making a choice in the indexing process will spawn additional questions (like picking "academic" category).
    Reply: I agree with you on this one - I'll try to make a suggestion for an unobtrusive way of implementing this idea.

Comment - Zenome uses redirects (and shouldn't).
    Reply - I've read sarahk's blog and will pass it along. I also think that redirects are not the optimal way to go. Thanks!

Comment - I should have indexed DP.
    Reply - OK - my bad! To be perfectly honest, I've been so busy with higher-level functionality since I joined Zenome, that I still haven't gotten into the habit of indexing sites outside of my alotted categories. Consider my wrist slapped.

Please keep any and all comments coming. I REALLY appreciate your feedback - believe me when I say it will all be taken into serious consideration.

Darren

zenome, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Darren, thanks for keeping the communication lines open. The DP community is significant and I'm glad that you appreciate our input.

good luck!

sarahk, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  16. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Got my 2 sites index on pets--had a problem with the country section.. my site is for united states and canada. Maybe you can fixed it to where you can chose more than one country. I'm sure latter on i will be adding international states to my pet sites. Lora

FOX LORE, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  17. zenome

zenome Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, that added ability has crossed my mind as well. I'm sure we'll add it eventually, but probably not in the short term.

Thanks for the feedback!

Darren

zenome, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  18. RamZ

RamZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that the process for submission is long however i like the formal and thorough approach as well. Nice directory. I submitted my web design site.

RamZ, Oct 6, 2005 IP
  19. markkk

markkk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be better if link is direct and isnt redirect..

markkk, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  20. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    Thanks, submitted my site.

Though the submission process is long but the approach Zenome is taking is unique. Hopefully, your directory would become popular in the coming days.

onedollar, Oct 7, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.