1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A link from an unrelated pr7

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sonofsam, Jun 16, 2007.

are they all equal in googles eyes?

is a link from an unrelated pr7 site the same from every site? (assuming they all have the same amount of outgoing links)

sonofsam, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  2. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From what i understand a related link is far better in googles eyes than a unrelated link.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 16, 2007 IP
    Etherfast likes this.
  3. Etherfast

Etherfast Peon

Best Answers:
    If it would be the same thing, it wouldn't count if it would be related or unrelated ;)
    It's not the same thing. Backinks from the same area of interest counts more than an unrelated one. A one-way related link to your website is the best you can have ;)

Etherfast, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  4. coolguy27

coolguy27 Banned

Best Answers:
    Of course not.... Not same in the eyes of Google...

Links to quality sites is good while linking to unrelated site is bad to the site...

coolguy27, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  5. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think it will help to your toolbar page rank but it will not help your serp

trichnosis, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  6. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    Links from unrelated sites won't harm your site but better if you can have links from related sites.

Janna122003, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  7. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But for sure I would not refuse the link :) , but related and ranking on similar keywords will be better but everything is not perfect.

zangief, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  8. cool_urs

cool_urs Active Member

Best Answers:
    No link is bad for website.. Still related link is best in terms of google. Yet if you are getting pr-7 link dont miss it...
    Regards
    Sharetipsinfo

cool_urs, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  9. SEO Honolulu

SEO Honolulu Guest

Best Answers:
    I really wouldn't sweat pagerank that much. Ideally, you want a link that carries a decent amount of your anchor text keywords on that page already. That will overcome the unrelated issue.

SEO Honolulu, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  10. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It won't harm you, it will also probably increase your pagerank but as far as helping you in your serps is concerned....I don't know

oseymour, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  11. anubus

anubus Peon

Best Answers:
    The link can come from an unrelated site that has a page that is related to your site, and your link is on that page. This is ok.

The link that is just on an unrelated site with nothing that relates to you is ok, but it won't be weighted the same, but I would take it.

Cheers

anubus, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  12. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am mildly skeptical about Google's ability to determine accurately just what a "related" site is. They talk about all their "engineers" working on the algorithms. But my experience over the years is that engineers, as skilled as they may be in technical things, would be far down my list of candidates to determine "relevance" of a site.

Realistically, relevance is something full of language nuances and subtleties. A person would have to sit down and browse a website thoroughly to determine the real nature of that website. Then they would have to invest the same time and energy into a thorough perusal of website #2 to see if the two were related in some "relevant" way.

To attempt to determine relevance by an algorithm is to say basically, "We don't have a clue from time-consuming hands-on inspection of each site, but we've thrown some formulas together to figure it out." Fat chance it will work! :rolleyes:

Would their algorithm read Shakespeare and the original King James bible and (incorrectly) relate them as "relevant" and related because of the similar Elizabethan-era language? Probably, but the relevance would be minimal at best.

Sorry for the rant, but this old Arts-and-Sciences major has serious doubts that formulas and algorithms can come even close to determining relevance. But then again, maybe Google's engineers are smarter than I realize. :D

Jim4767, Jun 16, 2007 IP