1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What exactly is a bump?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by rochow, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Ok, this is not some "omg I got infractions, the sky is falling bitch thread"

I would like someone, or multiple people to define exactly what a bump is/is not, as it's pretty vague at the moment.

For example, I got an infraction for this post:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=3407766#post3407766

Ok fair enough, I posted half an hour after he did, resulting in a bit of a bump.

This one:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=3448906#post3448906

Again, I guess it could be considered a bump. I used to do this ages ago (like last year) with no problem, it's only the last couple of days I've been struck for it. I find it helpful because it gives everyone an overview of where the threads at, and saves the hassle when people bid the same as someone else because they are too lazy to read the whole thread (it happens, just not in mine :))

But this one...
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=365348

There is no way I consider this to be a bump (my post was deleted). I posted "oh you're bad :p" maximum 5 minutes after he posted a starting bid at $6. How many places would that have "bumped" it up? Like 4, 5? That is not a bump as far as I'm concerned, because it was already up the top. I was not trying to move my dead, no-ones interested thread from ages back to the top.

IMO: Bumping is a post in order to move your thread from the bottom or a couple of pages back, to the front.

I have been gone for a while and the mods seem to have different stance than before. So what is the current definition of a bump? Can we update the rules or something for old timers like me who still are acting the same as last year?

rochow, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  2. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did they put both "running up posts" and bumps in the same category maybe ? That third one should be "running up posts".

login, Jun 14, 2007 IP
    rochow likes this.
  3. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Running up posts? Yes, because 1 post makes a real difference to my post count :p

I was just trying to have a bit of fun! The whole BST section is sooo serious.

rochow, Jun 14, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Alright then! :rolleyes:

Crazy_Rob, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  5. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that a definition should be adopted about what is a bump.

A bump serves different purpose, mainly in the For sale trade. Here are a few example of usefull bump :

Bump at interval of no less then 24 hrs to replace a thread on front page. This mainly serves the forums because it does not clutter a specific forums, with repititve thread by same user. ( Some forums only allow one or two active thread)

A response bump is admitted, if original poster is informing is buyer of the status of their purchase, or informing public of recent updates about items for sale.

An example of rule could be :

Third party bump should not be allowed. Because it serves mainly to run post count, and can become a clutter.

The OMG nobody responded to me after 10 mins bump should be sanctionned.

I hope this post will be consider as constructive and some others can input their ideas.

Camay123, Jun 14, 2007 IP
    rochow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.