1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Googlebot?

Discussion in 'Google' started by digitalpoint, Sep 15, 2004.

1. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Boy ... I feel left out ... Googlebot has come by www.komar.org 2,006 times so far this week ... but not sign of the new Bot yet. I have very little Javascript (besides Adsense), but I doubt that makes much difference.

The compression is a classic computer tradeoff - more CPU for less bandwidth - as Shawn points out, which is "cheaper" for you. I looked at this a long time ago, but may need to reconsider it - it is a good thing that the spiders are accepting of it.

BTW, if you are running the Live HTTP Headers extension to Firefox you can see the browser/server negotiation and what is being run. Interestingly enough, while it looks like forums.digitalpoint.com is providing gzip'ed encoding, it does not appear that www.digitalpoint.com does (?)

hulkster, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I only do the PHP based stuff on www.digitalpoint.com (keyword tracker, keyword suggestion tool for example) because those are the high-traffic (and large) files.

digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2004 IP
  3. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read (more like skimmed) several articles on the pros and cons of using Gzip compression. Mostly technical trade-off stuff, but they are all over a year old -- and as you know one day in the computer world can make it obsolete.

I think it will be pretty much mainstream to use it now. Server cpu speed has greatly increased, along with memory allocations. If you are on a good server, turn it on.

The biggest advantage I see in using Gzip compression is not only your bandwidth, but the bandwidth of all the inline servers that your data is passing thru. Not to mention the end-users who may still be on dial-up (regardless of their cpu/memory usage).

Dodger, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  4. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    Macromedia developed a Search Engine SDK a few years back.

Google's built their own version (reported on searchenginewatch Feb 2003) that seems to have improved on it.

gooner, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  5. quadcity

quadcity Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello SEbasic.
    An excellent overview of mod_gzip is at:
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/compress/

quadcity, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info QuadCity ;)

SEbasic, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    SE - I know you are an avid CSS fiend. I thought of that and this thread when I came across this article on Gzipping your CSS. I am wondering why you would want to just compress CSS and nothing else, but it is still an interesting read.

Dodger, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that Ron...

Your right though - I'm not really sure why you would want to do that to a CSS file...

Using it saves me a lot of bandwidth anyway ;)

I have been looking into this whole compression thing quite a lot recently (And been considering giving it a go as well, since the bandwidth for my blog suddenly jumped quite dramatically over the past couple of weeks)...

I think that it is one of those things that I will give a go, I'm just not sure where or when yet...

Have to say, I'm not keen on renaming my stylesheet to .php though...

Interesting read nonetheless - bookmarked, and no doubt will be used in the future too :)

Thanks for the link.

SEbasic, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  9. eitemiller

eitemiller Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya think maybe we haven't seen an updated PR (display on toolbar) because G is/was working on the new bot? Maybe PR will go back to a monthly update? Just a thought...

eitemiller, Sep 27, 2004 IP