1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Affiliate Sign-up Spam???

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by stephenmunday, Sep 29, 2005.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on this because I have no idea why people would waste their time doing what I am about to tell you:

I started my affialiate program a few weeks ago. Since then I have had a number of people (maybe 8 to 10) try to sign up, but they would enter either false email addresses or claim that their site was www.google.com or the like!

Why would they waste their time filling in my form? What is the point? Blog spam I can just about understand ("advertising" + more IBLs), but I cannot see any reason why anyone would want to waste their time like this...

Does anyone have any idea what the motivation of these people could be?

stephenmunday, Sep 29, 2005 IP
    maro likes this.
  2. AntiSPY

AntiSPY Peon

Best Answers:
    may be they wanted to get something from your "affiliate" zone?
    Like scripts, content( texts & pictures) and so on?

AntiSPY, Oct 1, 2005 IP
  3. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No this is how affiliate fraud works. I know because I'm a victim of a big Affiliate Fraud, Identity Theft Ring overseas.

They sign up - pretending to be someone else, like me! (they have signed up for over 50 programs that I know of using my identity and ALL my personal info.) Many networks and program managers approved affs without carefully checking the apps. Then they start making money fraudulently and right before commission checks go out they change the payment name and address from my address to their US PO box who then forwards it to them overseas.

The guys joining your program may not be good at it or just trying to see what they can get away with. The ring I'm in the middle of is BIG and pretty sophisticated. I'm working with the FBI and several MAJOR affiliate networks to try to get these guys busted.

THis has been eating my time up this week and I am SICK of merchants thinking I am the one that joined their program and am the one committing fraud. These guys have stolen my identity, are ruining my rep and ripping off merchants and I am PISSED.

Back to my detective work and hopefully a big bust!
    Thanks for letting me vent!

5starAffiliates, Oct 1, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  4. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, Linda! I'm sorry to hear these guys are messing up your life so much. I hope they get caught and pay the price.

My program is small and I try to have personal contact with my affiliates, so I can weed out these guys pretty easily.

stephenmunday, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  5. pistol101

pistol101 Peon

Best Answers:
    You may find that guys signing up with www.google.com are looking to promote you via Google adwords and don't have their own site.

You will always get on the way to 90% of affiliates never doing anything.

Affiliate programmes always take 3-6 months to get going.

pistol101, Oct 3, 2005 IP