1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Translating web into multiple languages

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Smyrl, Sep 29, 2005.

Question for those of you with sites in multiple languages

Is there worry regarding duplicate content penalty?

Thanks for your input.

Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 29, 2005 IP
  2. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the languages are one of these :

http://www.google.com/translate_t

You should worry a bit. Google knows sinonims, anthonims, relevant niche keywords. He can translate, interpret and give sense to a phrase, as well as compare that phrase (quantity, meaning, relevance, density) with another phrase.

If the language is not of the ones found in the above form, i would say go for it :)

Anyway, IMO, 85% you could post duplicate content, but in different languages, without any problem.

Cristian Mezei, Sep 29, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  3. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I dont think so---I have 7 or 8 pages that are very good translations to Spanish. The pages all rank well for whatever it is they do-

Something would have to be awfully simple to set off a duplicate filter...if a translation tool were used to compare.

My name is ROAR. I live in a blue house with 3 windows. etc

ROAR, Sep 30, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  4. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay... I have a site visited by many German, Polish, Dutch and Spanish Elvis fans... how do I get my site translated into different languages...

Do I just place a code into the site or do I have to manually translate every page individually... with over 300+ pages that would be big ask...

Thanks....

ElvisFan, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    There are translation programs available. In fact, google provides translator for certain languages. Suspect the quality of garbage out is high. The best way is to get someone who speaks the language to translate for you. In your case it sounds like a huge expense.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  6. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    So what are you saying .... that I would need to translate every article into 3 different languages one by one...

I'm asking is there a program that would translate my whole site (every article) into the languages I want by simply setting a HTML code into each page.... thanks,

ElvisFan, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  7. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    From what I have read there are programs that will do the translations, they just are not very accurate. Unless you speak the language yourself, you will not be in a position to judge how good or bad they actually are.

I have had no experience with copies of sites in multiple languages. We want to put copies of several handbooks online in multiple languages. I, like you, am trying to learn more about this.

Shannon

Smyrl, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  8. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.google.com/translate_t

It's the best computed traslation in the world i could ever find.

Altough it's the best computed one, it's not perfect. As Smyrl said, if you are not a good knower of that language, you can;t know if the translation is gramaticcly correct.

Cristian Mezei, Oct 2, 2005 IP
  9. discoverclips

discoverclips Peon

Best Answers:
    another good one is altavista's babel fish, I always use that and it's pretty good I think

discoverclips, Oct 2, 2005 IP