1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Guide to Searching Digital Point

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Qryztufre, Jun 12, 2007.

Duplicate threads are technically against the guidelines of Digital Point. So learning how to use the search feature can help ensure that you’ll not get an infraction, it will also help to keep the forums here free from excessive clutter in the form of duplicate content.

The FAQ has the search feature described as:
    You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums.
    To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages.
    You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so.

But it is a little more involved then that so I figured I'd help all of you that can not figure some of it out. I've broken it down into several categories to make it easier on you and have some pretty images to guide you along the way.
    There are three main methods of searching Digital Point, though each method uses the same backend search feature. I’ll do my best to explain them all so that you can better utilize each one.

The first method is linked from the Navbar (the little menu near to top of every page)
    [​IMG]

To search from there simply click the little down arrow, fill in the blank, and click [GO]. By default it is set to show you matches by thread, though you can click ‘Show Posts” and your results will be in a by-thread format. This is nice if you are looking for a specific post. I go into more detail about both options later.

At the bottom of the little drop down window it says Advanced Search. Thaqt will take you to the main search feature with many more options to choose from.

The second method of search is on a per-forum basis. This drop down menu is shown below the navbar, under and a bit to the right of the previous option I discussed.
    [​IMG]

This works exactly the same as above but will only show results from the particular forum you are in, including any sub-forums.

The third method can only be reached by clicking on the Advanced Search
    shown in the two previous methods.
    [​IMG]

A - Search by Key Word
    Searching by Keyword is the most often used option of the search engine. Its main limitation is that all words must be four letters or more in order for it to function.

You have TWO options here:
    - 1) Search Entire Posts - - This searches the entire thread post by post looking for the key word. - 2) Search Titles Only - - This only searches the titles of threads for the key word. Many forums have a 500-count buffer to your search, though here at Digital Point it is significantly greater. Though if you are looking for something and find over 500 posts it may be a bit overwhelming so you may find it in your best interests to check out the additional features.
    • searching forum by forum, or rather figure out where your keyword best fits and search in that particular forum.
    • Fiddling with the Search Options below.
    [FONT=&quot]B[FONT=&quot] - Search by User Name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This is simple enough. Just type in a user name, or part of a user name* and then click the SEARCH NOW button. This option allows you to search for posts of entire threads based upon which option is chosen in the drop down menu.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1) Find Posts by User[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This will show all of the threads that the user has posted in.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2) Find Threads by User[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This will show all of the threads the user has started.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]*If you are unsure of the exact spelling of the username you can just give a few letters (just be sure the Exact name box is unchecked).

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Search Options:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Find Threads with[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    This option allows you to search for threads with _X_ number of replies. You can tweak it so that the engine looks for threads with less then (at most) or more then (at least) the number entered into the "replies" box.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Find Posts from[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    You can state the time frame of the threads shown with this option. The dates range from your last visit to a year ago. You can then specify whether you want to show new or older posts based upon your date entry.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Sort Results by[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    This option tells the engine how you want things shown when it finds them. There are several options here based upon your preferences. It also allows you to place the hits in ascending or descending order.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The default is LAST POSTING DATE and IN DESCENDING ORDER which is what I recommend as it is set up like the default preferences of the forums themselves.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]F[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Show Results as[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This section tells the engine whether you want the hits shown as individual POSTS or as THREADS. If you are looking for general information on a topic I suggest looking for THREADS then reading what is found. If you are looking for something specific try the POSTS option. Just remember the 500-count limit with this as looking for POSTS will likely show several posts within a single thread leaving many unfound. You can tweak the other preferences to counter this.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]G[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Search in Forum(s)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For the most general of searches you will want SEARCH ALL OPEN FORUMS though if you are looking for specific information or if a general search finds too many threads you can pick and choose which forum you'd like to search in.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Search:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    H[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - The buttons![/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    - [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1) SEARCH NOW[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This tells the engine to do its job once all the other fields are chosen.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2) RESET FIELDS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This clears all of the fields and sets them to default.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Preferences:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Preference menu[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    This allows two options.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1) SAVE SEARCH PREFERENCES
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This will save any changes to the above fields in case you have individual preferences while searching.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2) CLEAR SEARCH PREFERENCES
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This changes your saved preferences back to the standard default.

You can also search the Member List if you are looking for a specific member, rather then just their posts.
    [FONT=&quot] _________________

If you would like to post this on your forum, PM me and we can work out details.
    [/FONT]

Qryztufre, Jun 12, 2007 IP
    kgrad, Scriptona, Brian1970 and 2 others like this.
  2. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have we really got any members who can't figure out the seach facility? :confused: Good luck on your quest to Stickydom!

CountryBoy, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  3. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great guide! Will sure help the noobs.

- Prilep :D

prilep, Jun 12, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    mad4, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For finding posts within a specific time frame, or in many cases a forum, the vB search Function is actually better suited. While using Google to look things up can be a godsend at times, refining the search through Google can often prove rather difficult, if not impossible.

I also listed a Google coop search in the initial post, which limits the search to just Digital Point, saving one time from typing SITE:forums.digitalpoint.com

Qryztufre, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  6. Philvault

Philvault Active Member

Best Answers:
    neat and informative. thanks!

Philvault, Jun 12, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  7. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    It's not that hard!! I hold da DP sticly record, with three stickies!!! And I'm an annoying wacko!!! :D:D

Shawn, can you sticky my 5,000th and 10,000th post threads!!! :D:D

Nintendo, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  8. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well this is great post and I am sure it would be help to all new and old members but they have to read it because new members never spend much time for read rules and guides.

Rohit patel, Jun 13, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  9. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it's great guide that members must read. i think people does not like search on dp :)

trichnosis, Jun 13, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  10. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    New users(who dont know about search function) will not visit this section unless they have got an infraction. We should add this into the welcome email which a users gets upon registration.

inworx, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  11. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:

It's not hard for a wacko to make 3 sticky posts! :D

--Joe

jdR!pper, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There are a few good threads out there that likely could use a bit more support. Many of them are rather handy, and useful to new and old members alike. Though I'm really unsure if something like this really needs to be listed in the greeting Email...though it may be beneficial to get a link from maybe the FAQ entry on SEARCH, as that's really not very helpful at all. A link from the infractions thread may help too. It could get listed under the "Duplicate Thread" entry (its where it's at on my forum).

Either way though, I don't really mind, if this has helped even just a few people then GREAT! That's why I posted it. So all those that have said something nice, Thank you :)

Qryztufre, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  13. aleo1203

aleo1203 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mad3+1

Thanks for the hint on how to use google to search dp (I would have quoted you but your post had a live link, and they are "not available" to me yet, and I'm okay with that). I'm a big phrase searcher and the dp search function seems to lack it. This will def cut down on my duplicating threads. Peace in the middle east.

aleo1203, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

You must have missed the end part of the original post:
    It'll save you from needing to type in the site: command and has all the power of a regular google.

Qryztufre, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  15. aleo1203

aleo1203 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre

I appreciate you pointing that out to me, sometimes I scan too quickly on those longer posts. That's a nice tool and will come in handy. Thanks for the post and thanks to guyfromchicago.

I wonder if it will still pop up the error page as referenced in this thread:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=368737

aleo1203, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  16. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, the stickies are NOT read much by the new members. When they are forced or asked for, they do, otherwise nah.

inworx, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  17. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With the repetitive questions and posts around the forum, then yes there are many people who can't use the search option or at least ignore it ;)

Thanks for the tutorial Qryztufre :) - I'm sure it will help some people here ;)

Scriptona, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  18. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With the time spent on your post you deserve something.

Good post I’m sure it will help new members.

Rep Sent.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  19. kgrad

kgrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this. :)
    I agree there are people who do not know how to search... ;)

kgrad, Jun 21, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  20. Monkeybill

Monkeybill Peon

Best Answers:
    the search bar is what I go for in any forum or place on the net, its always been my personal site map. wouldnt you say its the best way to navigate?

ps -- im fairly new on this site.

Monkeybill, Jun 21, 2007 IP