1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitters and Guidelines

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Jun 11, 2007.

I was curious to know how many submitters might read our submission guidelines at eWebPages.org since they're on a separate page and not part of our submission form.

I thought it would be a nice gesture to express our appreciation to those that did take the time to review the guidelines, so for 2 weeks we offered a coupon code for 40% off of Standard Listing as a way to say thanks.

Even though we received a number of submissions during this period, only 2 submitters took advantage (or found?) of this offer.

How do you try to get submitters to review your guidelines without complicating the submission process? Is it a good idea to list some basic guidelines on the submission form? Do you utilize a terms of service or guidelines acceptance checkbox on your form?

CReed, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    Antonio likes this.
  2. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most people wont read the guidlines even if it IS on the same page...

pctec, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  3. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    true pctec...

i read the guidelines of ewebpages becuz i wanted to see whether it is yearly or not and found the code ...

well creed thats what they say ...

person who follows the rule gets the advantage so if they read the guidelines they get the coupon :p

smub, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  4. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would read the directory guide if they do have when I submit to a directory anyway. :)

But from the submissions I received, 70% would not read it, that's why most submissions can't get accepted. It is often happened to free web directory, as most submitters only care when they could get in.

Antonio, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  5. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    It's true. Most people don't read submission rules because they assume they are the same for most directories, and after reading a few and being involved in the community, they think they pretty much know how it goes.

mystikmedia, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    By the way, thanks for the 15 submissions at 40% off :evil grin:

an0n, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  7. Antonio

Antonio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BTW, what's the coupon, I feel I miss something :eek:

Antonio, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  8. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol --don't embarass me. Hope I am not the only fool:eek:

To be honest, I didn't read it few hrs back. So I should get my punishment by not getting the benefit.:p

I only read submissions on the Submision Page. For example I didn't dare to submit on worldsiteindex as they mentioned that they do not accept certain sites. I read most submission guidelines like uncoverthenet (their submission page is not working:() --but only the the submission page.

jhnrang, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  9. Bebicul

Bebicul Writer

Best Answers:
    I read the guidelines wanting to take advatage of the offer during last weekend. I had a question about the title, got an answer right away.
    Unfortunately, I decided not to submit. Thanks for the quick answer, anyway! :)

Bebicul, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  10. onlinedude

onlinedude Peon

Best Answers:
    @CReed - do you actually read the guidelines in full of every directory you submit sites too?

I know that I don't. I skim directory guidelines quickly to see if there is something that looks out of the ordinary. I doubt I ever click through to another page to read guidelines.

On my directories, the approach I take is to try to keep the guidelines as short as possible by only including essential points, and keeping the guidelines just above where people submit.

onlinedude, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  11. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually read the submission guidelines couple minutes after I submitted 36towns, i was kinda disappointed not to get a 40% off :)

aspidov, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hehehe...I'm guilty just like the rest. Other than a few major directories I'll at best skim the guidelines like you mentioned (and I've had my share of rejections as a result).

I'm considering options that'll hopefully improve the submission process for our directories and I appreciate everyone's input.

CReed, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  13. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i try and read all the guidlines for submissions,but i have to say if im on a roll doing submits,i tend to miss things..sorry all if i have done this to your site

templates, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried to do both actually with my Best Internet Resource -- I made a somewhat brief guidelines on the submit page and tried to divert them to full guidelines on Review Policy page that has detailed guidelines.:) Hope my submitters have clear idea.:p

jhnrang, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  15. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Richie_Ni, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  16. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    exactly what we're looking to do ;)

CReed, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    Richie_Ni likes this.
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just like the guidelines, you have failed to read the thread.

past tense, e.g. overwith.

hahahah

(not unless you mean you submitted 'while it was in effect, and didn't notice. (your only escape out of this one :evil grin:))

an0n, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must hide ---somewhere -:eek: these guys would .......& .won't let me ..:p:p

jhnrang, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  19. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to read the guidelines - when I can find them.

I mainly look for 3 things - paid/free, homepage only/innerpages allowed, and if title must be "official site name".

I don't understand why every directory doesn't address those 3 things clearly and if not on a TOS page then on the submission page itself.

YMC, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  20. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can't force them to. But one thing you can do is use Javascript to check the form for obvious problems that would suggest the guidelines haven't been followed, and then alert the submitter to this. For instance, you could check the url field for deeplinks, and then say "sorry, we don't accept these" if you find them. Or you could check for words and phrases that are likely to be off-topic or banned in your directory.

Obelia, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.