1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is Going Down and MSN/LIVE dominates?

Discussion in 'Google' started by venetsian, Jun 9, 2007.

1. depotgang

depotgang Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe Alexa anyway.

depotgang, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  2. otezz

otezz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is still my best friend :)

otezz, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  3. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    My traffic from Google is at about 90% of all search engine traffic i get

sandossu, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  4. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm... And I was wondering if MSN was actually still in the search engine game. Does this mean that Google isn't really "the internet".;)

potentmix, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  5. Tipem

Tipem Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be silly. Alexa ranks traffic based on their toolbar (people who have it installed). About .01% of all Internet users have this toolbar installed. So, it's safe to assume that Alexa is 99.99% inaccurate. There is no way MSN/Live is dominating seeing that their indexes are crap. You'd think that with all of the money Microsoft has they'd be able to develop good search technology... nope. :)

Google wins... always. :( Sorry.

Tipem, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  6. rentdn

rentdn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    C'mon guys there is no sence compare Google with MSN , Msn is too far to reach google

Google rocks IMAO

rentdn, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's see how Google is going "down" and how MSN is going "up" for me so far today:

Google------91.80%-----987
    Yahoo--------5.70%------62
    AOL----------1.80%------19
    Netscape -----0.30%-------3
    MSN----------0.40%-------4

helleborine, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  8. venetsian

venetsian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey All,

Yes I can confirm that all my websites receive more traffic from Google rather than Yahoo, MSN or Live and I myself was really shocked by these statistics.

Now we all know that Alexa is very weird and shows crazy stuff some times .. but those stats highlight that MSN/LIVE is up almost 1.5 times than Google ... can this really be true?

CAN THIS REALLY BE TRUE ???

AND HOW CAN WE FIND OUT ???

That's my question

venetsian, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  9. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    This picture is highly missleading.

For a starters just because you mention a subdomain doesnt mean alexa only gives you the traffic for thoes subdomains, it gives you everything main domain, subdomains everything.

MSN & yahoo are bigger than google because they are portals. Also msn has live spaces under the live.com domain where google has separated blogger from its main domain.

So how many hundreads of subdomains more does yahoo and msn have than google? Loads more, yahoo email is still the biggest most popular name and its under the yahoo.com domain, microsoft has its mail under live.com now and google being the smallest of the 3 also uses mail.google.com.

The stats are NOT showing you anything about how popular the search feature is but how popular the entire domain is overall.

Pierce

Pierce, Jun 10, 2007 IP
    helleborine and venetsian like this.
  10. wildstone

wildstone Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting graph...but i think google is still NO-1

wildstone, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  11. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    interesting stats, you have there. Alexa could have a glich i think.

501, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  12. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    the author of this pm'd me about giving him bad rep, i have no qualms about giving it or explaining why I did it, but to be fair I will show you my stats of almost a full year (im nearly a full year up) so this is a site that had to get indexed as a brand new domain into google, yahoo, msn and all the rest. This is the pie chart showing the distribution:

[​IMG]

(image hosted with imageshack.us)

By far the hardest to get indexed was google, easiest was yahoo, and msn.. well they are still building datacenteres to cope with the amount of data.

As you can see 80.7% of all traffic is from google, that gives about 19.3% to all other search engines to share. (If anybody knows what google analytics means by "search" the one that takes up the red please let me know)

Yahoo is clearly second here, while msn is behind aol (aol is powerd by google).

The only reason for MSN to be behind here is because they only have about 110 pages of the 27,800 pages google has indexed.

So hopefully this graph shows that any young site, even at the mercy of google sandbox filters and so on so forth, google is by far the biggest and the one you need to target.

(for the record my alexa rank stands at about 450,000~)

Things to note about this pie chart, this doesnt count unique people, it counts visits. As such a returning unique, could be 2 visits or more.

Pierce

Pierce, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  13. RugbyMan

RugbyMan Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello, can you please share the blog post with me.. i would like to read about it more..

appreciate any response

RugbyMan, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  14. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think anybody really believed Live would be number one. At least any time soon.

rmartish, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  15. desibull

desibull Peon

Best Answers:
    alexa is highly unreliable. While MSN, Yahoo have their own place in SE market, I see none of them coming even close to google.

desibull, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  16. venetsian

Best Answers:
    I don't really want to argue, but can you show us a proof of your keyword standings on both Yahoo and MSN/LIVE ? Because if you're ranked well on Google and not that well on Yahoo and MSN you should not expect the same search volume on both right??

If you are ranked on similar positions on all Search Engines, then I can say that your statistics are 100% correct, but otherwise not really.

That's the main reason I didn't post my own website statistics, because I do receive about 85% of my traffic from Google, but I don't rank well on MSN and Yahoo and therefore I can not say that this is good evidence of search volume.

Can you?

17. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough,

[​IMG]

This is the single biggest keyword for my site (its the site name), same time frame. Its a unique word that doesnt exist in the dictionary and as a result ranks number 1 in google/aol/yahoo but not msn(the blog ranks number 1 for some reason).

The demography of the audience is non technical geek people who use whatever search engine they wish.

Pierce

Pierce, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  18. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lOl. Don't trust Alexa. We know from various media reports (who use data from places like Nielsens) taht google is in fact extending the lead over the other two.

qwestcommunications, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  19. jmafonseca

jmafonseca Peon

Best Answers:
    My 2 cents in this discussion : Alexa is skewed the same % for everyone in the universe of alexa toolbar users.

So, for that particular sample yes msn went up and google down. But as someone else pointed out here that does not mean a thing if the sample is too small.

Where do you find out the number of alexa toolbar users anyway?

Let me be honest with you : a little competition would not hurt the SEM world, but I am happy with Google - they´re an honest company and so far have been friendliest with regards to us(within the limits of how friendly a search engine can be with those who live off of ranking in it).

jmafonseca, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  20. venetsian

Best Answers:
    Hey Pierce,

I have the same results for majority of my websites. Only one shows 75% MSN and I'm not sure why .. but whatever .. yes I do agree with the facts that Google gives more leads and that's obvious in all website statistics that we have.

The thing is that those Alexa stats don't show anything and that's due to the sub-domain issue which messes up the data completely ... and we all know that Alexa is way off chart anyway so ... I guess that's the way it will continue to be ...

Cheers,

Venetsian