1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Firefox: Problems with layers and Iframes

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by cssquest, Sep 28, 2005.

my index page contains a table with 2 rows.

- Top row contains navigationbar with layer pulldown menu.
    - Bottom row contains Iframe field.

The problem is in FireFox. When I move over the navigationbar the pulldown layermenu comes vertical out. So far this works. When I scroll down and my mouse moves out the layer [onmouseout]. The layer stays visible. In IE the layer disapear [this is correct].

I know the problem is Iframes in combination with layers DIV

note: I just did download firefox 1.5 beta 1 and now this problem works. But in earlier versions of firefox it still gives problems. Is this a bug in Firefox or can i do something about it.

below the link you can see the problem in firefox below version 1.5 beta 1
    http://www.gjs-gorinchem.nl/ff.asp

cssquest, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  2. Klaas Koopman

Klaas Koopman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    simple don't use iframes, use css!

Klaas Koopman, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  3. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Since it works in the newer version of Firefox it seems to be a bug, although I see another problem than you explain. The onmouseout function works in my Firefox 1.0.6 but the background color of the iframe is read instead of white which looks a little strange. Also the menu is in another position in firefox so the header overlaps with the iframe border. There is a way to get around iframes with dynamic html I think, something like the new feature in vBulletin 3.5 RC 3 to make a posting and the content appears on the page without refreshing the whole site.

Chrissicom, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  4. Enigma121

Enigma121 Peon

Best Answers:
    Another gotcha we ran into with Firefox today. If refering to form elements within Javascript, you need to make sure that id attribute is set. Name attribute works fine for IE scripts, but not for Firefox.

Enigma121, Sep 28, 2005 IP
  5. cssquest

cssquest Peon

Best Answers:
    I found a solution on the website of PVII ProjectSeven.

'Some browsers will not recognize the mouseout event from the menu since the mouse is over the Iframe, which is technically a separate document. You can work around this issue by adding a mouseover trigger directly onto the <iframe> tag that will close the menu.'

You have to add a onmouseover to the <iframe> tag.

for the full solution go to the website of ProjectSeven and use by search the keyword: iframe

cssquest, Oct 7, 2005 IP
  6. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    dave487, Oct 7, 2005 IP