1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The number of people with AD blocking software / plugins is raising.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by www.techdo.com, Jun 9, 2007.

lately i've noticed that the number of impressions (and earnings) in adsense statistics are less week after week; while the number of accesses to the Website is increasing

maybe many people is using ADv. blocking software / plugins ?
    should i think about something different from Adsense ?

www.techdo.com, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  2. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it's depends of the site topics. If you site is aimed at webmasters and geeks, the percentage of them using adblock is high.
    But if it's a more general topic, like cooking or health, I don't think it's a problem, a lot of people don't even know those kind of plugins exist.

And if your visitors are mainly geeks, they know what ads are, Adsense or others, and less likely to click on it, even if it show up.

Are you sure that the impressions decrease is because of such plugins ? Did you check it against the pages view figures from your analytics tools ?

Monty, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  3. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think the number of people using ad blocking software is that high.
    Even webmasters doesn't block ads because they have to test, control, etc. their own ads ;)

zexy, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  4. petdam

petdam Peon

Best Answers:
    I know that konqueror has ads blocked by default. I had to unblock them in order to see what appears on my websites. And I guess this is a tendency that will spread to other browsers, most probably on firefox, less probably on IE (since MS has its own ad network).

petdam, Jun 9, 2007 IP
    micmicmic likes this.
  5. micmicmic

micmicmic Peon

Best Answers:
    Try naming all your css, images etc. with "advertisement" or something similar in their name, that way the whole site gets messed up. Or use Javascript to see if the adverts are loaded, and if not then refuse to show them the site. Or, write the code in dynamically with javascript, that may get round the blockers. Some people won't like it, but it takes the biscuit that people are prepared to leech without even giving adverts a second thought.

It's even worse that konqueror do it by default, that's really bad of them as it's adverts that keep the internet going.

micmicmic, Jun 9, 2007 IP
    www.techdo.com likes this.
  6. SoniCute

SoniCute Active Member

Best Answers:
    This method maybe should work on you too,the problem is many visitor use proxy site to visit website and all proxy site have features "remove javascript",and what I do is search TOP PROXY SITE and block all proxy site on their list (block url and their IP),and redirect to other page and give message like "Please dont browse anonymous or use proxy site to visit www.domain.com",and until now my method above success,everyday I added 30-100 IPs proxy site.

So I am glad to owner proxy site and top site who promote their site :),that make me easy to do my work.

SoniCute, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  7. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Spot on. I think, other than webmasters and techno enthusiasts, very few poeple use ad blocking software, though quite a few people might be tempted if they keep coming across popups.

qwestcommunications, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  8. dbdomains

dbdomains Peon

Best Answers:
    Norton had ads blocked by default as well. They may have changed it recently. But Symantec/Norton is what consumers buy at Staples, Comp USA etc, and often comes on new computers, e.g. Dell.

dbdomains, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  9. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think FireFox are going to introduce adblocking by default. Thay get some kind of payoff from google for ads through firefox, $50m last year if I remember correctly (which I probably don't), but a lot anyway.

Rasputin, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  10. micmicmic

micmicmic Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, if you go for the images with words like "advert" in their name, make sure you give all images a background with text saying to disable their advert software.

micmicmic, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  11. totalmasala

totalmasala Banned

Best Answers:
    i have never seen this problem, and i don't think people are using that much ad blocking softwares

totalmasala, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  12. feelexit

feelexit Peon

Best Answers:
    maxthon 2 is another browser blocks ads automatically. I stop using it because they are blocking all my ads.

feelexit, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  13. ChasLaser

ChasLaser Peon

Best Answers:
    Concentrate on your presentation of ads to those who will SEE it! You know what they say about the rest.

ChasLaser, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  14. micmicmic

micmicmic Peon

Best Answers:
    But monetisation speaking, what's the point in having non-paying visitors? they just use up resources.

micmicmic, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  15. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This should make google worry not us , we are just the small ones.I am sure they are thinking for solution to them.

zangief, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  16. ChasLaser

ChasLaser Peon

Best Answers:
    They add to your site's popularity ...which can bring more ...(non paying customers.;) )

ChasLaser, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  17. micmicmic

micmicmic Peon

Best Answers:
    But unless they like to you, how do they add to your popularity?

micmicmic, Jun 10, 2007 IP