1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone tried this yet? Ad-Aware 2007 Free «««««

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by timsdd, Jun 8, 2007.

I see they have a new version available, anyone currently using it?

I installed the beta several months ago but it was rather "out there", at least for me.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

They also are running "a special" on the paid version, which of course includes real time protection.

timsdd, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  2. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for letting us know, i have used the free version the old one, and it was good. at the moment am downloading it, it will take a few minutes!
    i hope it will be even better!:)

uttoransen, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  3. Disguised

Disguised Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Still using Ad-aware 2006 (Free version). Thought to download beta a while ago but not sure why I didn't :) but downloading this one. Hope to see some good results

Disguised, Jun 9, 2007 IP
    getjimmy likes this.
  4. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have a full version and it works fine for my system.

getjimmy, Jun 9, 2007 IP
    Disguised likes this.
  5. Felu

Felu Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks nice to me, let me try it out. I'll keep it if it works fine. Don't really need a paid version as i don't guess i get any spyware or adware on my computer.

Felu, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, I didn't realize that the new version was OTM (on the market), I suppose at some point version 1.06 will indicate as such.
    I've used the othe version for a long time as well, I knew many people on DP did as well :)
    :cool:, thanks!
    Y, I was debating the paid version...Spybot S&D comes with a 'resident' shield and also has 'tea timer' for IE. It also is very good when something wants to modify the registry so I'm not sure if Ad-aware would add an extra layer of protection or just be at odds with Spybot S&D.

timsdd, Jun 9, 2007 IP
  7. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I was off to create another thread to ask this question...duplicating my own thread, that would have been :eek:

I still have not switched to the 2007 yet, is everyone using 2007, or like me - the older version SE Personal V 1.06??

The reviews @ download.com were spilt, lots of love/hate going on it seems.

Some of the things that they said:

* some did not like the new system tray presence or that it's in memory all the time,
    * a lot of people had issues with Vista install
    * scans still take a long time and hog resources
    * uninstalling the application was a chore
    * some even had issues when it went to U/D the defs/program

timsdd, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  8. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ad-aware is good.

bogart, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  9. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes: so are cheetos but what VERSION are you using ;)

timsdd, Sep 2, 2007 IP
  10. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using the Ad-aware 2007 now for a few months and I pretty much hate it (sometimes).

If it wasn't for the fact that they no longer support the previous version (Ad-aware personal SE (which I loved)), I'd switch back in an instant.

1) First of all in the 2007 version, the update process is a joke...you never know if it is processing or locked up or what. There is a "status" bar but it doesn't show you a thing. Most of the update, both downloading and the actual application of the update occurs in the background, the user has no idea what is being done or if it's even being accomplished.

2) Several times I have started a "full scan" and more than an hour later it's just stuck in the middle of the scan. The application isn't locked up but it certainly has stopped the scanning process. It's like hello??? Want to finish what you've started??

Based on my dealings with the free version thus far, I certainly would NOT but the regular version.

Pretty sad too b/c I felt like this SW was a must have, a staple in this day & age. Now I'm not so sure!!

timsdd, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  11. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    well now they have Ad-aware 2008. I installed it (without having any other WIN programs running mind you) and the stupid thing would not work!! It gave me an incomprehensible error on start-up!

So here I thought Ad-aware 2007 was rubbish, Ad-aware 2008 is even worse, it does not work!

Just goes to show you newer editions of programs are not all they are cracked up to be at times!

Ad-aware used to be one of the programs I considered a must have for any windows user, now I am not so sure!!

timsdd, Jul 27, 2008 IP