1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Scandal of the YEAR

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by popotalk, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah Robin Hood is my HERO.

popotalk, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't aware that you know crowbar, it seems you know him very well. :D

gworld, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  3. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

paidhosting, Jun 7, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D:D

Thanks for the laugh, you obviously don't know who you are talking about. ;)

gworld, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what kind of people the ODP has. Freestyler you have given me a clear view of what a 2 Face Bi*** is all about.

#39 February 16, 2007, 07:45 PM
    freestyler

popotalk, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be hard on freestyler, the poor woman already mentioned that she has morals and principles but she didn't say anything about courage and how can you expect her to stand for her morals and principals without courage, while being threatened by "senior" editors. ;)

gworld, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  7. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    How pathetic is this ? Should I become a DMOZ Editor to have morals and principles in life ? Does being a member here at Digital Point eliminates me of a good moral character and principles in life ? And you are far better than us is that what you mean ?

Misato, Jun 8, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    RZ is privately owned and privately hosted. It's called Resource Zone because it was started as a forum with a different cause that seemingly was not worthy of being listed in DMOZ as it was a complete and total failure. Rather then letting that $160 for the vB license go to waste the guy that owns it let the editors play.

Also to note, the editor that owns has left the ODP at least once and returned...likely only getting his job back because he has rights on pulling the plug on such favoritism.

I can not recall the owners name...but he was not nice enough to reply to me via PM when I kindly pointed out the link in his sig was broken.

Qryztufre, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  9. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's that all about? Very strange in light of the fact that I've been singing her praises to high heaven, because she was quite courageously vocal in trying to convince a few stubborn and unreceptive metas that they should have an SOP for editor dismissal that includes a clear and unambiguous warning. I guess the metas are not receptive because it would deny them to privilege of hurting people in the pursuance of their private agendas and personal vendettas. Freestyler struck me as someone who is not easily influenced, and has a mind of her own. I've said as much quite clearly.

Did I misquote her to "bolster" my arguments? I think I quoted her in entirety, so there is no issue about context, and I praised her. What is our argument, BTW? I can't speak for everyone, but surely, it is obvious enough that I am arguing for a more humane, and more forgiving procedure. Not even for transparency... I hardly care for transparency, if it's done the proper way. Not just cut someone off for one bloody mistake out of tens of thousands, no appeal, door shut in your face.

She has to shout that she does "NOT SUPPORT" us??? What does she not support? Our heartfelt and unshakable defense of Annie, or our calls for a better dismissal procedure? For crying out loud, the ODP isn't national security, it's just a link farm. Do people need to hurt and crush over each other over a dinosaur that's more out of date with every passing day? Seriously folks, what is more important? Annie, or a handful of stupid links? The right answer is obvious to me; if you pick wrong, you're subhuman.

She can claim to disagree with our co-called "tactics" to bring change at DMOZ. What tactics? Anybody sees any tactics? There are not tactics because each one of us knows that it's impossible to get the dinosaur to twitch and make an iota of change, whether from within, or from the outside. We know it's a hopeless cause. We're not really trying. All that we have, is a huge collective heartbreak and outrage at the way an exceptional human being like Annie was treated. I am glad that you have "morals and principles" and that you wouldn't "sleep at night" if, like us, you were vexed and indignant about what they did to Annie. Do you even realize what you're saying?

Excuse me if part of this outrage includes describing the ODP as an amoral cesspool. I apologize if it's impossible to resist the temptation of invoking the word "sycophant" when reading crowbar's oeuvre.

If I sound like a "broken record" - so be it. You're going to have to hear the same lines until my heartbreak goes away - I hurt for Annie.

When they do the same to you, freestyler, I'll be there for you. I mean that sincerely. And BTW, I don't know where your brain was when you wrote that post, you probably left it to soak overnight in Pepsodent instead of your dentures, because I honestly think that, having read the your earlier posts, your heart IS in the right place, and I highly suspect that you panicked after someone higher up gave you a dire warning. I see no other explanation for your 180 degree turn. Godspeed.

helleborine, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I think you are wording things incorrectly. I think a "dire warning" would be through the dashboard system, and I think it's clear that is not used ;) though I'm willing to agree that Freestyler either got a 'talking too' of some nature, or thought she was going to.

I'd like to point out that if you agree with us, it does not mean you are "with us" or "support us" in any way. I agree that we all need to work together to save the planet, but I do not "support" greenpeace. I agree that slaughtering puppies is a bad thing, but I do not support PETA. I agree that "humans do it better" but that certainly does not mean I support the closed internal systems of DMOZ. In fact, I'd like for nothing better then the ODP to raise to it's former glory, and I'd love to participate in a fair and OPEN project such as what DMOZ SHOULD be....but I can not currently, not with how editors are treated. I mean, look at your recent post, and tell me, do you see fear? Should you?

11. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    At DMOZ your either with us or against us, anyone not obeying meta system lords is enemy and a traitor and must be merciless hunted down! :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  13. helleborine

Best Answers:
    What is the prize that causes so much pain and heartbreak? What is the prize? Just a buncha dumb links. All this hurting people, cult mentality, entrenched status quo, veiled threats, mindless groupthink, cruel ostracizations, quashing anyone with half a voice and half a mind, and pecking order fights, for a buncha dumb links.

Dumb links that are worth less and less every day.

It gets under my skin. It really does.

They seem to forget what's important in life. It's not dumb links - it's people. It's each other. That's all we have, in the end. Dumb links count for zero in the grand scheme of things. It's just a stupid link farm. Get a grip. No one should get hurt over a stupid link farm.

They could have said... "Annie's been our friend for years. She's having a hard time. Let's suggest she take a short break or alternative ways she can help if she's up for it. Let's first deal with our friend in a humane, compassionate, caring way, then we'll worry about fixing the links, and all that less important nonsense." But no. They shut the door in her face.

14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    TPTB in DMOZ are fools and they did not see it coming. ;)

popotalk, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  15. helleborine

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as privacy on the internet. It's not always about spying to find the "ugly" - sometimes, it's to find a glimmer of hope to hang on to.

I don't know why robjones decided to remove himself.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that his respect for Annie has won out, in the end.

Good luck with your contemplation, robjones. I forgive your allegations that I cooled my website repeatedly, if you are taking a break in solidarity with Annie. Wishing you a gentle breeze, the sound of cicadas, and sunshine - all things that heal.

Qryztufre likes this.
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I hate cicadas, but I understand the meaning behind the statement (and well wishes).

I also hope the following is true:
    I wish ya the best Rob, and I hope that the 'good of the directory' is your true goal in this, and that you return to help it each that potential.

17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That leaves spectregunner and alucard in which Annie regards them as DEAR FRIENDS.

spectregunner - Met him at itsallworthwhile in oneeye's niche directory. We exchanged nice greetings and a veteran man of war. As I understand military stand up and fight with dignity.

alucard - Annie still regards as a friend and is working on something secretly. Whatever it is alucard There is more than just DMOZ. Your a principled man and I hope those principles still in there. Its not about me or the hated people in DP its about your FRIEND Annie.

popotalk, Jun 8, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  18. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm! That is somewhat encouraging. It sounds more like the Rob Jones I remember. I was never that closely associated with him as an editor. However, as I remember it, although he was not afraid to speak his mind, I can't recall his ever having stooped to petty name-calling and mud-slinging. Maybe I just didn't see it, but I was shocked to see some of his recent internal posts.

dogbows, Jun 8, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Personally I would like to think that the better majority of the meta and admin teams got their jobs for a deeper love of the project and a longing to see it the best it could possibly be. I'd also like to think that rather then being evil, it's simply something they have become. Whether it's due to IRL issues, or even (more likely) years of dealing with crappy webmasters trying to get crappy sites in. But I do hope that they DID start there with pure hearts and clean minds, and that they grew into such bitter creatures.

Kind of like Gollum and his precious ring...

[​IMG]

Remember, even he was once good (Smeagal).

20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Its mine give it to! My precious! (hint: read biography in my profile :D)

[​IMG]

EDIT: This is my 666 post! :D :D

Ivan Bajlo, Jun 8, 2007 IP
    paidhosting likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.