1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Banned For Being #1

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by clasione, Sep 22, 2005.

1. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good point Scott, good point....

clasione, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  2. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    Any update on this? I'm genuinely interested.

SERPalert, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  3. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No update yet and their 96 hours on review for for search submit express is coming close....

clasione, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  4. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Well, I posted this earlier in the thread.

I also have tried Site Match. I applied on Friday and was included today. It has made NO difference in organic serps though! TFMG, your post earlier lead me to believe that this would happen once included or did I misunderstand you?
    My balance is $0 with $50 in Click funds available and I show this:

which looks like no activity. How can you see where the included URL is displaying?

Homer, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  5. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I probably shouldn't speak publicly about this too much at this point but I am going to let you all know that I really feel like I'm getting jerked around in this situation with Yahoo and I have now given over papers to my attorney for review....

If anyone else has been effected by a similar circumstance, now is the time to let me know in case this winds up going somewhere....

6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I have kept my case well documented and, trust me, feel like you do...maybe even worst...I'm given NO REASON :mad:. At least you have a reason (a BS one mind you). Anyways there are certainly similarities here and I am getting tired of trying to fix what is broken! Heck I've even paid to get back in on the advice of TFMG and still nothing (no I don't hold you responsible, but it was worth a shot :))

clasione, if you need any more details from me I think it's a good idea to PM from here on in. Strength in number is the best way to proceed from here, IMHO. I don't think you'll have trouble finding more pissed off webmasters right here at DP. As far as the person that said 'do you deserve to be #1' IMO, yes! I was for years and am still 'most popular' in the Y! directory :confused:. In many of the other se's I am.

If Yahoo said to me 'it has come to our attention that your site has infringed on our TOS for the following reason(s)...' That's a more professional way to handle it; I can accept it, deal with it and move on. I'd be happy to know what I did? If I get back in their serps it would be a bonus, but just know would satisfy me! Will I be banned for life?

To me this crooked cash cow portal is where Black Hat stems from. This cow is making BILLIONS and making there own law banning sites without investigating properly or for their own hidden agenda, no one to answer to :rolleyes:.

Homer, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  7. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We'll probably talk soon.... First things first. He's reviewing the whole thing and then we'll talk about it in detail....

8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  9. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    I've heard it from many many many authoritive sources.

SERPalert, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  10. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo Search Submit Express has exceeded it's 96 hour limit for a responce.... ___________

Dear Search Submit Subscriber,

Thank you for subscribing to Yahoo Search Submit Express! Your order has been processed and the following URL(s) have been submitted to our team for quality review:

http://www.longislandexchange.com/

Your submission will be quality reviewed and included in our search index, which provides search results to Yahoo! and a network of major search portals, within four business days.

The following is a summary of your order:

Account No: --------
    Invoice No: --------
    Invoice Date: 22-SEP-2005
    Review Fee: 49.00
    Click Deposit: 50.00
    Credit Card: -------
    Total Charges: $99.00

:cool:

clasione, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  11. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me argue from the other side for moment - what makes you or anyone else think that Yahoo or any other search engine is under any legal obligation to list you in the spot you think you deserve to be in?

Over the past year I've seen no less than a dozen people in forums threaten lawsuits because of how a search engine was ranking sites. To my knowledge, not one has ever gone anywhere. I imagine there are two reasons for this...search engines are not obligated to place your site where you want it in the serps, and, lawsuits cost $ and the search engines, in this case Yahoo, has more than you or I ever will.

How would you react if someone who had submitted a site to your directory sued you becuase they didn't like where you listed them? There site is better than the others in the catagory and they should be first.

It sucks that you got whacked from the index, but as schlottke pointed out it's happened to other sites as well. That alone could tie your problem to the algo, not a manual banning or removal.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  12. jiminoc

jiminoc Peon

Best Answers:
    wow thats horrible, how much revenue have you lost since then?

jiminoc, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  13. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem as I understand it is Yahoo's alleged MANUL removal/banning.

If the ranking is done by an automated algorithm, then it's a fair playing board and everyone has a chance.

When Yahoo starts putting human eyeballs on a site and has humans making a subjective decision as to whther or not the site should rank where it doesn, then you run into potential problems. When everyone is subjected to the same standrards, no one can complain. But when subjectivity is brought into it, and no reasoning given, then this starts to shade into the fair trade issue already mentioned in this ad. There's a difference between a search engine and a directory. By manully degrading rankings or removing sites, Yahoo Search stops being a true search and becomes a directory of sites that Yahoo thinks belong in it's rankings.

A strong ranking in a search engine, especially Yahoo and Google, can literally make or break an online business.

Search eingines offer a service, true, and no one has any right to rank anywhere any more than anyone else does. I do, however, think we will see cases cropping up where search engines are called to task to explain why a site might have been removed, especially if the site isn't breaking any of the search engine's 'rules'.

Thier own lack of communication is oging to come back to bite them. This is why I think Google is experimenting with contacintg web site owners and telling them why they are being penalized.

iShopHQ, Sep 27, 2005 IP
    Homer likes this.
  14. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Very well said, iShopHQ and I can't agree more. My complaint is NOT based on an out and out ban, but rather not being aware of the reason itself :confused:. It just doesn't sit right with me. I would like to make the point for GuyFromChicago that there is a difference between losing ranking and getting banned!

You're absolutely correct iShopHQ I have children to feed :D .

Homer, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  15. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I know. The title of this this thread is misleading. There are still pages for the site in question in Yahoo's index, it just doesn't enjoy the serp placement it once did. Based on that, I would say that the lawsuit referenced in this thread would be based on placement in the serps, not inclusion in the index. If it's about inclusion in the index the case is over - there are pages from the site in the index.

16. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Yahoo's banning methods have changed! On of my banned sites, for example has 23,000 pages indexed and just over 30,000 ibls showing. They have confirmed that I'm banned from serps :confused:, but at the same time keep my pages indexed...why? Do you think it may relate to YPN?

I have been brought up with the understanding that losing is a part of winning, but with every loss we learn from it. That's where I'm coming from!

Cheers,

Homer, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's Yahoo's version of the supplemental index and they just haven't come up with a good name for it yet:)

Are you unable to get the site to show up at all in the serps regardless of what you search for and how deep you dig in the serps?

18. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I have yet to find any keywords that this site comes up on including the url itself, pretty well the same as DP
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=coop+network&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt. There are 100's of other phrases that you can use for DP or me...nothing! Yet Google and MSN see them in the top 10.

Homer, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  19. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I've seen those examples and more from other sites as too. Leads me to believe that it's an algo issue of some kind, not a manual banning or removal.

Look at #7 here. I see a link to the digitalpoint domain. I would think if DP was manually banned you shouldn't be able to find it no matter what phrase you used.

20. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sorry to hear that Clasione,

did yahoo actually hit you with a lot of traffic then?

you say you spend 3 years promoting it, that must hold you in good stead as far as local business is concerned?

Solicitors Mortgages, Sep 27, 2005 IP