1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to remove pages from Google results?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by billybobjoe, Sep 26, 2005.

Hi - I've had some problems with a stalker lately. I have posted too much information in a couple of online forum posts that I'm worried they will find. I edited these posts quite some time ago - at least a month - but Google still turns them up when I use the right keyword. It also still has them cached. How can I get Google to relook at these pages? I don't have ownership of the websites, nor have the owners been cooeperative, so I can't use the google url remover webpage. How do I do this? All I want is for Google to re-look at these pages and update their caches and whatnot. Thanks!

edit: was just thinking about this... my understanding is that google will relook at pages that are less linked to less often than pages that are linked to alot. That would explain why these pages haven't been rechecked. Is there anybody out there that might be able to hide some links in their website to these pages? Or is there anything else I can do? I really really really need these removed.

billybobjoe, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  2. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Get inspired by cnet. Put the forum owner's private info on your site and tell him to cooperate if he wants you to remove it.

Sorry, your story got me mad. That isn't the best thing to do. Damn. That's not easy. How hard did you push the forum owner?

MisterZee, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  3. billybobjoe

billybobjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't even have a website though... For the page I want removed the most I sent a really courteous message to the owner of the site explaining why I needed it removed and how to remove it (robots.txt or meta tag) and the response I got was something along the lines of "no - I won't do this for you". I asked why and never got a response.

But I mean it has been at LEAST a month since I made the edits to these pages (it's only more recently that it's become a real issue). The pages were on maybe 4 different sites - and none of them have been removed from Google yet. It's amazing to me that Google doesn't have some automatic way to just re look at a page...

I just checked one of the cached pages, it says "This is G o o g l e's cache of httpxxx as retrieved on Nov 25, 2004 23:27:37 GMT." Does that mean they just stop caching some pages? Surely there's something that can be done?

4. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends. You can PM me the url and I'll take a look.

5. billybobjoe

billybobjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just sent you a link to the google results that has everything. Thanks so much!

6. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    They are in the supplemental results. The first one is currently 404'ed. Hit the google url removal on all that are 404'd. Keep trying to write the forum owners being less nice. It's easier to blow off a nice letter than if they think you mean business and have means behind you to back it up.

After you've done your best with the forums, write google a nice letter explaining the situation.

I don't think you can legally go any further than that unfortunately.

7. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    PM me the urls, i'll post/hide them on my blog and hopefully they'll get re-indexed.

Or create a blog at blospot .com and do it yourself. It takes a few minutes.

Roman, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  8. billybobjoe

billybobjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will only remove a page if it gives an http 404 error, not just a 404 html page, like that one. I'm actually working with the owners of that website right now to get that fixed - so that one hopefully is taken care of - but there are a couple other website admins/owners that have been much less cooeperative.

What e-mail would I write Google at?

billybobjoe, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  9. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually the server header they are providing is a 301 redirect. I couldn't detect what page it was forwarding to.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py

MisterZee, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  10. billybobjoe

billybobjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    done and done. Thanks so much!

billybobjoe, Sep 27, 2005 IP
  11. billybobjoe

billybobjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi - I'm wondering if anybody has any other suggestions? It's been two weeks and Google still hasn't relooked at those pages.

Well - I noticed google cached this thread 4 days ago - so I'm including a link to the fake blog post in hopes it will catch it. Comon google - don't let me down here.

edit: it won't let me post a link - even though I have 11 posts... ARGH

trying once more: http://genericusername26.blogspot.com/

billybobjoe, Oct 12, 2005 IP
  12. always

always Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm having exactly the same problem. I really need to get rid of the supplemental results which display Google's cache of my old blog.

Like Billybobjoe above, I no longer have access to the page. In fact I've deleted the page - so the site no longer exists. Before I did that I entered a metatag for NOARCHIVE to prevent Google from storing cached versions. But that hasn't prevented the cached versions from appearing under supplemental results when doing a site search.

I just want rid of these sites. For future reference I've learned to always use the NOARCHIVE metatag in my blogs, I wish I had known this before.

Does anyone have any ideas?

always, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  13. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should have kept in mind that forums are indexed by spiders... & not posted any confidential info. The owners have no obligation now to co-operate with you, and even if they do there's no guarantee that those pages will be de-indexed anytime soon. You can have your lawyer send a C&D letter to the forum owner & see what happens.

eXe, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  14. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Do a Google search for "Google remove URL" and request pages be removed.

Smyrl, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  15. always

always Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.

I was so relieved this morning when I ran the search and discovered all those horrible supplemental cached results had disappeared.

The supplemental results are still listed when I run an advanced search on Google, but the cached versions are no longer there, which means I'm safe!

So, the Google URL removal tool works!

always, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  16. etherjuice

etherjuice Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm facing a similar problem guys. A rather derogatory list was compiled by a (banned) member on a forum that is run by students from my uni. Typing my name into google unfortunately returns this list as the second and third highest ranked results :(

I have informed the forum moderators who have since removed my name from this list and flushed it from the google cache apparently. However, upon searching again, the title of the derogatory list is still associated with my name in google! :mad:

Is there anyway of deleting this result completely? By asking the forum moderator to delete the thread of this vbulletin forum, will this clear any association of my name with this list?

Additionally, is it possible to add the META tags to individual vbulletin thread pages so that it won't be listed in google?

Many thanks

etherjuice, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  17. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    As long as Google has a cached copy of the page with your name you are out of luck.

Smyrl, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  18. 4_reyes

4_reyes Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know this is a bit old thread , however for those still having the same problem with cached pages or reputation issues online.
    Nowadays You can hire a reputation management firm to protect and clear your online reputation, you can only show the things you want and have the negative pages removed from google and other search engines.

this thread is had last reply 2006
    moderator should close this.

Good Luck Everyone

4_reyes, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  19. Makbog

Makbog Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tips and tracks to Remove the page for Google. :)

Makbog, Aug 4, 2011 IP