1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Browser

Discussion in 'Google' started by bobafind, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Theoretically yes. But it is a competitive market.

Also, you mentioned that all you needed was an Internet connection. Plus that connection has to be broadband -- this really cuts down on the market size.

I for one (with broadband) loathe online applications -- just the lack of an "undo" function turns me off. Waiting to "save" or "open" a 3 meg file to a server, which may be slow at peak times turns me off too.

I can see applications such as mail, limited content management (above and beyond blogger), confrencing (maybe even Voice), etc becoming part of this new browser. But it will never replace the products that Adobe, MacroMedia, Intuit, MicroSoft (yes them too), OpenSource, etc have to offer.

This could (and should) effectively cut into enough of the MicroSoft territory which includes IE, Outlook, and Office -- the files could be easily stored remotely too for that matter. It could all be done for free also and supported by adwords. Plus the browser is good anywhere in the world on any website.

I do not think they will cut out the AdSense publishers though (as you mentioned previously). The browser will not be Ad supported -- just the services that they offer via it. The websites they visit is enough for them.

Dodger, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Ronnie, you can bet that this is a factor, running adsense on the browser, in addition to that, no publisher will get a dime from those ads.

IE ad blocker or other ad blocking technology like Norton Internet Security will not work on the Google Browser, this will be one reason they will come out with this browser/OS.

anthonycea, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  3. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    You have one wild imagination dude. I do not see any "ad bars" on this browser. None. Nada.

They cannot afford to leave the publishers out of the loop. It is simple. Not all people will be using this new browser to begin with. Maybe if they held 95% of the browser market, then they might do it -- but even then, I do not see it happening. It is against their nature to do so.

You will not use that browser if it had ads on a sidebar either. Neither would I, and I suspect a lot of people will not either. Get it out of your mind that they will even do it. The browser is in support of their free services which carry the ads -- they are not selling the browser, they are selling the services.

Dodger, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Ask some others about ads in browsers, do the Mozilla products have some ad support?

How about Gmail, Puffin is supposed to carry related ads to the files on the hard drives it searches.

Google would not be cutting publishers out by putting ads or text links in the browser, how do you figure, not every web page has adsense on it.

What if the GooBrowser by default showed ads when there were no publisher ads on the pages?

anthonycea, Sep 22, 2004 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't make logical sense to have the browser run ads in a side pane, bar, etc. The ads are carried in their services. Gmail and Search being the only two currently that do so.

Look at the three desktop applications that Google now has Gmail Alert, the Desktop SearchBar (which is in essence a mini-browser), and the IE Googlebar. In all three cases they do not use ads to support these applications.

And to suggest that they will run ads inside a browser window when the site is not carrying them is ludicrous. Look at Google's operating record to date, and how they dealt with adsense in the low-key fashion it is. People like this and they are not going to mess with a good thing.

To chuck adsense aside would be suicide -- what if nobody chooses to use this Google Browser in the first place or it gets popular and goes down the drain. They just lost their number one source of income.

You are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Dodger, Sep 23, 2004 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Opera does it - All google have to do is offer the same service.

"Pay $30 to get these ads taken away", while they get paid STILL if the ads are there :)

SEbasic, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Rumor has it (I know, it is still early) that Google will be using Mozilla technology as the basis for the new browser. This ZDnet article states the reasons.

You know, I have tried Opera and I just can't stand it. If I wanted all of my stuff rolled into one application that would be one thing. But a browser should be just that ... a browser. Not a multi-app type of thing.

I think Google is going to go with tradition and make it simplistic in nature, and not clog it with gargantuan toolbars, adbars, and sidepanels. This is my gut feeling on this -- and history shows this will hold true.

Dodger, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Ronnie, you may not agree with me, but at least we got that old mind of yours cranking again, that is all we wanted to do.

You posted a great article for us :D

I love your website RD, you do a great job, welcome to the Digital Point Jungle friend :eek:

anthonycea, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  9. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Anthony.

I was digging around a little last night and it appears that the Mozilla based browser may be just a heartbeat away, and not just speculation.

Dodger, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I LOVE the fact that they are working with Mozilla. That means it'll be quality, cross platform, and open to endless possibilities. Ohhh what if FireFox is googles browser in disguise? ;) Oh this is too good to be true!

However, on the other side of the story, don't we have enough browsers?

TwisterMc, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yea Twister, we have too many browsers that suck, Mark Andresson (hope I misspelled that right) mentioned that browser development in the last 5 years really sucked and I agree.

Most of them do not render pages properly, have bugs, and are bloated pigs that are hard to use for most average computer users.

anthonycea, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  12. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    This ought to get the rumor mill churning pretty good. I read this post at SEO Chat -- read it carefully and tell me what you think it means.

As for cross-platform browser, I don't think so. I think it will be strictly Windows. Their other desktop apps (Gmail Alert, Deskbar, Googlebar) have all been Windows. My feeling is that this puppy may integrate with that OS in some fashion -- much like IE does right now. This is the first step toward Puffin in essence.

You are right, another browser -- who needs it. But will this be just another run-of-the-mill browser?

Dodger, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  13. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt it, look at gmail as an example. It would have been easy to say "who needs another free email service" and I think they knew it. To combat that, they offered a gig...something that was pretty much unheard of in free e-mail.

I suspect that when Google creates a browser it will include a lot of features not yet offered by other browsers, or at least will make an effort to make vast improvements to the services included in the browser that are offered in other browsers as well.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 23, 2004 IP
  14. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    This sounds like IE to me. I can't believe how much they very from the standards.

TwisterMc, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The netscape browser was over 27MB, that is a bloated pig.

The Mozilla and Firefox browsers are the same as Netscape, correct?

anthonycea, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  16. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Nooo. Mozilla and Firefox are different. Same inner workings... to a point.. but Firefox is just the browser. No mail, no sidebar, no extra stuff. Not comparable to Netscape.

TwisterMc, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  17. Sholva

Sholva Peon

Best Answers:
    Did Netscape contain the JRE (java) installer? I can't imagine it being that big without a reason... like having the virtual machine packed in there too.

Sholva, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Download the new version, you will find out.

I have heard some say that the Netscape browser is spyware, funny that no one even has mentioned that.

Wonder if the GooBrowser will do any spy work, na, not Google, they would never do such a thing :mad:

anthonycea, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  19. Sholva

Sholva Peon

Best Answers:
    Netscape seems to use an installer program that downloads required components now, there is a full installer still there... doesn't seem to say what's inside though.

Google spy...? Well it knows what you've been searching for... for as long as you've been using it to search. You can't hide any secrets from Google :p

Sholva, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  20. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:
    A Google browser could be a huge improvement for the web. Seeing as they SEEM to be working with Mozilla / Firefox on this. Imagine a link "try our standard compliant browser" on Google.com ... it would have more effect in one day then all past en present Firefox promo websites together. About running ads in the browser ... are you nuts ?! People don't want ads in their browser, it takes up space and is just annoying, not to mention we webdesigner/developers/publishers won't promote a browser that replaces our own ads and Google knows they will need us to promote Gbrowser for them. Switching browser is a very hard thing to do for a non-techie ... sure it get's easyer but still, if they want a big marktshare they'll need al the help they can get. Another reason why Google would be interested in Firefox/Mozilla is for it's Javascript support, if they want people to be able to use their web-apps, they'll need serious JS support which is currently best in Firefox.

Charging for Firefox would be another huge mistake to make ... I'm not gonna pay when I can get Firefox for free (no to mention people arn't going to switch from a free IE to a payed Gbrowser, forget it).

What does surprise me is the fact Google has NEVER released a Firefox toolbar ... they run everything on Linux yet a simple gesture like releasing a toolbaar for the non-windows people is apparently too much, same for Win Firefox users like me. Hey Google, you can't beat MS if you only support MS products !

Percept, Sep 24, 2004 IP