1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ordering a new server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by cellularnews, Jun 5, 2007.

Ordering a new server, and just need to make sure I am understanding the specs properly (I am not a hardware sort of person).

I want a dual hard drive machine, as my server chaps can then split the database onto the second drive and not (initially) worry about load balancing etc.

So, they suggested:

Intel Xeon 3060 Dual Core Conroe Processor, 146GB, 10K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drive, 2048 MB RAM @ $219 + $60 for the second hard drive.

Net: $279 per month.

However, I also notice that my preferred hosting supplier also offers the following package:

Intel Dual Xeon 3.2GHz Processor, 2×73GB, 10K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drive, ECC Registered 2048 MB RAM @ $299

I lose some hard drive memory size but gain a considerably more powerful processor for a mere $20 per month.

Am I right in my presumption here?

Do I really need more than 2×73GB of hard drive – my websites are not graphic rich, and I am more interested in speed of response. I can even dump any images onto a 3rd cheapo server if necessary (S3 etc.).

Normally, I wouldn’t be too worried, but the new website architecture is radically different from my previous work and I do want to feel confident that the server will be the best I can afford.

cellularnews, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  2. Neptune

Neptune Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The thing to look for when getting a server is not only price and specs, but the reliability of the host as well as the traffic to the site. If your sites do not have a good amount of traffic, those server specs are way top high. The second configuration is obviously the better of the two and for 20.00 more a month it is a no brainer. But again if you do not need to spend that much then why do it? You can get a perfectly good dual core for under 150.00. Go check out webhostingtalk.com there are tons of deals there. Good luck!!

Neptune, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  3. inworx

inworx Peon

Best Answers:
    Try theplanet.com

cheaper probably:)

inworx, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  4. grandy

grandy Banned

Best Answers:
    SCSI drives are really good and gives better performance than the general IDE drives.

And definitely because of the higher clock speed, bogomips of the the second processor would be great. I would recommend you to go with the second specification which looks like better than the first one.

Good Luck.

grandy, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  5. cellularnews

cellularnews Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks all.

I need a high spec as a key component is very fast email delivery for newsletters which need to be managed in-house (I am experienced at that) - and the site can be fark'd/dugg at times, so I like surplus capacity anyway.

I'm already paying over $300 per month for two standalone boxes of lower spec.

I am using theplanet, as I have been with them (or their many previous names) for some years and are generally happy with the hardware side of their services.

cellularnews, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  6. grandy

grandy Banned

Best Answers:
    As i explained in my earlier reply, the second specification would be the best for you sir :) And also you can think about softlayer. They are as good as theplanet and also the extra profit is, they provide free VPN access with KVM over IP. As you are saying your sites are populated, thats why VPN / KVM over IP can be really useful for you.

Good Luck.

grandy, Jun 5, 2007 IP