1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Scandal of the YEAR

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by popotalk, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ivan Bajlo, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  2. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, Ivan! With the difference that the Mayas were more humane and compassionate for the following reasons.

(1) The sacrifice victim knows what's going on, and sees it coming;
    (2) when his headless body is tossed down the stairs, he's already dead and therefore doesn't feel it and
    (3) the Maya's staircase is considerably shorter than the ODP's, from whose stairs, it is rumored, you can tumble for years.

helleborine, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And Compostannie was a good part of the reason for that.

These should be bookmarked and broadcast across the net for all who would defend the spineless (but clearly not spinless) self-important legends-in-their-own-minds bullies who comprise the DMOZ inner sanctum... and for all current and potential editors who still hold on to some principles.

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    A typical DMOZ response - slander the victim to make it all her fault.

But of course it's the wrong explanation, as usual. Even to suggest that betrays the fact that either you didn't know Annie at all or you did and you know full well this is another smear tactic. You people are pathetic.

For the record, there is not one source - there are numerous. And none of them were Annie.

I also think it's hilarious that the admins and metas continue to hide behind the myth of secrecy. Just exactly who do you think is being protected? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I see Alucard reading this thread. There is someone I used to hold in high regard. I'd love to hear what you have to say about this, Alucard.

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The removal of Annie was the proof for many of what I was saying that corruption and abuse in DMOZ is organizational and I think this event will also prove that Alucard is just well oiled apology machine for DMOZ as I have always thought and posted but I hope that I am mistaken about him.

gworld, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We can stop the corrupt editors of DMOZ before they become too powerful in wikipedia and turn it to another DMOZ. They are already working hard on it and censoring DMOZ page and adding links to DMOZ is just part of it.
    There is already enough proof of conflict of interest and censor in the history page of DMOZ against these editors, so let's report this to wikipedia and stop these people and change the DMOZ page to reflect the truth.

send report to Wikipedia:Conflict of interest/Noticeboard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:COIN

Link to DMOZ page in Wikipedia

Link to see the history and who censors your additions

gworld, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  8. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    I can tell you for sure that you ARE mistaken . . .

threebuckchuck, Jun 4, 2007 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Dave, I realize it isn't going to undo the hurt and injustice but please make sure Annie knows how much support she has out here.

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I consider Annie a friend but it was not long ago that she was sure that I was mistaken about organizational corruption and abuse in DMOZ. I hope you are right about this but I am sure to a large degree that this is not the case. :(

gworld, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  11. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Wrong about Alucard being an apology machine?

===================

I just finished reading the internal DMOZ thread and frankly I am APPALLED with the ruthlessness of the slander machine over there. They are turning old friends against another with nazi-like efficiency. I bet the farm that many sheepish editors that are saying, to paraphrase: "If the metas say so, it must be true! Due process has been followed, how sad it is, but whatever is best for the directory! She must have been really slimy!" - I bet that all of them would have sworn on their mother's graves that if there was one person they would stand up for, it would be Annie. Now they see nothing wrong with taking the meta's word for it, while their hearts and their conscience tell them otherwise. You can tell from most posts that the editors are dismayed and tormented by having to decide between what they know is true, and what they are told by metas, through innuendos, which is that it the "wrongdoings" are much worse than they think. Sadly, most ignored the nagging voice of their conscience, and choose to repeat the meta's mantras. Very, very sad.

Us "DP trolls" have no such loyalty to the DMOZ "leadership." We are free to follow our consciences.

In light of everything, my respect for the courageous gboisseau keeps going up. Gboisseau is someone who stood up for what is right, much against the grain and the "culture," and knew where his loyalty should lie in the grand scheme of things - to his true friend Annie, not to the indoctrinated cult leaders and a moribund link farm. I wish there were more like him.

12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    You are still mistaken, there is nothing organized at DMOZ for a long time only disorganized. :D

13. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Yes. We stand united. The ODP can try to smear her reputation... over my dead body. And the dead bodies of many of us here.

We won't put up this this injustice, and we will take no flack from the ODP.

14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ Mafia is quite organized. Some one notices a wrong doing, A Meta removes the link, an Admin run interference that it was a one time mistake, defends the Meta and an editall adds the same content in form of another link. ;)

gworld, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I use to live in communism at lest there you had excuse not to act because if you sided with accused you risked ending up with him on nice little island in Adriatic. Oh well, all these silent editors will be joining us soon enough since they are next on removal list - everyone is guilty they just don't know it yet. :p

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I agree. I hope there are more. But I won't hold my breath.

Consider this post, noting the ironic title:

Now there's a loyal friend indeed...

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  17. helleborine

Best Answers:
    The parallels are frightening:

Replace "Russian literature" with DP forum, haha.

"Spurred on by governmental policies, the anti-Soviet histeria grew so large that, according to some accounts, allegations of listening to Radio Moscow or reading Russian literature were considered sufficient grounds for imprisonment. In most cases, the accused were imprisoned without a trial, and even in the event one did take place, it was often marred with irregularities."

And it's off by a few years, but it does describe the ODP:

"The prison was shut down in 1988, and completely abandoned in 1989. Since then it has only been frequented by the occasional tourist, and some sheep-herders from Rab."

Yep. The only visitors to the ODP these days are the occasional submitting webmaster, and some sheepherders from Rab.

18. helleborine

Best Answers:
    He's quite verbose and confident making sure he puts himself on the side of the powers that be, and turning his back on his friend. He's very firm about this. I wonder if he'll sleep well tonight.

19. Andy Peters

Andy Peters Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't get this at all. Probably just work it out and approve my site please.

Andy Peters, Jun 4, 2007 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's neither amusing nor helpful. Please find another thread to troll.

minstrel, Jun 4, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.