1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pagerank, what the numbers mean?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by my44, Sep 23, 2005.

One of my website got PR of 3/10. Another is 0/10. What does the number really mean?

I noted Google gets 10/10. Yahoo.com only 9/10, so is cnn.com. Anyone knows what other portals that score 10/10? Just curious.

my44, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  2. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't recommend that paper -- it's almost as old as its author and it rambles on about PR leak.

Try www.seobook.com instead -- you'll thank me.

minstrel, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  4. maro

maro Peon

Best Answers:
    as far as I know, pagerank is a number telling you how much backlinks you have and the quality of these backlinks! I couldn't find any other factor affecting the pagerank! And I think it is not that important as long as you are getting good traffic.
    I mean you might have a 0 pr and more traffic that a 5 or 6 pr

maro, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  5. puLse

puLse Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just a ranking that Google gives your website based on various factors

puLse, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  6. adresanet

adresanet Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I get PR 4 or 5 from PR 0 after just step or calculation if I have more backlinks from PR 6 pages ?

adresanet, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No that is wrong sorry, it is a common misunderstanding.

Firstly you must understand that every page has a page rank of 1 It doesn't show as such, but it does. (if a page didn't have a value then there would be NO pagerank at all as it has to start somewhere). A page can 'vote' (not lose) up to 85% of the value of itself in pagerank.

The ONLY factor in pagerank is the value of the links pointing to a page. Relevance etc is NOT a factor, it is a PURE arithmatical calculation.

Next understand that PR is not whole numbers, it doesnt jump from 1 to 2, it runs to many decimal numbers. e.g PR1 could be PR1.9999999 and a pr2 might be PR2.0000001 the difference between the value of these two pages is minute (o.ooooo2) so the value of a link from the pr1 page with 4 links would far outweigh the pr2 page with 10 links on it.

PR doesn't stop at 10, as it goes up to 10.999999 (or however many decimal points). similarly there is almost no such thing as a PR0 page (apart from under penalty pages).

So put it simply Pagerank is a value calculated by the totalling of the PR value of the links pointing to a page.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 25, 2005 IP
    i30 likes this.
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Good post, OWG (vBulletin says I have to spread reputation around before giving it to old bald stupid Welsh guys again :eek: ).

All things being equal, you will get more PR passed to you from a PR6 page than from a PR 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 page. BUT... it also depends on how many other outgoing links are on that page. A page can only pass approximately 85% of its PR to other pages, and that value is divided equally among all the outgoing links on the page. Therefore, a PR3 page that has only 5 outgoing links will help you more than a PR6 page with 20 outgoing links.

minstrel, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    All bow to the great king of savvy that is vBulletin :)

10. arounddelhi

arounddelhi Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is more important the PR of home page or each of the pages. Also mine was at 4 went down to 3 and back to 4 again, what does it signify.
    Anand

arounddelhi, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It depends on which page is linking to you. I'd say that most sites will have maximum PR on the home page since for the average site at least that's where the majority of the external links willbe pointing. What is most important to you if you are the recipient of a link is what pages contains the link to your page - usually that will not be the other site's home page so that's irrelevant.

Not much... some adjustment in the algorithm or new pages being added to the index or both. Happens all the time. What it probably means is that your page is a low PR4 (e.g., PR 4.000000001) which dipped to a high PR3 for a while (e.g., PR 3.9999998) and then back up to where it started.

minstrel, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  12. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Something Minstrel touched on, which directly links to something I posted earlier. The size of the index affects the value of PR. This is very very complicated, but when they introduce a bunch of new pages to the index they also introduce a whole lot of pagerank. Similarly it is now commonplace to see sites of 100,000 pages just go pop! This takes OUT 100,000 pagerank value, which knocks on an impacts on the values of all the pages those pages linked to and the pages those pages linked to.

Like he said, if your toolbar PR went down one, then it is because you are a weak PR whatever number.

Here is a tip though, the Google directory lists sites in the categories by PR Order or Alphabetically. Using this, you can see where you stand against your competitors.

I should state though that as far as I am concerned toolbar PR is overvalued.

13. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very good and to the point OWG on both posts.

Jim_Westergren, Sep 25, 2005 IP
  14. martaay

martaay Peon

Best Answers:
    concerntrate on getting quality links to your website, nobody who visits your site (apart from you) cares about or even knows about pagerank.

martaay, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  15. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I always say link for relevant traffic, because that way, regardless of any other factors, you have relvant traffic.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  16. arounddelhi

arounddelhi Peon

Best Answers:
    I have hundreds of back links on Yahoo and MSN while only in 2 digits at Google, why is it so vastly different.
    Anand

arounddelhi, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Because Google intentionally does not report all the backlinks, probably as a means of discouraging repeated queries and bogging down its servers.

If the other two know about the backlinks, you can be pretty certain Google does too - it's just not telling you what it knows.

minstrel, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  18. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice feedbacks from all of you, thanks a lot!

I agree that it's a lot tougher to score with Google that it is to get 1st page listing on MSN and Yahoo.

my44, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  19. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Page rank is not very important other than the fact that people rate your site's quality based on it. I have a pr 0 sites that right now get more traffic than my pr 5. Page rank looks good, but it is just a number. It is helpful when it comes to advertising though. Otherwise traffic has it beat.

tesla, Sep 26, 2005 IP