1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The new Google killer made live today!! Mahalo!

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Ohene, May 30, 2007.

1. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    nice site! you'll have to work on a way to automate crawling / ranking for two reasons;

1) It'll take up way too much time
    2) If / when you grow, people WILL accuse you of SERP fixing if it is manual. This could get you into all sorts of legal bother.

KEep it up though! Perhaps look for investors to give you a grant?

DoA, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  2. muki007

muki007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice site and good luck indeed, responding to the post above, how do you know big search engines dont fix the high $$ value serps ? I dont have proof that they do but you never know what is going on in Google , they would never come out and say we manually adjust the serps . I heard for instance that MSN was hiring people to do some kind of manual work on the serps , not exactly sure what and am lazy to give you a link but if you search for it , I am pretty sure you can find something .

M

muki007, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  3. thebigbreak

thebigbreak Guest

Best Answers:
    I called out Jason Calacanis on this last week on my blog. See the following post:

Jason Calacanis & Mahalo: Hypocrites to the End

Mahalo will be an "alpha" product until they reach 10,000 SERPs. Then, at 25,000 they claim to be a complete search engine. If this doesn't sound strange yet -- please consider the following comment from Jason himeself available on my first Mahalo post, Dude, Where’s the Mahalo Toolbar? :

"The goal is not to do everything… the goal is to do the top 10-25k search terms with humans using machines and partner with google for the rest."​

-- In other words, according to his own ambitions -- he doesn't ever want Mahalo to become a legit search "engine".

thebigbreak, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  4. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ewww...under Entertainment I saw a pic of Michelle Moore with a rubber glove on.

SFOD_D223, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  5. blogster

blogster Peon

Best Answers:
    also i tink the name is wierd...........

blogster, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  6. jacobs8

jacobs8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice design, I really like it!

jacobs8, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  7. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    It has been a few months now since Mahalo was launched. And I must say I am amazed at the growth and popularity of Mahalo. I first read about Mahalo in another section of Digital Point. I was very skeptical and didn't really think I would ever use Mahalo. Funny thing is I have found it to be a refreshing change to my internet experience.

I see Mahalo as a combination search engine and directory based on wiki media. True it will never search the web the way Google does, but it was never meant to. Because it is human powered and each search result is hand crafted by guides, you will never find spam or low quality links in Mahalo.

Mahalo has grown from 4,000 to 8,000 search result pages in just a few months and continues to grow by leaps and bounds daily. I don't see Mahalo as a Google killer by any stretch of the imagination. However, it certainly does seem to have it's own place on the internet.

Mahalo now has the Mahalo Follow add-on for Firefox which searches Mahalo and Google side by side for comparison. I have had two people to tell me after using Mahalo for one week, they never search Google anymore. And both were avid Google users before they installed the Mahalo Follow. If Mahalo doesn't have the search result that you are searching for, you have the opportunity to request it. Plus when using Mahalo Follow search box in Firefox it will generate the Google search when the page is non existent in Mahalo. Sorta like the best of both worlds.

dogbows, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  8. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't know how this is gonna be a Google Killer. I tried searching fpr "free image hosting" & get results which are not related remotely to free image hosting. I think this site is going to be spammed a Lot.

Red_Virus, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  9. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    Not a Google killer.

It couldn't find a single result for me. Everything was listed under "More results from our friends at Google:"

So with Google only showing the results, how is this going to beat google?

Also, the template looks to "girly". Nice, but too feminine. This will limit your audience. Another reason it wont beat Google, or Yahoo, MSN, ASK, Lycos or any other popular search engine.

I wish you luck though. Its always great to try and come up with something new and take on such big rivals.

Noddegamra, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  10. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    It sure looks nice, but Google killer? I don't think so, at least not yet. Quite a long road, before you can even compete with the big G.

WatchOut, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  11. idolw

idolw Peon

Best Answers:
    in travel sector, mahalo is crap.
    ads from big guys and nothing else really.

idolw, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  12. lorocreative

lorocreative Active Member

Best Answers:
    i like the GUI

lorocreative, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  13. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:
    I like the idea, how you have success!

Diablos, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  14. responsecode

responsecode Peon

Best Answers:
    Best of luck and your hard work takes you to beat Google. As it seems it is still in it's very early stages, it may take a lot of time. When I searched for webmaster forums, it said the results page wasn't written yet. Hope you would succeed with your project.

responsecode, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  15. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't have a clue why the original poster called Mahalo a Google killer. As I said in my previous post, I don't believe Mahalo was designed to be a Google killer, but it certainly seems to have a place of it's own. Especially for those who are finding Google to be more and more spam filled each day as I do. Mahalo is only a few months old, but I already know of people who are using it over Google all the same.

I suspect Mahalo will never be appreciated by webmasters who are looking to promote their own sites. But on the other hand end users seem to be taking to Mahalo very quickly and many do prefer it over Google.

dogbows, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  16. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was skeptical when I first read your post Ohene but after checking it out I think it does have a chance as a major player. I always thought there would be a need for a search engine that was different from the others. I hope this one is.

worldman, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  17. Fight Videos UK

Fight Videos UK Peon

Best Answers:
    I searched "Fight Videos" and got nothing.

I've spent a long time getting to #1 in Google.co.uk, and Im constantly working harder to get higher on Google.com. (my site fight-vids.co.uk << Get your "guides" to include me)

So, right now, Im thinking I like Google much better than your site :)

Fight Videos UK, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  18. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    this is search engine? Wow, the result is so irrelevant. You must remember, what makes search engine popular is the relevancy. Relevancy is everything. What you need is to satisfy your users. Don't forget this.

wokaka, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  19. Fisker

Fisker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    interesting concept... may turn out to big if handled properly. All the best

Fisker, Sep 13, 2007 IP
  20. Ohene

Ohene Guest

Best Answers:
    This sounds like a advertisement.

Ohene, Sep 18, 2007 IP