1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link age is a major factor

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Roze, Sep 23, 2005.

Hi all,

Today I came to the realization the age of links is really a major factor, maybe more so then people think. I know this is generally widespread information, but I have some data.

My site came out about two years ago, and when it did I immediately got a link to it from about 4/5ths of the top twenty sites for related keywords. I also submitted to directories, sought other natural links from related niches and eventually I had more then 3x the reported links of any of these other sites.

First it took almost a year to get out of the sandbox and once I finally popped on the radar, it was around #20. I kept building links but at a slower rate, I've exhausted the established sites that are truly relevant links. I've since crawled down to #13 and stayed there for months. The basic order of the first 20 sites also remained very static. Very few are actively updated or promoted to the extent that mine is.

The past few days we've finally had an adjustment in the order and I've gained one more foothold to #12. I carefully compared the site that relinquished it's spot to me with the others and I realize that it's an older site that hasn't been updated lately. Maybe not in the past 10 months even. I'm sure they weren't getting very many new links. However, they did have OLD links that have been in place for longer then the links to my site. That's why they'd been ranking better for so long.

What do I think is the reson for this readjustment? The links pointing to my site are finally starting to 'age.' when I first submitted to hundreds of directories, I had a huge jump in reported back links, but they fell again at the last update. My theory is that alot of the directories were under penalty or just gone. However, this readjustment in my reported back links is a very accurate depiction of links that have been established for quite a while now...and in the meantime, some of these little directories are showing serious potential with Page Ranks of 4s and 5s. It must be the aging...if that's true, I'll be seeing on first page in the next few months.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Roze, Sep 23, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  2. solaris125

solaris125 Guest

Best Answers:
    If you have have coop weight, do an experiment. Point 15K of weight to your site and you'll find that it'll climb to top 10. And if that happens it brings a new angle to your theory.

solaris125, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would expect Google could just flip a switch to increase the link age requirement and coop weight would be decreased. I expect that they haven't done this just yet, because important news related items would be affected also.

dvduval, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  4. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this info, Roze. I have to check this out. Most of the links to my main site are a bit old, and I haven't paid much attention to it.

Coupons, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  5. seo_expert

seo_expert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Link Age does paly a important role...

Google puts NEW secured links on temporary hold untill they matures and then uses their vote for the linking site.

So, newly accquired links won't add instant value to your website. These links once matured will benefit.

seo_expert, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  6. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Linkbuilding is only free if your time is worth nothing. I've always try to do sites that promotes themself, throw 50 bucks on adwords and thats it. It have so far been a winning strategy.

latehorn, Sep 24, 2005 IP
  7. RyanBlank

RyanBlank Guest

Best Answers:
    That's interesting.. did Google send you this Gem in their monthly "algorithm secrets that we only tell you" mailing?

i don't see how this information can be given with any certainty and stated as fact. there is absolutely no basis to what you are saying. even if i agree that the age of a link helps (or should help since none of us truely knows whether it does or not), simply stating that new links are placed in some sort of holding status and saying it like you KNOW it's truth is just plain wrong. when i aquire new links with anchor text focused on a keyword i'm looking to boost, as long as the links are on good sites i see results within 1-2 weeks at most. and even when i do see this boost, i would never attribute the higher rankings solely to this process strictly because i CAN not be sure of it. nor would i go spewing so called facts about my processes that i do not know to be fact.

coming up with this newly placed links theory off the cuff is doing a diservice to many people trying to learn what is and isn't real in the world of seo.

RyanBlank, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  8. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    This is also a potential devaluation issue - plus your site aging also has potential added value to your own internal links...

I think there's a general consensus that link age is a factor in weighting links in Google - but there are so many other weighting issues that are almost certainly involved.

I. Brian, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Undreds of them and bloody Google keep altering em all the time, sodding sliding scale algorithmic mofos :( ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:

Is this in Welsh ? :confused:

Design Agent, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No that was the language of rant :D

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  12. scott.symbiotic.com

scott.symbiotic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    you haven't given enought information but my guess is that you don't have your anchor text targeted to your keyword(s) for your SERP. You also have to relize that the net is very dynamic in the last two years alot of new sites have opened and many have closed, it could be even that several of the site owners have been optimizing their sites better. The links you see from google when you use their backlink option are only a fraction (sampling) so don't take them too serious. I like to use this call insted www.your_site_name.com -site:www.your_site_name.com. It also takes time for your links to be crawled and properly indexed.

scott.symbiotic.com, Sep 28, 2005 IP