1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need data to contain only standard English characters

Discussion in 'PHP' started by kkibak, May 31, 2007.

I'm exporting some data (using php) to a csv file for an import into another system, and I'm running into trouble because some foreign characters in my database are disallowed by the service I need to import to.

So what I want to do is (ideally) convert all non-us-English characters, such as Æ, to the nearest equivalent-for this example, AE.

If that's not possible, I need to simply remove all non-English characters altogether.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  2. nico_swd

nico_swd Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nico_swd, May 31, 2007 IP
    kkibak likes this.
  3. dp-user-1

dp-user-1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try this:
    <?
    	$data = "Original Data..."; // Your original data
    	$invalid = array("&#38;#192;", "&#38;#198;", "&#38;#199;"); // À, Æ and Ç - add as many as you need using HTML character codes
    	$valid = array("A", "AE", "C"); // "Equivalents"
    	$converted = str_replace($invalid, $valid, $data); // Replaces the characters with their "equivalents"
    	$data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9]", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters
    ?>
    PHP:

dp-user-1, May 31, 2007 IP
    kkibak likes this.
  4. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies guys, rep left for both. My problem is because I'm using a huge database with literally over 100,000 rows and a ton of data in each row, there could be a ton of these foreign characters. It's not just one or two I need to eliminate, but actually all non-english chars. Do I have to go through and do this replace stuff for every single one? Surely there's a function out there that already does this?

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  5. dp-user-1

Best Answers:
    Well, the code I gave you should replace only the characters you input. The rest will simply be removed. (That is, all characters that aren't A-Z, a-z or 1-9.)

6. nico_swd

nico_swd Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very important: Make a backup of your database before applying any code on the data. I guess you knew that already, but I can't repeat it often enough.

nico_swd, May 31, 2007 IP
  7. dp-user-1

Best Answers:
    Good point, nico swd.

8. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah okay! I didn't look carefully enough :) Just saw str_replace and the few conversions and thought I knew what you had in mind. I'll give this a whirl.

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  9. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks nico, actually not necessary though because I'm just going to implement this before the export to csv, not on the incoming data.

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  10. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    One last thing--I actually need to keep commas, periods & apostrophes. I suck at regex so would you mind helpin' me with that?

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  11. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    replace $data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9]", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters with

$data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9,\.']", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters

ansi, May 31, 2007 IP
  12. dp-user-1

Best Answers:
    That makes the final code:
    <?
    	$data = "Original Data..."; // Your original data
    	$invalid = array("&#38;#192;", "&#38;#198;", "&#38;#199;"); // À, Æ and Ç - add as many as you need using HTML character codes
    	$converted = str_replace($invalid, $valid, $data); // Replaces the characters with their "equivalents"
    	$data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9,\.']", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters, excluding: commas, periods and apostrophes
    ?>
    PHP:

13. dp-user-1

Best Answers:
    Let us know if it works. :)

14. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Worked like a charm, thanks so much for the help.

Not that this is much of a contribution on my part, but I put it together as a function thinking that if we post it here, people can add conversions to it over time and it could gradually improve.

So if anyone does add more conversions to the function, please reply with your code so we can all benefit :).

<?php

# Please contribute by adding nonenglish characters to the $invalid array and corresponding english chars to the $valid array

function english_only($data) {
    			$data = $param; // Your original data
    			$invalid = array("À", "Æ", "Ç"); // À, Æ and Ç - add as many as you need using HTML character codes
    			$data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9\.']", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters, excluding: commas, periods and apostrophes		
    }
    english_only($stringtoclean); 	

?>

Code (markup):

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP
  15. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    remove $data = $param; // Your original data. you pass $data to the function.

ansi, May 31, 2007 IP
  16. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for correcting that, i forgot to reverse some of the changes i'd made for my script--the function i posted here actually was missing the comma as well in the ereg replace

<?php

# Please contribute by adding nonenglish characters to the $invalid array and corresponding english chars to the $valid array

function english_only($data) {
                $invalid = array("À", "Æ", "Ç"); // À, Æ and Ç - add as many as you need using HTML character codes
                $data = ereg_replace("[^A-Za-z0-9,\.']", "", $converted ); // Removes the remaining non-alphanumeric characters, excluding: commas, periods and apostrophes   
    }
    english_only($stringtoclean);  

?>

Code (markup):

kkibak, May 31, 2007 IP