1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wolf in sheeps clothing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ServerUnion, Sep 22, 2005.

My cousin sent out an email forward to around 50 people. Was a low blow that came over very racist about the hurricane deal that has been going on. With his very conservative nature I was supprised.

The email was titles "Things I have learned from watching the news on TV during the last eight days:" with line item #1 "New Orleans has no white people".

This was sickening and here is my response, thoughts???
    --------------------

Racism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism ) can take many forms, even the backhanded comments of an email forward.

A few good things ( http://www.hist.umn.edu/~ruggles/Approval.htm ) have come about from this hardship. The Karl Rove scandal ( http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-07-12-bush-rove_x.htm ) is all but gone and we now know that taking care of horses doesn't give you the skill set for crisis management or resume writing. ( http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1103003,00.html )

Poverty doesn't always choose people and can be hard to remove yourself once locked into it. We can start the cultural change today. There is no needs to have differences described in terms of "white folks" and "black families" as this writer has chosen. We all can have a part in making the best of this terrible situation ( http://www.redcross.org/ ), even touching a few lives in the process.

If we must think in terms of them and us, we have truly lost our freedom. I suggest we all fast in our bathtubs filled with water for 2 days with the heat on full to truly understand the REAL difference between "them" and "us" and realize it doesn't have to be that way.

ServerUnion, Sep 22, 2005 IP
    zman likes this.
  2. Henny

Henny Peon

Best Answers:
    Your an idiot, you want to lump carl rove in with your racist family? And you want to call Bush a racist too probably, you make me sick. Its because of froot loops like you I moved out of Madison WI, enjoy your smoking ban, bunch o' hippies.

Henny, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the reply and the followup rating...

Actually wasn't trying lumpting them together, should have been more carefull with the context. Was just trying to tie in the common theme about issues being lost as soon as the next hot potato is passed. I agree, that part should have been laid out better.

BTW: His name is Karl Rove, not Carl...

4. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    The issues become lost because they had no legs to stand on and were only created to do one thing... further an agenda.

Most of these things that have come about are pure BS. Karl Rove did nothing wrong. If there was proof he did I can guarantee you he would have already gone down. There was nothing. Nil.

Racism had NOTHING to do with Katrina. I went down there a week ago and surprisingly could not find a single person who felt that way.

Bush didnt use a magical weapon to push a hurricane into the gulf, kill Cindy Sheehans son, etc.

Its all media hype backed by a hate for Republicans and the motivation to further an agenda.

Sad really...

zman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  5. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Zman - I agre with your point. Seems that everything gets masked by the next hot item. I really have limited knowledge of these events, just seems that you hear about them, then they are gone with no real discussion of the outcome. Hard to find the truth when you never hear the results.

Everyone seems to be going "them and us" from the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich and even my inbetween cousin. From either side all you hear is what they should have done for "ME".

I think this is something we can all agree on.

6. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    SU, the reason you never get the results is because the results would benefit those who the media are trying to hurt.

If they try and make up something and it doesnt work, they arent going to tell you it didnt work, they will just jump to the next topic and keep quiet about the previous. It's a cycle that goes on and on.

Watch the news to keep up to date on the happenings, but take everything you hear with much caution.

Remember... bad news is good news. :rolleyes:

zman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    The rove thing is far from being done, courts move at a snails pace

the leak happend like 2 or 3 years ago, and they just started really investigating it what 6 months ago.

the news is just a reflection of the population, it reports whatever people will want to watch

ferret77, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  8. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree with that but life goes on.

The news reports what it wants people to watch. The media has a way to make something out of nothing. It can take a five minute story and turn it into a three week controversy. Advertisers flow in and the money starts to move.

zman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  9. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    But someone has to watch it, if they make a 5 week story out of something nobody cares about, there goes there viewers

When there was a slow news from the government, they take whatever they think people will watch and run with it

Like in the big scheme of things, who gives a shit about a missing girl in aruba, I mean its terrible someone disappeared/ died but the reality is there was like 6 murders every day in NYC when I lived there.

One missing person only effects a small group of people, but the missing girl in aruba is perfect for voyuerism, the missing girl fits every middle american mommies nightmare. Pretty young girl just about to leave the nest when she is snatched up by some unknown people on a island vacation.

Fox ran news reports on that story everyday for months, why? .... becasue people love to watch it.

ferret77, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  10. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Because it creates controversy. Is Aruba bad? Who is to blame? it goes on and on.

They all cater to the money. The difference is that some cater to an agenda.

I dont like to see all these blame games happen but I'll watch it. It pisses me off when people blame a natural disaster on a single person, but I'll watch it. When I am sitting in an airport I disagree with what CNN is saying, but I'll watch it.

I hope you see my point.

zman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  11. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree. The news gives the majority what they want to see. You do know about "ratings" right??

If the news just put on whatever they wanted people would stop watching, and advertisers would go bye-bye.

yo-yo, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  12. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe quoting that post will help. ;)

We dont have to like it or agree with it to watch it. You may agree, but many do not. We still watch it though.

It is not the news, it is the medias opinion of the news.

zman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  13. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But you're not asking yourself WHY he watches it if he "dislikes" it so much. We're naturally attracted to watching violence. I think it's obvious people are more interested in watching murder stories and bombs explode on the news than what your local charity is doing down the street.

I don't like the fact that hurricane katrina killed over a thousand people, but do i still want to see pictures and video of the damage, looting and storm? Of course I do.

yo-yo, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  14. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it was common knowledge that the media manipulates things (even sutbley) to get ratings or to push a view across, eg by leaving certain facts out or telling them in a certain way (in order to imply certain things, etc). And as the media is solely concerned with ratings (lets not forget that CNN, etc are there to make money) they'd try to twist everything they can to increase ratings.

relixx, Sep 23, 2005 IP