1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sued from overseas

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mightyb, Sep 14, 2005.

Im just wondering. What would happen if il get sued by someone from US for example? Im from UK but im being hosted by an American company. How does that work? Which court would i have to attend etc

Thanks!

mightyb, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your host would be the first one they'd go after to get the site shut down. Depends on if its worth the time pursuing after that.

lorien1973, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Red likes this.
  3. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Oh right...

Well its just i have heard a number of horror stories recently. Its seems like you guys sue with every opportunity lol. I bet the legal cost would be greater as well if suing someone in another country.

mightyb, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Operate via a company or similar legal entity that you can walk away from with your house, etc intact.

sarahk, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Red likes this.
  5. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    America is definately sue happy. The laywers have a stranglehold on many aspects of our existance here and they protect it ferociously.

aeiouy, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    Red likes this.
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Spill your coffee on your lap over here and everyone will laugh and call you an idiot. Spill it on your lap in the US and you can earn millions...

fryman, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If you are legally doing business in the US, you typically have your business registered in one state or another. A civil suit would typically be filed against that business. Jurisdiction is usually the county of residence of the plaintiff in small claims court, although in civil court it could be either the county where your business is registered or the county of residence of the plaintiff depending on the situation.

If you are out of country, and not a business working in the US then a US court would have no jurisdiction over you.

However, many treaties are in place to hold civil claims valid across borders. And many treaties are in place to enforce criminal penalties for crimes across borders. I believe there are a series of cases where out of country hackers in places like Germany and ... that asian country where they cane you ... have been punished by their home countries for crimes in the US. I know there are several high profile civil claims against middle eastern companies and even a few against countries like Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

Many people set up corporations outside the country to try and avoid legal hassles and end up shooting themselves in the foot in the process by either picking the wrong country or not completing all of their paperwork in order to protect themselves. One guy who did it right was the Kazaa guy. He was underneath a series of shell corporations nested amongst countries who are very uncooperative. I think it was Australian courts who finally tracked him down, but it took years.

nevetS, Sep 14, 2005 IP
    mightyb, Red and Dirkjan like this.
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If my boys cease to function because McDonald's coffee was way too hot, you bet your pitooty I'm going to sue!

nevetS, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  9. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:

Some good information here. Thanks!

mightyb, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  10. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Defenetely, now when Business/Economics kicks in im alright. Just a bit useless at law. Well im waaay too small at the moment to set up a company.

mightyb, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  11. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    You're never too small to protect yourself. I did the same mistake a decade ago and I almost lost everything.

plmerlin, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  12. perdrix

perdrix Peon

Best Answers:
    You are more apt to have a car wreck, then have your business sued out from under you. You run websites, not have a business in a physical location. Unless you're like Kazaa, and are trying to hide who you are, or are stealing other's website information, you're probably not stepping on anybody's toes enough to get sued. If the car wreck is your fault... at least then you won't be sued from overseas.

perdrix, Sep 15, 2005 IP
  13. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to be doing anything shady to want to protect yourself. It's a crazy world.

Agreed. And contrary to what many think, it's not actually expensive or difficult at all to set up a U.S. company for your business. You can do it entirely online, and have the documents shipped to you within two weeks, with the total cost somewhere in the range of USD $400-600.

If you were to form a U.S.-based limited liability company, it'd not only give you better asset protection than a UK limited company, some states even allow you to retain anonymous ownership, meaning trigger-happy competitors or such can sue your business but will have a hard time finding out anything about the management. Not even to mention the tax benefits, once your revenue starts coming in.

Willy, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  14. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I just did some research and its seems like a good idea to set up your own PLC, it takes a few days and only costs like £20-£100

mightyb, Sep 16, 2005 IP
  15. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to wonder what they are suing you over? You don't mention it. I would assume they have a legitimate case against you. In which case I don't feel like helping you out. I am in the USA and just because you are in the UK doesn't mean you can jerk me or my websites around. Depending on what you did would really make me decide wether to go after you. The UK is friendlier to sue from the USA than some countries.

RectangleMan, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No, we don't even know what line of business he's in. However loss of data, loss of time come to mind. Where in some countries you'd simply refund the cost of the license in others you may get sued for incovenience etc.

sarahk, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  17. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    "Im just wondering. What would happen if il get sued by someone from US for example?"

Im not being sued. Im just wondering how international online legal system works. :D

mightyb, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  18. kneukm03

kneukm03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go do a search for "personal jurisdiction". Can't get sued here unless you have enough "contacts" with the state you're being sued in. Internet law is kind of vague on this, so having your web site hosted in the U.S. might be enough to let them draw you in here.

kneukm03, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  19. ockert

ockert Peon

Best Answers:
    Could anybody recommend a country which offers decent hosting and where the legal system does not encourage frivolous law suits?

ockert, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  20. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I can only phrase it like the pirate bay does.

http://static.thepiratebay.org/dreamworks_response.txt
    "Sweden is not a state in the United States of America."

As long as no local laws are violated and/or you risk being extradicted (?) which usually only can happen for crimes with a high punishment. No goverment would like to have their citizens convicted under a foreign countrys laws unless a crime has been commited.

I have been recieving a couple of legal threats but I'm not very concerned because the simple fact that most of them are totally silly to me as a swede. Ofcourse I probably would risk some trouble if I even went to the USA, but why the hell would i want todo that. I could just aswell go to Uganda or some other third world country ...

KingSEO, Sep 22, 2005 IP
    Willy and frankm like this.