1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I herd Alexa wasnt as good as I herd it was?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Aaron111, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Embrance

Embrance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you are in their top 100 ranking it doesnt matter.

Embrance, May 27, 2007 IP
  2. Kontent.solutions

Kontent.solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You've heard right. I have a lot of friends who have no idea what IM is, let alone Alexa :D

So the results what you get is definitely not accurate. If your website is related to IM or anything close to it, then mostly your alexa rank is much better as most of the visitors to your site have an idea what IM is and you can expect them to have alexa tool bar on their browsers.

~G

Kontent.solutions, May 27, 2007 IP
  3. idotcom

idotcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You simply cannot count on alexa rankings. I would give it a max 10% accuracy.

Alexa rankings are based only on it's toolbar usage. According to alexa, there are several million users, Primarily China. Your average target audience is not likely to have the alexa toolbar, which makes your rankings way off.

They even talk about the typical alexa toolbar user. amazon... archive... not your site. Also, I've noticed that websites that attract webmasters or internet traffic people will have higher rankings, and that's becuase more of them have the toolbar installed.

So if you had a website like webmasterforum12.com with 1,000 visitors a day, alexa would show a high ranking.

If you had a site about pets with 10,000 visitors a day, your ranking would be equal or less than the webmaster site.

Quote from alexa:
    You simply cannot count on alexa rankings.

idotcom, May 27, 2007 IP
  4. Aaron111

Aaron111 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree it shut down my pc more than once thats why I had to thread about the alexa tool bar and whats worse than that no pc" to what do I owe alexa?:D

Aaron111, May 30, 2007 IP
  5. Malachim

Malachim Peon

Best Answers:
    That about sums it up, actually. Despite Alexa's protests (no doubt helped by it's poor history) most if not all security suites and scanners will warn about and/or try to block / delete the Alexa toolbar. Personally I still consider the thing slightly insidious.

Also yes, with or without the toolbar installed, you can fudge the rank up to around the 100k mark, though realistically it takes the figure from people (usually webmasters) that use it.

Malachim, May 30, 2007 IP
  6. Spartan_Strategy

Spartan_Strategy Peon

Best Answers:
    One point I might add, while the traffic rank feature is a decent statistical tool, I look more at the number of links and pages viewed per user. Both these numbers can be a more accurate gage for a website. For your personal sites, the page views per user is a very valuable tool.

Spartan_Strategy, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  7. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa ratings are a bit off. It would be like being able to increase your google pr simply by clicking the little green bar enouph times. It can be manipulated rather easily.

primeryder, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  8. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually,

I think, alexa rank is quite useful for directory owners and directory visitors and forums.

Its completely useless for ranking almost any other type of site, the majority of Alexa bar users appear to be webmasters or frequent web users,

so if you target market is that comunity, well Alexa ranking is a useful guide to how you're doing, an it doesn't really matter if its not tamper proof, tis pretty easy to see if a directory is busy or not,

full , many new listings, many submissions, many people talking about it favourably, is busy directory,

empty, very few new listings, no new submissions perday, is a quiet directory

centime, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  9. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    know that is the type of info im lookin for Qryztufre's"
    you hit the nail on the head" I figured their was a niche somewhere".
    I thought the Alexa Tool bar was attached to the browser how do you get it on your site? can I see sample of your web site and what it looks like?

Aaron111, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  10. zinruss

zinruss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa’s definition of the Alexa Traffic Rank:

Alexa ranking is heavily skewed towards websites which have a large webmaster/tech audience. This is because webmasters or web savvy audiences are much more likely to have the Alexa toolbar installed than websites whose visitors are unaware of Alexa. You can still use alexa to measure web traffic because bringing it past the 10,000 or 1,000 mark is still difficult due to competition among websites.

zinruss, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  11. cybertrash

cybertrash Member

Best Answers:
    its true, its not very accurate

cybertrash, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My website is Occult Corpus and you can see the widget installed in the lower left corner. You can download the widget here: http://www.alexa.com/site/site_stats/signup

Though, I've recently dropped to the lower 90k's, still in the top 100 *buff* ;)

Qryztufre, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  13. had

had Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm around 48k, with 2k unique/day..

had, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  14. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    thank everyone for the opinions on how alexa really works as I gather the guy with the smiley face on his foot seems to have the niche on Alexa" that jpeg is out its like saying snell my feet>? "
    but your post are insane I will install the alexa toolbar right away on my browser, how to place on your site has yet to be found"

thanks guys its been great keep the post alive and breathing" everyone gets a cookie for this"

Aaron111, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I like the tool bar from: http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/

a lot better then the one from Alexa itself. This one includes added features, including Google PR, and Compete Rank.

I'm not affiliated with the thing, just a fan...

( I used to have another avatar that I got bad rep for, so yeah, this one is saying smell my foot to the person that red repped me ;) )

16. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    Hey raredog what about your traffic is it more or less? I have a widget on my site>> http://www.sleekbusiness.com thanks to these awesome post here but you say pr what about actual traffic did you see a major difference here?
    and do you have the widget on your site?

Aaron111, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  17. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre" I did not mean a thing its just a first time seeing af oot on a forum thats all"
    nyway thanks for the help I appreciate it" tell me the tool bar does it help rank and traffic like the Alexa one?
    my bad"

Aaron111, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  18. Schappster

Schappster Peon

Best Answers:
    its fun to look at but then again not everyone has the toolbars

Schappster, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I didn't take offense, not in the slightest. I have a GREAT sense of humor, so unless you are actually calling me names, then I'm likely at least snickering...so it's all good ;) :D

And, yes, the new version does effect rank, at least according to their page.

20. Aaron111

Best Answers:
    Aaron111, Jun 5, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.