1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got CAPTCHA?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jl255, May 29, 2007.

Just wrote this interesting article on a new innovative idea of utilizing CAPTCHA for more meaningful purposes, which could be a very good business idea. Do you know that an estimated 150,000 hours are wasted by people like you and I in decoding these CAPTCHAs?

If interested, can read the article here: www.lifesperspective.com

Appreciate your comments!

Tks.

jl255, May 29, 2007 IP
  2. tandac

tandac Active Member

Best Answers:
    tandac, May 29, 2007 IP
  3. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pls don't make accusations without knowing the facts.

There are already a few blog posts on this topic and I'm pretty sure slashdot was not the originator of this information. FYI, I got my source off cnn.com. I have not stolen any ideas except stating the facts and voicing my own opinions. I usually wld give credit, as can be seen in my previous posts, but thought this was not necessary as I was merely using the reported facts to voice an opinion. :mad:

jl255, May 29, 2007 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... very dry beginning but funny by the end.

I am not sure if you are actually being in anyway shape or form serious on this? I will take the bait though just in case you are. If the idea is that someone is helping to decifer difficult to read text how does this work as a CAPTCHA as the site cannot check if you have gotten it right or not?

AstarothSolutions, May 30, 2007 IP
  5. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    Very noble concept but let me count the many flaws ...

1. People whine already about text-picture captcha, how much worse is it going to be when the pages of the book are "aged".

2. Someone has to scan all these pages in so that we can have something to read.

3. If you scan in a page, somehow you have to convert that into 6-8 character chunks

4. If you do this via css (by offsetting the margins) the whole scanned page would have to load killing many terabytes of bandwidth.

5. Programs can do this already ... rendering the captcha absolutely worthless for keeping bots away.

6. If you don't already know what the answer is ... what good is the captcha? Captcha systems rely on the server knowing the correct input, therefore matching it up.

7. How in the world would you organize this across millions of sites? Sessions would not work with an api and if the information is open, would it not be very easy to crack?

I'm sure there is more but that is where I stop. I truly would applaud someone wanting to record all the rare books into text so we can preserve them for generations. Not to mention the fact that people (like me) would never touch a paperback ... but I would have little issues converting a book that interests me into mp3 for my ipod.

ErectADirectory, May 30, 2007 IP
  6. zzzttt

zzzttt Peon

Best Answers:
    I spend some time myself to create a captcha system, but finally I found freecap ... I think it's the best free captcha.

zzzttt, May 30, 2007 IP
  7. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Think u have some valid points, tks. Wld just like to add or respond to some of them:

1. It may or may not be worse with aged books. Think it depends and for some it may even be better. So it is definitely not a one-size-fits-all problem.

2. Someone is ALREADY scanning all the pages. That's how they use OCR currently.

6. Very good point that I did not think about. This is gonna be a BIG problem isn't it? Well, i guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

If you feel like it, wld appreciate u putting these comments in my blog. Think its insightful and valuable comments for others to think about :)

jl255, May 31, 2007 IP
    Arnie likes this.
  8. Xeron.seron

Xeron.seron Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice article, and nice idea. Had to reread twice to understand.

Xeron.seron, May 31, 2007 IP
  9. bunnybling

bunnybling Peon

Best Answers:
    Scanners and ocr are a lot better than it used to be. A quality scanner can easily adjust brightness and contrast to commpensate for faded pages.(simple)

bunnybling, May 31, 2007 IP