1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does RSS slow down and stuff up web sites?

Discussion in 'XML & RSS' started by tridean, Feb 21, 2007.

1. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm using CARP now for my RSS feeds - what a difference!

The time involved is a little more than rssfeedreader, but worth it

tridean, May 24, 2007 IP
  2. wholesalechecklist

wholesalechecklist Peon

Best Answers:
    For some reason, my cron job completely stopped working and I do not know why. I think its the cron job because if I go to the news.php page, I see the rss feed, but if I go to news.html, its just a blank page.

What would cause the cron job to just stop working like this? I contacted rssfeedreader and my hosting company and we havent been able to figure it out for a few days!

wholesalechecklist, May 28, 2007 IP
  3. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what causes that, but I had the same issue and my hosting company couldn't pin point it. In then I just gave up on rssfeedreader.

I found that Carp does a sort of cron task at their end (at least I think that's how they do it).

I'm not sure why you did not receive an email from them. All i did was sign up under 'download carp free' where it says sign up for my 7 day mini-course.

It was a while ago when I did it, and I did it in one night. All the instructions came via email (or links to), etc. Try again with another email address or something. You can see my feed at my wildlife figurines web site in my signature

Dean

tridean, May 30, 2007 IP
  4. MattD

MattD Peon

Best Answers:
    To check the cron task make sure that nothing has changed, like paths or permissions etc. Check the created/modified dates for the output HTML file to see if it ties in with the schedule, then download it and look at the source and see if there is anything there - if there was an error then you might have the error saved there instead of the intended HTML.

It shouldn't just stop working if the original task was setup to repeat for ever - ask your host to check crontab to see if its still listed

MattD, May 30, 2007 IP
  5. wholesalechecklist

wholesalechecklist Peon

Best Answers:
    What should the permissions be for both the php file and the html file?

I dont see any errors and the cron code couldnt have changed because I wasnt even in the cron page and it all of a sudden stopped...

My host as well as rssfeedreader are not helping at all.

wholesalechecklist, May 30, 2007 IP
  6. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    who is the host you are using?

tridean, May 31, 2007 IP
  7. wholesalechecklist

wholesalechecklist Peon

Best Answers:
    hostmonster

wholesalechecklist, May 31, 2007 IP