1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me make a web directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by uttoransen, May 29, 2007.

?

Which directory script to use!!

1. phpld

27 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. site-sift

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Other, please mention in the post!

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. bochgoch

bochgoch Peon

Best Answers:
    Paid version of phpld for me ... but might be worth shopping around as there are some alternatives in development

bochgoch, May 30, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I paid $10 for the support and now regret it, my questions went unanswered, I got better support here. I found this useful the first time I installed phpld 3.1, it's a bit dated but worked fine :) Good luck!
    http://chris.instantspot.com/blog/index.cfm/Tutorials

syted, May 30, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  3. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    thanks everyone, just bought the v3.2 i will install it tomorrow! but then i don't know how to install, hope i will make it, else i will ask help here itself!!

it looks like there staff is pretty supportive, but then, i have not yet bought the $10 support, is the mods and templates in the special support forum helpful! is there some quality resource there, am still thinking to buy the support forum!!

thanks!:)

uttoransen, May 30, 2007 IP
  4. bollym4u

bollym4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    uttoransen man this realy seems to be complicated.. i was thinking to make directory but m waiting for your finalization :) GooD Luck dude

bollym4u, May 31, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  5. infoway

infoway Guest

Best Answers:
    I am using PHPLD $75 version. Good one.

infoway, Jun 2, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  6. WengChun

WengChun Active Member

Best Answers:
    How much better is phplynx compare to phpld? I'm thinking of getting phplynx but it seems so much more expensive than phpld...and its source code is encoded

in general i don't buy any scripts that encoded..

WengChun, Jun 2, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  7. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    i have finally bought 2 scripts, and both are working fine! the friends cyber club web directory is running on phplinkdirectory for $25, it looks fine, lot of features, am pretty much satisfied!
    also, harmu bid directory is running on phplinkbid, where positions are based on the ammount of bid! not all that high on features, but then it's still good! $25 was when i bought, and now it's $29, so i bought it at the right time!!

since the site is hosted on yahoo small business, the friends cyber club webdirectory can't have seo friendly urls, i can't upload the .htaccess file there! i have been told about this by the phplinkdirectory staff, but then i still went with the transaction, i don't care much about those friendly urls!
    over all, phplinkdirectory is pretty nice, and it's absolutely recomended, and the linkbid is also good enough,
    cheers!:D

uttoransen, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  8. WengChun

WengChun Active Member

Best Answers:
    uttoransen , what made you choose phpld over the others?

WengChun, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  9. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    i don't know much, most people adviced me, i went to there forums and talked to the mods and the admins, i was happy with there support,
    just checked the features and it was all fine, there are more people using phpld and too many mods and templates are available, so i went for it.

and yes, am pretty much satisfied with it:)

uttoransen, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  10. WengChun

WengChun Active Member

Best Answers:
    A large users base and plenty of mods and free templates are the advantages PHPLD has over the others i guess....maybe i should go for it too..though phplynx look tempting...

Is there an offer coupon for DP users? :D:D:D

WengChun, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  11. Kutub Utara

Kutub Utara Banned

Best Answers:
    Get the paid version of phpLD.

Kutub Utara, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  12. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    yes absloutely recomended, the 3.2! but then i have kept the backlink! i will later on pay $50 more to get it removed!
    cheers:D

uttoransen, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  13. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman Peon

Best Answers:
    PHPLD is awesome. I use it for my directory.

ultimatehandyman, Jun 3, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  14. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Glad you found one that suited your needs uttoransen, after all, that's what its all about. ;)

The Pheonix, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  15. uttoransen

Best Answers:
    exactly, i mean, am a new one in this directory stuff, so i needed a simple one that is feature rich, also with the lot's of available mods and templates, i can slowly coustomize it with time and knowledge!
    yes, i have found something that really suits me:D

uttoransen, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  16. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Its a lot better to be honest, if you want I could post the reasons why in a 'pound for pound' features list?

Not sure where you get the...
    You've been misled there WengChung? That's one of the reasons I was put off the phpld script as it has a lot of hidden costs for mods so is probably one of the most expensive scripts to run, certainly out of the opensource ones.

Even the phpLynx free version has more features than the phpld FULL version. The full version of the phpLynx script has every mod phpld has AND THEN MORE already built in for just $100 including support and backlink removal.

phpLD cost what,

So my math tell me that phpLynx for the FULL version which you don't need any mods for is only $100 all in. phpLD is $75 plus $10 with no mods, (the costs of mods vary) I read posts on here saying that to get a half decent setup of mods it would cost about $300? To get to the level of phpLynx probably more.

I can post a head to head feature list here if you want though WengChung, perhaps then people can see for themselves which one is value for money. :)

Have to say phpld has tons of templates which is good if you don't mind having the same as others, phplynx are a new script and seem to be releasing quite a few templates now but encourage people to be unique by either making thier own templates or buying one as they aren't that expensive.

I like open code myself if I want to play about with code but I know what I'm doing, most people don't and encryption is a much safer option, it is down to personal preference though.

In a nutshell WengChung, phpLynx is far more cost effective that phpLD, never charges you if it adds features or mods, phpld don't tell you that even though some mods are free most cost either to have them or to have them installed or both.

It also depends on whether you don't mind spending money for the sake of it, me I'd rather break away from the crowd and go with my common sense, I don't want to have to use support as this usually means bugs, you don't see much of that with phpLynx but see a load of it with phpld.

Its just my 2 cents worth though. :)

The Pheonix, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  17. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

PHPLD IMHO is a very good choice....

No stats or graphs needed as it is and remains the directories owner number one choice by experience.. :D

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jun 10, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.
  18. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The free phpld is very easy to maintain.

login, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  19. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    use phpld script and use the latest version for better SEO.

toby, Jun 10, 2007 IP
  20. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not so sure stats or graphs are not needed Malcolm, I read your posts all the time and respect you for your candid opinions but as I am bias toward phpLynx you are clearly bias toward phpld and its your right..

I just had a look at Directory Owners forum and one of thier developers answered a simular question. What Script do you prefer?

It was then responded to by a newcomer to the directory scene.

http://www.directory-owners.com/14050-post8.html

Says it all really.

The Pheonix, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    uttoransen likes this.