1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by e10, Sep 20, 2005.

I did a keyword density check on a website and came up with a 10% density for
    & # 8226; (without the spaces). I had no idea what this was but the keywords that the site needs to rank for were listed down at 3.5%. Turns out the symbol was a bullet point, like this: •

It is not just individual words that this creeps in. It seems the keyword density checker was including the bullet point and following word(s) in two and three word phrases.

I did not design the site and to me it is way too complicated. (Fur coat and nae knickers as my granny used to say).

Would you consider this a problem. I am thinking I will have to advise ripping the bullet points out altogether because the site is already heavy but design is not really my thing, so ... what would you do? Do you think removing the bullets will make any difference?

e10, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  2. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    this is just a code symbol for the bullets as you figured out, you could make them into images or you couldjust use - instead. Google will follow up to 100k of content before it will stop. You could also use css to get the cotent to appear in the top of the code while maintaining the look af the site.

jrd1mra, Sep 20, 2005 IP
    e10 likes this.
  3. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pleae don't take this as a problem. It's just the way your organised your content, with bullets.

When the density of a special html character like :

“ ; °
    Code (markup):
    Exceeds 25% you should have to rectify something. Maybe not even then. But it would not be eye-pleasent though.

This is no longer valid :) This rule has been removed.

Pages of 301+ KB for Google have been indexed for some time now. The exact size is not known.

I can tell you this : Maximum size for Yahoo! is 500 kb.

Cristian Mezei, Sep 20, 2005 IP
    e10 likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. most of those keyword density checkers have their own little quirks - I wouldn't worry about it

2. the concept of keyword density itself is outdated - just make sure your page title, description, and page content contain at least a few repetitions of your primary search terms, worked into a readable narrative for your visitors rather than a string of keywords for spiders, and you'll do fine

minstrel, Sep 20, 2005 IP
    e10 likes this.
  5. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, thanks for all the comments.

e10, Sep 21, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  6. admans

admans Peon

Best Answers:
    I also have the same problem with my IPB forum portal. It shows the CSS stuff in keywords. But ahhh well now i know it doesnt matter.

admans, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  7. Kierslee

Kierslee Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel hit the nail on the head.

Try to use, as appropriate, an h1 tag or two and then a couple h2 and h3's if they fit well into your readable narrative. Make sure the h tags have your keywords/phrases in them, and most importantly that they are used properly for the reader.

Kierslee, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  8. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This discussion really deviated from the initial subject.

A bullet's density :)

Cristian Mezei, Sep 21, 2005 IP