1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP, MYSQL is that the way to go for my site

Discussion in 'PHP' started by gthenappan, May 26, 2007.

Hi I have websites built with 500 product pages, everything static. Now I need to add more pages. It is very time consuming.

But I have all the content to go on the product page in cvs, excel and xml format.

Now I want to add more product page dynamically. But still want to have the category page static.

Read somewhere i can create pages in php and mysql......and what do u think will be the development cost?

IS that the best way to go about?

Any help will be highly appreciated...

gthenappan, May 26, 2007 IP
  2. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes, use php/mysql, and u can still make the url static still by using mod_rewrite.

Development cost will likely depend on who you are asking to build, most probably range from 200 - 1000$, i bet

toby, May 26, 2007 IP
  3. zzzttt

zzzttt Peon

Best Answers:
    You must use php and mysql ... or other
    If you have a site who sell products you can use some free e-commerce solutions like oscommerce, zen cart ...

zzzttt, May 26, 2007 IP
  4. gthenappan

gthenappan Peon

Best Answers:
    That’s for you help toby and zzzttt..really appreciated….

Can I import xml data to the MYSQL or is it easier to import excell or csv and I already have a blog for my website….so will I have to have a separate database or can I integrate with the existing database ?

Actually I have content pages and not an ecommerce page…..

gthenappan, May 26, 2007 IP
  5. manilodisan

manilodisan Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on who's working on importing. Any method can work. I too recommend on switching to a dynamic site right away. Very few and small sites rely on static pages as they are very hard to update and maintain. Not to mention redesign and all that stuff. Pay it and it will pay back.

manilodisan, May 26, 2007 IP
  6. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if it is just product pages and no online buying option then you can try using wordpress and convert all data. or either use oscommerce if you want to make a online shop of your products

forumrating, May 27, 2007 IP
  7. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this can be done in just about any server side language and database combination of your choice. it's completely up to you. php however, is the most widely used as well as mysql. but in the end, it's your decision. PHP, ASP.NET, Cold Fusion, JSP, the choice is yours.

ansi, May 28, 2007 IP
  8. coderbari

coderbari Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ansi seems to be angry with saying only PHP-Mysql :D and zztt wrote....or other.this forum's name is PHP ,so every members of this forum would say PHP-Mysql at first ;).

coderbari, May 28, 2007 IP
  9. Tarek

Tarek Active Member

Best Answers:
    hello :
    you can use the same database if the both scripts doesn't share the same fields names .

however , for security reasons , it's better to use a separate database for each script .

Tarek, May 29, 2007 IP
  10. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh im not angry at all hehe, i was just making a point. i actually prefer PHP/MySQL over any other combination. but i thought i should point out that you have more options than just php/mysql and you could take it in any direction that you wanted to. :)

ansi, May 29, 2007 IP
  11. rkquest

rkquest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most webhosting and servers support PHP so you have a wide range of choices for server and hosting if you pick PHP aside from other server-side scripting languages. Also, there are a lot more web developers that use PHP compared to other scripting languages like JSP and ASP so if you need addons, or having tech issues with your site, you can more easily find help than if your running on other server-side scripting engines.

rkquest, May 29, 2007 IP
  12. cometmall

cometmall Peon

Best Answers:
    Our company deal with such cases, we also do the installation for free

cometmall, May 30, 2007 IP
  13. krt

krt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have the data in XML format or even CSV, then that is great, it saves the work of scraping the HTML of static pages. In fact, all you need to do is get something like osCommerce and have someone make a quick script that parses the XML into the osCommerce database.

Sure, you can integrate with existing database but is there a problem with making a new database for the e-commerce section of the site? It just sounds as if it might be.

By the way, I also highly recommend you use a dynamic system for your site, especially in your case where the initial workload is relatively low.

krt, May 30, 2007 IP