1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What if I don't follow the attribution instructions exactly the same?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fischermx, May 25, 2007.

I plan to do something big with dmoz, I'm preparing software that would make a revolution of its current listings, basically a big depuration in many aspects to the listing and to the categories. I can't disclose details.
    I have a good domain name and will go from that point to create my own directory.
    Due the design of my website, I just can't put the attribution linking to each section, because, it will not be an exact copy at all.
    What am I liable for if I don't follow it to the letter?

P.S. I know a lawyer should be consulted, so in your opinion.

fischermx, May 25, 2007 IP
  2. DPlurker

DPlurker Banned

Best Answers:
    Wasn't it you who asked pretty well the same question in RZ yesterday?

For the definitive answer, check with http://legal.web.aol.com/feedback.html . Nobody else is authorized to give one.

DPlurker, May 25, 2007 IP
  3. fischermx

fischermx Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't recall I have questioned this somewhere else, but I had this doubt for weeks, so may be I did and I forgot :(
    If you saw my question, please tell me where it is :)

4. fischermx

fischermx Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, RZ is resource zone site, well, it wasn't me, I've not been there in months.
    But, I'll look if someone else asked the same.

5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you break your end of the agreement/terms, then you can be held accountable. There should be no questions about it...

If you have "special plans" or "needs" then contact AOL (via the link above) and ask them personally... as asking us is pretty much wasting your time (and I guess ours, but *shrug* I wasn't doing anything)

Qryztufre, May 25, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    IIRC hardest punishment for use of DMOZ data without attribution is that your domain gets banned and will never get listed on DMOZ... the horror! :D

Ivan Bajlo, May 25, 2007 IP
  7. fischermx

fischermx Peon

Best Answers:
    You got the idea.
    Yes, I was asking, because, this is not a copyright issue, at least, not exactly.
    I mean, would the sue me? for how much and based on what?
    Could they DMCA me ?

To make clear my intentions, the thing is that I won't use their categories, they ask to deep link to each category. So, when I present a page with dmoz links, I can't do it exactly that way. I can link to the root, if they like.

Also, this was asked already in DMOZ website and there were no clear response from DMOZ guys. Some lurkers told, that linking to the root might be fine.

8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the best advice anyone can give you. Exceptions have been granted in the past for creative uses of odp data so I know they're open to it when an innovative project comes along that doesn't fit the mold. I could be wrong, but IIRC thumbshots was granted an exception.

Good luck with your project. :)

compostannie, May 25, 2007 IP
    threebuckchuck likes this.